User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My spring trip to the Rocky Mountains

If things get squared away where I want them I am planning on taking a trip via a more southern route to the Rocky Mountains. I live outside Philadelphia and I have in the past gone west to the Rocky's via Rt. 70 into Denver and Colorado. More recently a trip by way of Rts 80 then 90 through the northern plains to Glacier National Park, down the Continental Divide to the Tetons through Cheyanne Wy. and back on Rt 80. If you know of highlights, attractions, county, state or national parks worth the time I'd appreciate the input. If I think it's worthwhile I'll stay 2 to 3 days to explore an area.
    This time because I have time and the season I want to explore a more southerly route. I'll be leaving late April to mid May. A nice time to see spring come alive.
    I plan on getting to Rt 68 and then on to Morgantown, WV and Rt 79 staying around Morgantown. That's about 300 to 325 miles in a day, about mine and my dog's limit without taxing ourselves. Rt64 will get us through Lexington Ky. to Louisville. I would really like to explore Louisville Ky. some. Passing through about 8 years ago, I got to get a glimpse of Churchill Downs and the Six Flags Amusement Park. I'm sure there is more. Staying on Rt 64, St Louis is the next stop. I recall years ago, coming home from Colorado stopping at a steak house and because I had little money, asking the waitress what was the best steak I could get on a budget. Memories are a wonderful thing. I still think that was the best steak I ever had. Then I take a southerly tack on Rt44 into Oklahoma. Tulsa looks like the next stop. Maybe I could catch the Street Outlaws testing at Tulsa Raceway Park and meet a few of those guys. I spent 3 of the hottest months of my life in Oklahoma City doing a job at OU eight and half years ago. I was staying in the Village near Lake Hefner. I don't know why but I feel compelled to go back. If for no other reason than to have lunch again at Van's Pig Stand in Norman, loved that place!
    From here on is uncharted territory. I would like to get to Albuquerque or Sante Fe NM. and start a journey west through the mountains. They are both too far to arrive in a day so a stop in Amarillo is probable. I'll work my way around New Mexico (when do those wildflowers bloom in Death valley?), Arizona, Utah and Colorado. I used to live in Crested Butte 40 years ago and I was back once about 20 years ago. I'm sure it's unrecognizable now.
    All suggestions will be appreciated, considered and new ideas welcome.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-09-2020 at 04:27 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I would like to get to Albuquerque or Santa Fe NM...
    I'd recommend skipping Santa Fe. Pretty much taken over by people invested in making a buck off of tourists nowadays.

If you want to see parts of New Mexico most folks never do, and you can do without electric hookup for a day or two, follow the Rio Grande river up along Rt 68 and get off on Rt 570 for several great camping spots. Awesome views, great bicycling. Make a day trip the back-way to the Rio Grande Bridge -- a bridge and canyon so unexpected it's a shock to the system. Hopewell Lake Campground is up in the mountains on Rt. 64. Chama, NM has a fabulous narrow gauge all day rail trip that's fantastic. You take a bus to the other end in Colorado, then choo-choo back into New Mexico. Same route the gold and silver ore trains took in the 1800's Highly recommend it.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what a wonderful trip. You have asked for a really large amount of information. There is so much to see and do. So just a couple of small things. First I use Mountain Directory to get an idea of mountain pass road conditions. I bought the original PDF version because internet was not very good when I first started out. I still refer to it often.

A-OK Rv park in Amarillo is a first come first serve park. The good part is the Passport America Rate is $14 a night cash or check. The bad part is it's a little dumpy. But we stayed there a few nights ago and had no issues, it's a decent one night stay kind of park. Flat long pull through, FHU, didn't unhook.

AZ and NM have always been passing through states for us. We will stop for a week or two to do some hiking and such. But I always look for BLM land to boondock on. There is a lot of it out there. We enjoyed Santa Fe, stayed up on the hill. We explored the down town area did a lot of Indian artifact hiking. Wan't real impressed with Albuquerque but enjoyed Toas.

You just have to do your own exploring to find what you like best, there is plenty to choose from.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Wow, what a wonderful trip. You have asked for a really large amount of information. There is so much to see and do. So just a couple of small things. First I use Mountain Directory to get an idea of mountain pass road conditions. I bought the original PDF version because internet was not very good when I first started out. I still refer to it often.

A-OK Rv park in Amarillo is a first come first serve park. The good part is the Passport America Rate is $14 a night cash or check. The bad part is it's a little dumpy. But we stayed there a few nights ago and had no issues, it's a decent one night stay kind of park. Flat long pull through, FHU, didn't unhook.

AZ and NM have always been passing through states for us. We will stop for a week or two to do some hiking and such. But I always look for BLM land to boondock on. There is a lot of it out there. We enjoyed Santa Fe, stayed up on the hill. We explored the down town area did a lot of Indian artifact hiking. Wan't real impressed with Albuquerque but enjoyed Toas.

You just have to do your own exploring to find what you like best, there is plenty to choose from.
    Thanks for pointing me to that directory, really good to know! Please fill me in BLM land and how to locate / identify. With my new generator I can make two to three night stays a thing.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-09-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you stop in Amarillo, TX, you have to eat at the Big Texan. They have a 72oz steak challenge there. https://www.bigtexan.com/72-oz-steak/ Not many try, but it's a fun place to stop and the steaks are good!

Northern Arizona has some pretty spots. If you go north of the 40 towards UT, you can stop by Monument Valley. Many John Wayen/John Ford movies were filmed there, and so was Forest Gump.

When we return from our summer trip to South Dakota, we're going to take 160 across the south part of CO and hit 4 Corners just to say we did, stay at Meteor Crater, AZ and maybe stand on the corner.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    If you stop in Amarillo, TX, you have to eat at the Big Texan. They have a 72oz steak challenge there. https://www.bigtexan.com/72-oz-steak/ Not many try, but it's a fun place to stop and the steaks are good!

Northern Arizona has some pretty spots. If you go north of the 40 towards UT, you can stop by Monument Valley. Many John Wayen/John Ford movies were filmed there, and so was Forest Gump.

When we return from our summer trip to South Dakota, we're going to take 160 across the south part of CO and hit 4 Corners just to say we did, stay at Meteor Crater, AZ and maybe stand on the corner.
    My days of 72 oz. steaks are long past. Monument Valley was on my mind I'll add Meteor Crater and Petrified Forest.
    I was just looking at the map around Homolovi state park and saw Winslow. I just got got what you meant," standing on the corner'.....cool
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-09-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you go for just a steak it's worth it. Just a fun place. Have a safe trip.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Please fill me in BLM land and how to locate / identify. With my new generator I can make two to three night stays a thing.
    Oh boy! You have asked a really big question. Here is the short answer; BLM Camping

But now you have opened the whole boondocking can of worms. It gets to be an art form in the west. There are some new web pages out there listing boondocking locations, you can search this forum and get links. You can google Harvest Hosts for another interesting list of places to stay, essentially they are ranchers that allow one or two people to park for a night or two. Then you have recreation.gov for other federal land campsites, reserveamerica.com does a pretty good list also.

I have been fulltiming for 8 years. Think about it, camping in an RV all across america every night of the year for 8 years. I have only begun to scratch the surface of all that is available. My best advice is to find a place, any place, go there, then scout around, then spend a week, maybe a month depending on what you find interesting.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've camped on BLM land several times in Wyoming and loved it. One place we stayed about 40miles north of Medicine Bow we had been there about 1/2 a day and it was late afternoon . We had the awning out and lawn chairs set up and a cowboy and his dog (following him) came riding into camp. I ask if he would like a beer and he said "Hell yah". He got off his horse, told the dog to lay down, ground tied his horse and sit in an open lawn chair and drank a beer. Really neat conversation and when he finished the beer, he said thanks. Remounted his horse and rode off. We had a map showing BLM land and it was very accurate.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend eleven Mile Canyon west of Colorado Springs. I think it is one of the most spectacular little canyons you ever want to see. The May Museum near Fort Carson in Colorado Springs is worth a look as well. Places to stay in Colorado Springs can be hard to find on short notice so plan ahead. Traffic from Denver to Colorado Springs can be a bear, dont hit it at rush hour cause you will not rush through, you will grind through. Fall colors start in Sept. (late) and go through October and aspes around Antonito (west along the Conejos River) can be breathtaking. Ponderosa Campground is a favorite, but again plan ahead. Looks like a great trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast