User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been looking at hitches for a while and from what I have learned is that if you have a short bed the slider is a must. The slider hitches are really heavy and take up a ton of space. I am going with the Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder. It moves the pivot point back 22”. By using this hitch you can get a much lighter weight standard hitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a B&W Companion slider in my F350 srw short bed. The only time I use the slider is when I need to back my very long rig into my driveway. I’ll echo what others have said. You rarely use it, but when you need it, it’s invaluable. The only downside to having the slider is that it is heavy and cumbersome to take out of the bed.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 F350 srw, 6.7,short bed. When we purchased our S-class 3350 RL, we left it up to our dealer for our hitch. They chose a PullRite OE Puck Series Superglide, and we couldn't be more pleased with the quality, fit and finish, and operation.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebbo02 View Post
    Hello, all! First time poster here...

Any other comments, considerations, or recommendations are certainly welcomed...thanks!

- Rebbo02
    You asked for any other comments so here goes. I'll probably get yelled at and be called the tow police, but have you considered your payload weight. Most 2500 diesels will have around 2000lbs payload you need to look at your door sticker to see exactly what your build will allow for payload. Payload includes a full tank of fuel and just one 150lb passenger(if that's what you weigh). Your wife and kids, lets say 200lbs. The hitch is somewhere around 300lbs so you have to subtract 500lbs from payload even before you hook up the trailer. So again assuming the high side and you have 2200lb payload, you subtract the 500lbs, you are starting out at 1700lbs payload for the trailer.

You might want to check with other 28bh owners to see their pin weight, but usually it is around 20% of the trailer weight. Completely unloaded the pin on the 28bh is around 1700lbs. It might go as high as 2200lbs when loaded.

You will get a ton of people saying they've been towing overweight with no problems.

You need to do your own math, find out your actual payload capacity of your truck's build and make your own decision. If you have already, I apologize, but you asked for other comments or considerations.

Good luck with your purchase and happy camping.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just 2 cents worth... We have the B & W Turnover Ball with the 20,000 Lbs companion on our F250 long-bed. We liked it so much I convinced my brother to buy one for his Sierra 2500 4X4 short bed, but he bought the slider companion.

That being said, he has only slid it back once or twice in more than 12 trips. He has never really needed it, but he likes the peace of mind by having it. Lately though he has been thinking about down-sizing to the standard hitch for a couple of reasons. First, the slide tends to stick and not slide. His pin weight is published at 2700#, but the slide rails can be seen bending slightly and a lot of jerking forward and backward is required to get it to move. Secondly, the B & W Companion slider weighs too much for a single person to lift it our of the pocket, even with the head removed. Two younger "Sumo" types could maybe lift it out. We used a hoist the last time. We will use a hoist to put it back in the spring. I would never trade my B & W, but if we ever get another truck it will be another long bed... Frank & Char.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&W slider fifth wheel hitch

I have a RVK3370 slider for sale out of my 2017 F-250 we traded in on a new 2020 F-350 DRW. It fits Ford trucks with factory prep puck system.It has saved me many times especially in our state parks in Texas. I’m asking $900 , it’s almost two years old but we always had our truck in the garage.
    Last edited by Skijobe; 01-26-2020 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey.....we got into 5th wheeling .....after our truck purchase. We already owned a Ford F-150 and did not want to purchase a new truck. So we looked at GD because they had a line for half ton trucks.

Then.....came the hitch question.....like what you are going through.....and we didn't want to add a lot of unnecessary weight of a huge, heavy hitch in the back of the truck too.

We ended up changing our pinbox to a Reese Sidewinder.....https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...e/RP61422.html ....

This pinbox moves the rotation back 22 inches due to a bearing on the attaching point of the trailer.....instead of being at your hitch. So.....you can purchase a simple hitch for your shortbed truck. Best of all worlds! Lighter AND not one problem with cab and trailer contact!

Love it!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rebbo02,

We bought a new and heavy 5th wheel and consequently a new f350 dually long bed truck so, that I no longer need my Pullrite slider, therefore, it is for sale, if interested.

Gerry
    713-702-2960

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rosieox View Post
    Payload includes a full tank of fuel and just one 150lb passenger(if that's what you weigh).
    Good comments.. Just one clarification point. Payload does NOT include full tank of fuel and one passenger. Payload sticker clearly states weight of ALL passengers and cargo must not exceed xxxx lbs. Fuel is also part of the cargo calculation.

Other ratings like towing capacity etc may include a 150lb passenger and fuel, but not payload.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a cc f250 6.5' box. i didnt get a slide and so far it is working pretty well. I have a Curt Q25. simple hitch and is easy to use with the Ford puck system. pivoting head is nice as well.
    2019 Momentum 350G
    2019 Ford F250 CC Lariat Diesel
    Curt 24k Hitch with puck system

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast