User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Momentum 350M/351M thoughts

I haven't seen actual specimens yet but based on my previous research and ownership of a GD Solitude, I think the Momentum 350 or 351M would be a good choice. It's length and weight is where I want to be, the cargo capacity will work fine since my toy will be a single Harley Davidson at 775#, tools and gear. For current or past owners, how did the layout work for you. Things like seating position for TV viewing, operating around the kitchen, etc. I'm hoping to locate a good 2016 or 17 so I figure that tires, bearings and brakes will need serviced or replaced. What is the general census of suspension, springs, etc. What defects have owners of these had to put up with? Any comments good, bad and ugly would be appreciated.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owner of a 2016 350M purchased new in spring of 2016.

Very happy with this unit. Had 3 issues (2 were known issues on the forum, 1 was easy fix by us, 1 repaired under warranty).

1. Hydraulic system has a self-resetting breaker ($20 item) that went bad. Most recommend swapping it out from 50 to an 80amp). I replaced second season of use and has been great ever since.

2. Leaking hub (grease seal). Replaced all under warranty first season and hasn't been an issue since. This was a known issue on Lippert axles.

3. Had to replace hydraulic ram on main slide out. Internal seal allowed slide to partially open when stored.

Life has been great for past 2 years with no issues. Overall we are very happy with the fit, finish, and quality of our Momentum.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 381, same as the 351 but with the larger garage. We really like the layout. One point between the 350 and 351 is the layout of the kitchen. We actually waited until the 381 was out vs the 380 before ordering, for that reason. The stand alone island and hutch give you much more storage space, and it's much easier to get around in the kitchen without it being a "dead end". We find there is ample counter space to prepare and cook meals. If more is needed we put one or both covers over the sink. Sitting on the couch to watch TV might feel a little cramped in that you are close to the island, but there is sufficient space to walk passed with the recliners open and the flip-up counter up. You have to be somewhat creative to use the storage space above the TV since they're odd shaped and not very deep. Any specific interior or exterior questions, ask away.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 01-08-2020 at 11:07 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 351M here. No major issues or warranty work needed in 1.5 years - several small annoyances that I fixed myself. We went with the 351M due to the layout around the TV. Never liked rigs where the TV is off to one side versus out in front of you. Didn't really like the idea of the rear half bath at first, but we are now fans for sure. We take our nephew's kids camping a couple of times each year, and it is nice keeping them in a separate bathroom. Even better when I take my 3 adult sons on riding trips (dunes, etc.) - I keep the main bath for myself. I do wish it had a second gray tank, however. The specs are BS, as they count the rear single tank twice - once as gray and once as black. In reality, trailer has three 39-gallon waste tanks. 1 gray and 1 black upfront and 1 gray/black for the rear half bath and laundry. Our front gray is always a limiting factor when dry camping.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato View Post
    2019 351M here. No major issues or warranty work needed in 1.5 years - several small annoyances that I fixed myself. We went with the 351M due to the layout around the TV. Never liked rigs where the TV is off to one side versus out in front of you. Didn't really like the idea of the rear half bath at first, but we are now fans for sure. We take our nephew's kids camping a couple of times each year, and it is nice keeping them in a separate bathroom. Even better when I take my 3 adult sons on riding trips (dunes, etc.) - I keep the main bath for myself. I do wish it had a second gray tank, however. The specs are BS, as they count the rear single tank twice - once as gray and once as black. In reality, trailer has three 39-gallon waste tanks. 1 gray and 1 black upfront and 1 gray/black for the rear half bath and laundry. Our front gray is always a limiting factor when dry camping.
    That's not how I understand the tanks work. I thought I read somewhere the front tanks are 52 gallons each. The rear tank is shared between black and grey and is 52 gallons. If evenly utilized, it would give 26 gallons to black and grey in the rear. GD added 52 and 26 to get the 78 gallons total capacity each of black and grey on the rig.

I'm used to a 30g shared between my family of 4, so this is much better. Lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that is true of the new ones. Mine has three 39-gallon tanks, per GD's confirmation and the tank diagram they sent me...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=LV Naturist;272845]We have a 381, same as the 351 but with the larger garage. We really like the layout. One point between the 350 and 351 is the layout of the kitchen. We actually waited until the 381 was out vs the 380 before ordering, for that reason. The stand alone island and hutch give you much more storage space, and it's much easier to get around in the kitchen without it being a "dead end". We find there is ample counter space to prepare and cook meals. If more is needed we put one or both covers over the sink. Sitting on the couch to watch TV might feel a little cramped in that you are close to the island, but there is sufficient space to walk passed with the recliners open and the flip-up counter up. You have to be somewhat creative to use the storage space above the TV since they're odd shaped and not very deep. Any specific interior or exterior questions, ask away.

Did you look at a 350 with the slides in specifically how much of the interior is accessible. Looking at the floor plan diagram it doesn't like you could get past the kitchen peninsula counter where as the 351 would give access to perhaps 1/2 the refer. When I take a trip I tend to do some long days with stops in rest areas or Walmart or such and sometimes it isn't prudent to put the slides out. I like to be able to access the refer for supper and beverages of my choice.

Thanks for the comments and it looks like the 351M is in the lead position.

EDIT; Actually probably wrong about the refer comment in the 351. Mixed up the refer position with the 349.
    Last edited by chunker; 01-10-2020 at 06:57 PM.
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    Did you look at a 350 with the slides in specifically how much of the interior is accessible. Looking at the floor plan diagram it doesn't like you could get past the kitchen peninsula counter where as the 351 would give access to perhaps 1/2 the refer. When I take a trip I tend to do some long days with stops in rest areas or Walmart or such and sometimes it isn't prudent to put the slides out. I like to be able to access the refer for supper and beverages of my choice.

Thanks for the comments and it looks like the 351M is in the lead position.

EDIT; Actually probably wrong about the refer comment in the 351. Mixed up the refer position with the 349.
    You are correct, the refer is not accessible with the slides in on the 351/381. The freezer is accessible, but you kinda have to sit on the island, unless you have really long arms. With the slides in, you have full access to the front bathroom and bedroom, and the hutch but that's about it. In a pinch, you do have access to the microwave so you could fire up the genny and nuke a frozen entree for something to eat and use an ice chest for a cold one.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    You are correct, the refer is not accessible with the slides in on the 351/381. The freezer is accessible, but you kinda have to sit on the island, unless you have really long arms. With the slides in, you have full access to the front bathroom and bedroom, and the hutch but that's about it. In a pinch, you do have access to the microwave so you could fire up the genny and nuke a frozen entree for something to eat and use an ice chest for a cold one.

John
    John a question about the slides. I presume the 2 in the living area are hydraulic and bedroom electric. In my 15 Solitude a single control for the LR slides was offered and basically you accepted which ever slide went out first. There were valves on top of the hydraulic pump that you could close to isolate one or the other actuators. My understanding that in later model Solitudes, the actuator control valves were moved to the right side propane tank area and have more readily accessible and usable shutoff valves. Did this feature make it to the Momentum M class?. Actually the best solution I see is an actual control for each slide but in the past wasn't offered with hydraulic versions. Reason for the concern is a stop at a rest area for lunch or a previously mentioned overnight with limited space. Run the slide out a bit to access the fridge and close after use.

How noisy is the generator when attempting to sleep? My 2011 Raptor 300MP had an east/west bed in a slide with of course the gas generator directly under the bed area. Bed and bath was usable with the slide in. I'll say after a long day and parked in a Louisiana rest area along side of I-10, with the air going above my head the traffic didn't interfere at all with sleeping.
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @chunker My 2017 Momentum has the slide hydraulic valves in the curb side propane compartment. I would guess the new ones have them there as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast