User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 12volt to 2 six volts

I'm switching out the single 12volt battery that my Momentum 328G came with to two 6volt golf cart batteries. My question is: There are two 1/0 cables (positive and negative) coming into the 12volt battery. Do I need to use the same size cable to hook up in series? I also have the factory 300watt solar panels installed. Thanks for any help on this question.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would make the cable with largest size cable that you can and make the cable as short as you can. You want to decrease the resistance as much as you can. Think of it as a pipe. You want to make the flow of electrons as easy as possible. Increasing the flow through a smaller diameter will increase resistance, generate heat and through reduce the effective capacity of your battery bank.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldpan View Post
    I'm switching out the single 12volt battery that my Momentum 328G came with to two 6volt golf cart batteries. My question is: There are two 1/0 cables (positive and negative) coming into the 12volt battery. Do I need to use the same size cable to hook up in series? I also have the factory 300watt solar panels installed. Thanks for any help on this question.
    In a word....Yes. Any wiring smaller than the 1/0 will cause a higher resistance in the circuit. Make sure and buy the proper size crimp connectors and use a quality crimper to make the cable with the lugs on it. Using a larger cable than 1/0 will not hurt a thing, but it's unnecessary. Using a smaller gauge cable than 1/0 will affect current flow in the battery circuit.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got mine at a auto parts store. 6"s with the ends on it. Works great
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymee317 View Post
    I would make the cable with largest size cable that you can and make the cable as short as you can. You want to decrease the resistance as much as you can. Think of it as a pipe. You want to make the flow of electrons as easy as possible. Increasing the flow through a smaller diameter will increase resistance, generate heat and through reduce the effective capacity of your battery bank.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks to Jaymee317 for the heads up. Wasn't sure about cable size, but now I know. Safe travels....

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    In a word....Yes. Any wiring smaller than the 1/0 will cause a higher resistance in the circuit. Make sure and buy the proper size crimp connectors and use a quality crimper to make the cable with the lugs on it. Using a larger cable than 1/0 will not hurt a thing, but it's unnecessary. Using a smaller gauge cable than 1/0 will affect current flow in the battery circuit.
    Thank you xrated. Am going to the battery shop today. I had read somewhere that's the way it should be connected. You've confirmed my thoughts. Save travels....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a silly question, but why would I replace a 12V deep cycle with (2) 6V batteries? Always looking for better battery performance, but not ready to pay up to Li prices
    CJ & Jo
    RIP: Rocky & Rya
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjohnson View Post
    Maybe a silly question, but why would I replace a 12V deep cycle with (2) 6V batteries? Always looking for better battery performance, but not ready to pay up to Li prices
    6-volt batteries are generally designed with heavier plates than a typical 12-volt battery. My 6-volt batteries are rated at 238 amp hours each. The 6-volt batteries generally last much longer than a 12-volt battery in my experience. That is a lot of capacity. Lithium batteries can be discharged a lot deeper than a lead acid battery but you pay for that performance. In the long run they may be cheaper than lead acid batteries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a good resource for learning about how to do a 12->dual 6 conversion?

EDIT: I've found a ton of information online, and looks like it's pretty straight forward. Just need to figure out a better battery tray setup.
    Last edited by Cjohnson; 05-26-2020 at 07:03 AM.
    CJ & Jo
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The battery box in my 327M is a vented model. Should I be concerned about using vented boxes as I move to dual 6volts?
    CJ & Jo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast