User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    You can also change the settings so your cell carrier thinks the data is going to a phone instead of a Hotspot. I also ordered lmr400uf cable and directional antennas. I recommend going to ltefix.com and looking at what they offer. The one I purchased was cheaper than what I could build one for.
    Whoh now, hold the presses.. I had no idea there was anything that could do that. There are tons of "unlimited cell phone" data plans out there, it's "hotspot" that's got all the limits on it. So this router can make hotspot data look like it's coming directly from the phone? Now THAT would be useful!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Whoh now, hold the presses.. I had no idea there was anything that could do that. There are tons of "unlimited cell phone" data plans out there, it's "hotspot" that's got all the limits on it. So this router can make hotspot data look like it's coming directly from the phone? Now THAT would be useful!
    https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?t=334

There are youtube videos also.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?t=334

There are youtube videos also.
    Amazing. So, what exactly are the carriers doing with these "unlimited data, tethering severely limited and expensive as h*ll plans"? Makes no sense if this is all it takes to step around those limits.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amazing. So, what exactly are the carriers doing with these "unlimited data, tethering severely limited and expensive as h*ll plans"? Makes no sense if this is all it takes to step around those limits.
    I got my unlimited att plan up and running with my WG3526 router. I have a pretty good ATT signal at the house. So far, its working great. I'm eager to try it out in the wild with my directional antennas setup. I'm getting 6 download on 2.4ghz band and 12 on 5ghz bands in a rural area with just the factory antennas. Haven't tried the directional ones yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	router.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	24515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200125-095700_Speedtest.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	24516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200125-095521_Speedtest.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	24517
    Last edited by Maximus216; 01-25-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    its just a software trick to make a LTE router to look like a cell phone. They will still slow you down after so many Gigs, you probably won't tell the difference in real time.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

New Togo plans (rant)

When we went full-time in April of 2018 we had Verizon on my iPhone with a hotspot and T-mobile on my wife’s iPhone. Both unlimited.

Over the first year we consistently saw far better download speeds on the T-mobile line even though the Verizon line had more bars.

This is when we realized bars do not equate to bandwidth (download speed). When I had 4 bars on my Verizon line and she had only 1 bar on her T-mobile line it simply meant a Verizon tower was closer to to us than a T-mobile tower was. But she would still have much faster download speeds.

My guess is there must be far less competing users on the T-mobile towers. Plus T-mobile doesn’t cap your speed, the others do.

During this first year we traveled from Texas through New Mexico, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona and California and we dry camped in remote places a lot.
    But we noticed 99% of the time whenever one phone had no service the other was experiencing the same issue.
    We’ve only been to a few spots where one worked and the other didn’t, and they flip flopped, a couple times only the Verizon line worked or another place only the T-mobile did.
    The Verizon line was about $30 a month more expensive.
    So we dumped the Verizon and have spent the past 6 months or so traveling back across all those same states (except Texas) using T-mobile on both devices and have used a huge amount of data.

Current plan info

We have 2 T-mobile ONE Military lines for our iPhones. Cost is $132 a month for both unlimited lines and unlimited hot spots.
    We also get Netflix with this plan for I think $2 a month.

The features are all outlined below.
    As you can see we use a substantial amount of data streaming.
    In November we were binge watching HBO and Netflix (232 Gb)!

(For transparency I’ve attached several screenshots from my phone.)

Name:	1.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	24518

Name:	2.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	24519

Name:	3.jpeg 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	24520

Name:	4.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	24521

Name:	5.jpeg 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	24522
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-25-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Because I am Morpheus
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    When we went full-time in April of 2018 we had Verizon on my iPhone with a hotspot and T-mobile on my wife’s iPhone. Both unlimited.

Over the first year we consistently saw far better download speeds on the T-mobile line even though the Verizon line had more bars.

This is when we realized bars do not equate to bandwidth (download speed). When I had 4 bars on my Verizon line and she had only 1 bar on her T-mobile line it simply meant a Verizon tower was closer to to us than a T-mobile tower was. But she would still have much faster download speeds.

My guess is there must be far less competing users on the T-mobile towers. Plus T-mobile doesn’t cap your speed, the others do.

During this first year we traveled from Texas through New Mexico, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona and California and we dry camped in remote places a lot.
    But we noticed 99% of the time whenever one phone had no service the other was experiencing the same issue.
    We’ve only been to a few spots where one worked and the other didn’t, and they flip flopped, a couple times only the Verizon line worked or another place only the T-mobile did.
    The Verizon line was about $30 a month more expensive.
    So we dumped the Verizon and have spent the past 6 months or so traveling back across all those same states (except Texas) using T-mobile on both devices and have used a huge amount of data.

Current plan info

We have 2 T-mobile ONE Military lines for our iPhones. Cost is $132 a month for both unlimited lines and unlimited hot spots.
    We also get Netflix with this plan for I think $2 a month.

The features are all outlined below.
    As you can see we use a substantial amount of data streaming.
    In November we were binge watching HBO and Netflix (232 Gb)!

(For transparency I’ve attached several screenshots from my phone.)

Name:	1.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	24518

Name:	2.jpeg 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	24519

Name:	3.jpeg 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	24520

Name:	4.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	24521

Name:	5.jpeg 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	24522

This is very interesting. I had no idea that T-Mobile had that good of coverage. Did you use outside antennas for your signal?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is very interesting. I had no idea that T-Mobile had that good of coverage. Did you use outside antennas for your signal?
    Yes. We use a Weboost Drive X RV.
    I mounted the external antenna on a homemade flagpole that lifts it about 6 feet above the roof.
    While it does help, it isn’t drastic and not really worth the $500 cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a ATT Mobley for $23.45 counting tax. It gives us 20G of 4G and then unlimited 3G. We have been using it at home and travel for aver 2 years.

Last summer I was camping without my wife, so she had the Mobley. I was streaming Netflix with the phone and got a notice from ATT that my data was almost used up for the month, but the month wasn't even a 3rd done. The next day, I went to town and talked with T Mobile. Their $25 prepaid hotspot plan gives me 15G of 4G and then unlimited 3G.
    The secret to many cell phone plans is; purchase the phone. Keep the old plan of at all possible. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. so much for thinking I'd put the TOGO on my RV roof this summer... I'll likely take a hammer to it and put it in the dumpster instead come next November.

Seems AT&T hasn't learned from their days of land line long distance. They don't have Verizon's network, so very few will put up with Verizon's prices from them. It's not like they were losing money on the deal they had. In fact they had a chance to take over the industry and put a serious hurt on wired providers. Give it couple years if that. Someone else will do it instead.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast