User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need tips on quick one night stop overs - minimal safe set up for quick AM departure.

As title mentions, on our next 3 month trip, Jun-Aug, 2020, we will me making a number of short-lived one night stands on our way to our next Campsite. We have done this a few times in the past but would like some input on your successful best practices that allow for a comfortable nights sleep combined with a way to breakdown in the morning to make a quick and efficient getaway.

Here is what we have done in the past which has worked “ok” but you may have other ideas that we would find helpful: (our rig and tv are listed below)

What we do NOT do:
    Extend our slide, lower the stabilizer jacks, hook up 2nd FW drain, disconnect from WDH/TV.

What we DO:

Put chocks behind tires, put tv Emgncy brake on, hook up the forward Blk/Gry drain hose, hook up 30 amp service, lower front jack to touch ground/block only lightly, and minimize walking around in rig too much before going to sleep. I can typically do all this in less than 45 min.

All tips, suggestions appreciated.

Dave and Sue
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This assumes campgrounds, and not rest stops/Walmarts, but could apply to those too:
    With both my prior fifth and the current trailer: I skip the drain hose - it's why I have black/gray tanks. If wanting to be really minimal, I carry some water and then don't even do the water hose. If the result when I back in makes me reasonably level (I may block wheels if needed for side-to-side), I just leave it hooked up. I hate sleeping head up or down, but if it is good enough for that, it is good enough for everything else in the RV. I do extend the slides - have to use the trailer comfortably. Then it is pretty much unplug power, put in slides, and go....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you sande005. yes, this is for campgrounds only (I should have mentioned that) my current wife wants H2O so twisting on the water only take a few mins. I skip the filter for one night stands.
    I agree, if the slant is too much to deal with, I'll lay down a couple of 12x12's and pull on top of them. I CAN skip the drain hose, I just prefer not to travel with the extra weight unless the next stop is less than 200 miles which is almost always the case. We can operate 100% with our slide in as this model is perfect for that, which is one of the major reasons we bought the 2250RK.
    Thanks again for your input. Travel Safe!!
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have got it down. I have pulled into a fairly flat campground, connected the power (mostly so I can make coffee in the morning), turned on internal water and gone to bed. That is the least I have done. Note, the site was pretty level. Oh yeah, I do have to put out the main slide on my model to get to the bedroom.

I also travel with my fresh water tank 1/3 full. This covers these situations, potty on the side of the road, and the occasional water shut off at the park.

Sometimes I will put the front jacks down just to add some stability. Sometimes I will put all 6 jacks down in the manual mode just to add more stability. When I do this I am careful not to torque the hitch connection, if that's an issue I unhitch.

Over nighters where we don't shower I rarely hook up sewer.

If I am on a hill I block the trailer, always. But when this happens I tend to have to unhitch also to get things level enough to comfortably sleep. Hand in glove kind of thing.

Lots of choices without any one being the absolute best, but your initial post indicates you understand all the basics.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just done this very thing over Christmas here's what I did on my four one night stops with my 5er.

Chock wheels
    Drop front jacks to just lift load off truck. Basically at level I would disconnect.
    Drop rear jacks to stabilize.
    Connect 50Amp cord.

Water tank has sufficient water, so I just run off pump. No need to hook up water hose.

Black/Gray tanks are sufficient volume.. no need to dump, although I did on last day before I got home.

Setup is quick.. departure is even quicker. One button on the six point retracts all jacks, unplug power cord, pull in slides, remove chocks, Im gone.

Also assumes a pretty level site.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For quick overnighters we ask for a pull through as level as possible. If close to level we don't even unhitch. We have a 30 amp cord ready to use, lighter/easier to work with for 1 night. Put the stabilizers down (sometimes we don't do this) and that is about it.
    We only hook up water (sometimes we don't) , always use a water filter even if it is just the blue inline one . You don't want unwanted sediment in the water heater. If we're stopping early enough for dinner we keep it simple and reheat something. Sometimes I'll have meals ready in the freezer to reheat in the microwave. Throw away dishes and silverware.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    As title mentions, on our next 3 month trip, Jun-Aug, 2020, we will me making a number of short-lived one night stands on our way to our next Campsite. We have done this a few times in the past but would like some input on your successful best practices that allow for a comfortable nights sleep combined with a way to breakdown in the morning to make a quick and efficient getaway. Here is what we have done in the past which has worked “ok” but you may have other ideas that we would find helpful.

What we do NOT do:
    Extend our slide, lower the stabilizer jacks, hook up 2nd FW drain, disconnect from WDH/TV.

What we DO:

Put chocks behind tires, put tv Emgncy brake on, hook up the forward Blk/Gry drain hose, hook up 30 amp service, lower front jack to touch ground/block only lightly, and minimize walking around in rig too much before going to sleep. I can typically do all this in less than 45 min. All tips, suggestions appreciated.
    You don't need us armchair bloviaters, you can TEACH this stuff! Your approach looks great to me.

The one thing I'd consider not doing is the sewer hookup. Draining tanks with only a little waste in them or - worse - leaving them open so they drain as they are used increases the chance of solids staying in the tanks and perhaps thoroughly attaching themselves to the tank over time.

If you're not already pushing the envelope concerning the weight of your trailer and on your truck, I would just collect stuff in the tanks for a few days of travel before dumping them. It's actually a good thing to have stuff sloshing around in the tanks as you drive along - helps keep them and even their sensors clean. You can make this even better by practicing the "GEO method" (search that with Google) and putting soap and water softener in your tanks. You'll be able to eat out of those tanks.

Of course, you may not want to give up the pleasures of dealing with the waste dumping system every time you park. To compensate you could volunteer to help one of your camping neighbors dump instead. We have a Solitude 310GK and a white truck, travelling in the southeast soon, license number is...
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends how quick you're talking. While new at this, we've spent 2 "real quick" nights at truck stops, resting up during a long drive (pull in at 11-midnight, back on the road when the sun comes up). We don't really do anything there except turn the truck off and walk into the rig, up the stairs to the bedroom and go to sleep. Well, start the genny, but, that's really the extent of it. It's one of the reasons we insisted "no bed in a slide" for our use, we knew we'd be doing some of this kind of "camping" and wanted to make sure we could get in and get to the bedroom/sleep without extending anything. And it's worked out well the times we've done it, no, not great scenery, and the trucks are often running, so there's background noise. But a lot nicer than trying to find a hotel at midnight and check in, and takes 1/10th the time from deciding to stop to actually sleeping. I really like it because it gives us a lot more flexibility on the road, if the weather sucks, just pull over and rest/wait it out rather than try to power through it (which we always did the past on road trips, not many hotels that'll let you check in with 2 dogs and 3 cats!).

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We just tilt the seats back and sleep in the truck. Done it many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I complete the solar/battery/inverter install on my trailer, the quick overnights will simply be:

Park (leave hitched to truck - if pretty level, no chocks needed - parking break on)
    Hit the button to auto-level
    Slides out
    Open propane tanks
    Done

I try to always keep the fresh tank at least 1/3 and will dump the waste every few days as needed.

The power system upgrades will provide power to trailer with no action needed.

Breaking down "camp" is just the reverse order. We have a residential fridge so I close propane when we are rolling.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast