User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you specifically asked for SRW responses. I pull with a SRW, I have 2 family members with a DRW with similar trailer weights. Towed with both many times and noticed very little if any difference at this weight (16000 GVWR). I've pulled in 50+ MPH cross winds (it was fun getting 4.5 MPG for most the day), up and down mountains, never felt unsafe.

Disclaimers:
    Though the truck sat level without them I still added bags to stiffen the suspension under load (which IMO is mostly why DRW's "feel more stable") and added higher capacity tires for the extra safety margin. I do watch how I load and don't/won't run a generator. washer/dryer or a aux fuel tank.

If I was to jump to the 20K units I would move to DRW, If I had a dedicated tow vehicle it would be DRW regardless of the weight just for the second rear tire in case of a blow out.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 Ram Laramie crew 3500 longbed, 6.7, aisin tranny My payload is 4081# The ram payload was way higher than the ford. I am pulling a 2014 Solitude 369RL Cat scale on the pin was 2415# with 2 batteries and full propane. Haven't weighed it loaded, but i'm sure I'm still good. Really Don't have that much weight in the front storage. I had a drw for years and just didn't want to be forever having to hand wash it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    "..I had a drw for years and just didn't want to be forever having to hand wash it"
    No car wash!!! That may be a reason not to get a DRW...lol. My wife knows I hit the local Bumble Bee car wash when any dirt starts to show.

Thanks to everyone who commented. Great information. Always learn a lot on here.

I test drove a F350 CC LB recently at BlueBonnet Ford, but as soon as I saw the payload sticker at 3247 (It had a moon roof - which I hate because it adds weight and is not needed IMO) I knew I would be over on payload. Based on the info listed here a 344GK with 1500 lbs of cargo is at ~3100 pin weight. Then add me, wife, two small dogs, our comfort drinks (Diet Coke for me, water for wife) we're going to be a few hundred pounds over.

sigh~
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Momentum 381M and a 2019 F-350 SRW diesel. I chose the SRW since I was within all the load limits with an SRW and I didn’t like the ride on the DRW. I don’t tow with passengers and the pin weight for the 381 is relatively low for the gross weight. If I had any different combination I would have gone with the DRW.

I also added the Loadlifter air bags, since I didn’t like how much the truck squatted under load. That is one area I think helps the dually “stability” since I can definitely feel the difference when I use the air bags to level the truck. Ironically, leveling the truck makes the 381 more out of level, so it is a compromise.

When we replace our truck I will look at DRWs again, but I am happy with the SRW under the configuration we have now.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 300gk that I tow with srw. It can do the job but it's not perfect. The rear end is a little mushy and I believe it is the softer sidewalls on the Michelins that cause that.

Your 5th wheel is 2000 pounds heavier than mine and I personally would want a dually for yours.

For the short trips coming up, I would have no problem driving what you have, but for the long run, dually is the way to go.

To put things in perspective, a tractor trailer is typically rated for 80,000 pounds. But then they get a heavy load and a permit and go down the road at 100,000 pounds. In the real world these ratings are not as precise as some claim that they are. Drive it like you're heavy and go with your gut.

For now, as they say at the track, "Run what you brung."

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=the.jmo;272847]My opinion, from what I've learned. Is that nearly no GD trailer, with the exception of imagine series can be pulled by a 3/4 ton, and few, especially 5th wheel with a 3500 srw. Even a 297rsts puts me near my max payload on paper. A 29rs, essentially a 297rsts in 5th wheel configuration, I'm already over.

I apologize in advance for disagreeing with some of your post. However, I do believe there is common ground between us.

We already owned a 2006 F250 Super Duty long-bed with single rear wheels. We were pulling a 9,000 Lbs 5i5th wheel with no problems. Then we found the "deal of the century" on a 2016 Solitude 379FL that was still under warranty from a private owner. I spent several days trying to decide whether or not our F250 would be able to pull the 14,000+ RV. According to Ford specs for my truck, I am within a few hundred Lbs of the max towed weight and a few hundred Lbs of the max bed weight with our 3400 Lbs pin weight. The F250 is a tank without the body armor. On a level grade it pulls the Solitude all day in "tow/hall" mode in overdrive at 1800 rpm and 62 Mph. I lose ground on steep grades but so do semis. Yes, we have had most of the problems that plagued the 6.0 Diesel (that's another post), but the act of pulling the 14,000+ Solitude has not been an issue. But...

Doing the math on weights it became obvious that the single rear tires with the load of the RV were definitely the weak link in the weight chain. They (load range E) were very near max loading, and there was a noticeable but manageable sway issue. I couldn't see spending a lot of money on an F350 because it is basically the same truck (single-rear-wheel speaking). The max towing weight difference between the two is about 600 Lbs. The bed weight is 1000 Lbs more because of the extra leaf spring on the F350. They both (single wheel) use the exact same rear axles. Instead of buying another truck we decided to install a dually kit by Arrowcraft in Roya Oak, Michigan wwwarrowcraft.com. The entire kit including 7 wheels (spare), four new Michelin tires, and dually fenders painted and installed cost about $4200. My fear of blowing a tire in the Tennessee mountains is gone, and sow is all of the sway! The difference pulling the RV is wonderful and relieving. The moral of this story... "Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily SHOULD do it". However, just because you HAVE an F250 doesn't necessarily mean you CAN'T have a dually!!! The F250 will do the job, but having a dually makes life so much better. Besides, it fun to see people look at my F250 and get a very curious look on their faces... Frank & Char.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180613_080806619_HDR.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	24325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180613_080923935.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	24326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180613_081108972_HDR.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	24327

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me that it may have been cheaper to just buy the drw 350 than buying the 250 and paying for an after market dually be put on. A 350 sin't much more than a 250. If you are financing I don't think you would even notice the difference in the monthly bill. Besides I am not a big fan of after market items being put on my new truck.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confident my SRW RAM would do fine ... my new S Class will be small and lighter 34 feet and maybe 13700 loaded ... I will be way under all capacities ... my GVWR is 12300 and payload is 4394 ... I do not think I would go above a 15000 lb 5ver .... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said .. IMO is mostly why DRWs feel more stable .. .what is IMO?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MollyFR3 View Post
    .. .what is IMO?
    In My Opinion
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast