User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5W Hitch Recommendations (Have Truck, Know Camper)

Hello, all! First time poster here...

My family and I (wife, 9-yr old daughter, 6-yr old son, 4-yr old daughter) just purchased a 2019 Ford F-250 (6.7L Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, Short Bed) and are pretty set on picking up a 2020 Grand Design Reflection 28BH, but we're trying to figure out which B&W 5W hitch to get. Here's my question...

Since our truck is a "short bed" (6.75'), how necessary is it to purchase the B&W Companion Slider (RVK3370, $1,623) versus the non-sliding B&W Companion (RVK3300, $1,044)? Is the extra 12" the Slider offers necessary while backing up the 28BH to prevent cab strikes?

Any other comments, considerations, or recommendations are certainly welcomed...thanks!

- Rebbo02
    Truck: 2019 Ford F-250 Platinum, 6.7L Diesel, Crew Cab, FX4, 6' 3/4" (short bed)
    5W Hitch ...in the market for: B&W Companion OEM (RVK3300) or B&W Companion Slider (RVK3370)
    Camper ...in the market for: 2020 Grand Design Reflection 28BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A slider for me in a short bed is a no brainer.
    That extra 600 bucks youd pay in a heartbeat the first time you need to use it, or worse, you blow your window out and crush your cab. $600 doesnt even cover the window, at least in a Laramie ram, ask how I know [emoji12]
    I dont have to slide often per se, but boy is it nice knowing it's there. Kinda like 4wd, if you're stuck you really wish you had it. I actually just used it in napa this last weekend. Where without it I'd have been in a pretty difficult spot.

I think the real burden is not the cost but how much heavier the slider is [emoji1787].
    The companion slider is a great hitch. Very well built. I've had mine a few years now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Companion Slider and like it a lot. You may not need it often but you never know. I use it when backing in my tight driveway and I like to slide it back at the campground even if not needed to give me 12" of additional clearance between my tailgate (down) and trailer so I can duck and walk under the overhang from side to side to chock tires, adjust front jacks and place jack pads.

The Companion Slider is heavy at 270 lbs and so is the non slider. You are already likely going to be over your payload with the 28BH with a F250 diesel which will have a payload of about 2200 lbs. There are many many discussions on figuring payloads and you didn't ask so I won't repeat them here but suggest you do a search.
    Last edited by HighFive; 01-08-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a Chevrolet 2500HD diesel and purchased the B&W Companion Slider for our Reflection. I will agree with everyone else on this - you don't need the slider until you do. In our case with the 2500HD we used it a couple of times. When we upgraded to the 3500HD long bed then we started using it every time we hooked up. It makes it so much easier and gives you a few more inches of clearance between the tailgate and the front of the 5th wheel.

I'll venture to guess that after a year of towing the 28BH with the 2500HD you will start the upgrade to a 3500HD. Several reasons with the first being that using the 2500HD you will have to really watch your weights (oh, the number of times I told the DW that we couldn't add something to the trailer), and a 3500HD will pull the 5th wheel so much better. The chunking on starts and stops will nearly go away.

FYI, I'm the charter member of the three time truck upgrade club. We started with a Jayco 32BHD pulling with a Chevy 1500 Z71. After a year we upgraded to a Chey 2500HD Diesel 4X4 and then traded in the Jayco for our Reflection 311BHS. After about a year we lucked into a Chevy 3500HD DRW Diesel 4X4. We took our first long trip this fall (Texas to Utah) which I don't think I would have attempted without the 3500HD.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar configuration and the RVK3370. I have only needed to slide it twice, both times I was maneuvering into a driveway perpendicular to the road. It was mighty convenient those two times. If you end up waiting a month or two, I’ll probably list the RVK3370 for sale here at a nice discount (I need to sell the trailer first).
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a B&W and i don't need a slider. I put the hitch back 1 hole from the front and no issues. I had a problem and because I had my hitch to far forward. If you look down the hole in the bed you will see how far forward that hole is on the rear end. With the way the hitch is designed you can mount the hitch in the farthest back hole and still be ok.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had exactly that truck with a 351M, short version, yes, you can hit. But you'll have to get close to 90 to do so, you have quite a bit of room.

One other idea I'll throw out there, get a Goosebox and the B/W offset ball. It moves the ball back a few inches, and it does help (you still can't get all the way to 90, but you can get very close). It's a pretty good setup, and you won't have any 5th wheel at all to deal with. Probably wind up costing about the same, the Goosbox isn't cheap, but neither is the companion slider. And it'll save you some weight too, and get you a suspension hitch (the Goosebox has an air ram inside it to reduce the motion between the trailer and truck).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of folks that say they didn't need a slider end up with pics of dented cab corners and blown windows. Just a matter of being in the right (or should say wrong) situation. Better to have and not need, than need and not have IMO.

I went from an AUH (It would make contact under the right condition) to a Demco autoslider with our 28BH when I had the F350CCSB. Loved the autoslider - no thinking... just happens. Downside with an autoslider is they are heavy and you are likely already up against your payload capacity. B&W makes some great products and made in the USA - I have a fixed B&W unit now in my F450.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a 2015 F-350 srw and a Solitude 310 GK and, after some atttemps, my Reese Sidewinder Airborne is the best I have found. It is smoother on the truck and trailer structure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m in the same boat, and I’ve been studying and changing my mind every day for the last week. Trying to compromise weight, turning angle, ride comfort, possible voiding of 5w frame warranty, and (lowest priority) price is a tough puzzle especially when you can’t easily buy multiple hitches and return the ones that don’t work. As of today, I think I’m gonna get the Pullrite Superlite 2600. But tomorrow I might go back to considering the Blue Ox super ride, or the Anderson. All others are just too heavy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast