User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I've used truck stops many times, ranges from $2.50 - 2.90 /gal depending where. Eitherway, much cheaper than buying a jug from a store. No clue on the Ram since I have a Ford, but the nozzle fits perfectly in the Ford filler tube, I'd imagine they are a standard size.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    +1

I use my TV as a daily driver and can go months before I get to a half of tank on Def. I have a Pilots about 8 miles from me so when it's time to fill up I'll swing by - in and out.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get too excited about DEF. I buy it when the truck says it needs it. If I am going through a truck stop I use the DEF there to fill. If not available I buy it at Wal-mart, or auto parts store. I got concerned when a truck forum was trashing Blue-Def, did a little research, couldn't find where it makes much difference. My understanding is that it is ammonia and water, how hard can that be.

i buy it when I need it, I try to buy cheaper when I can get it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEF is no big deal for me and I tow quite a bit. I use either the Peak Blu Def or by from the pump. It is critical you get fresh fluid so this is an advantage of buying at the pump as they are selling a lot of DEF. There is a date code imbedded in the printed number on the Peak Blu Def boxes you can find videos on YouTube on how to interpret the code. DEF has a shelf life of two years, however, exposure to direct sunlight or higher ambient temperature for an extended period of time can diminish shelf life. Although more expensive that some competitors, this is why I suspect Peak packages it’s product with the bottle inside a box as this will at least deal with the direct sunlight issue. DEF will also freeze so this is also important for storage.

It is also important to ensure that the inner seal is intact when you purchase bottled DEF as some retailers have had issues with nefarious folks returning the bottles to the store for credit with plain tap water in the bottle after they used the DEF.

DEF is 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water. It is injected into the exhaust and breaks down the nitrogen oxide into separated nitrogen and oxygen which I understand is less harmful for the environment. Most medium and heavy duty truck manufacturers went with this Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) to meet the 2010 EPA guidelines. Unlike Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) systems the SCR system is a post combustion system so it has less impact on torque/HP numbers.

I wish they could find a way to get the EGR systems off of these trucks as I believe it is the one shortening engine life the most. The carbon particulate present in the exhaust is abrasive and going back through the combustion cycle causes wear on the cylinder walls and other components. To me this is crazy - like taking a handful of sand and throwing it into the intake. I’m sure if Rudolf Diesel were alive he would wonder what we were doing to his creation...
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My truck is close to 3 yrs old and I've been using the Peak Blue from Walmart. About $12 bucks for a 2-1/2 gallon jug. No big deal keeping up with this and depending on towing or not it lasts a good while.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Been using Walmart brand Super Tech DEF 2-1/2 gallon jugs exclusively. Currently it’s about $7.88/jug. It comes with a long flexible plastic corrugated hose that allows easy filling in my Ford Diesels.

Before going to cash register I unscrew the cap and confirm the seal is intact.

Whenever the truck’s DEF gauge reads 1/2 full I add a jug. I believe my Ford def capacity is 7.5 gallons.

THis is what we do.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use Ford's it's about the same price for me and add one jug when the gauge reads 1/2 full. One jug takes it back to full, easy peasy. In 6000 miles I've used 5 gallons of DEF and that's with about 3000 towing miles, it's not that big an expense.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Been using Walmart brand Super Tech DEF 2-1/2 gallon jugs exclusively. Currently it’s about $7.88/jug. It comes with a long flexible plastic corrugated hose that allows easy filling in my Ford Diesels.

Before going to cash register I unscrew the cap and confirm the seal is intact.

Whenever the truck’s DEF gauge reads 1/2 full I add a jug. I believe my Ford def capacity is 7.5 gallons.
    X2. Walmart brand Supertech DEF. $7.88 for 2.5 gallons. Been told in the past it's the same quality as name brand Blue DEF. I haven't seen anywhere where someone using Walmart brand has had problems with their engine.
    2018 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Laramie Longhorn
    GVWR 12,300
    Open Range 2910RL TT (soon to trade in)
    In search of Grand Design Fifth Wheel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that no one (unless I missed it) simply has the dealer fill the DEF when doing the oil/filter change service for those of you who have a dealer or other service center do so. We have done that since day one and the dealer whom I used does not itemize it one the bill......it's probably built into the roughly $70 oil/filter change price. I figure that the dealer (GMC/Chevrolet and RAM truck as well) goes through a fair volume of DEF so should be fresh......and I do not have to mess with it.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Interesting that no one (unless I missed it) simply has the dealer fill the DEF when doing the oil/filter change service for those of you who have a dealer or other service center do so. We have done that since day one and the dealer whom I used does not itemize it one the bill......it's probably built into the roughly $70 oil/filter change price. I figure that the dealer (GMC/Chevrolet and RAM truck as well) goes through a fair volume of DEF so should be fresh......and I do not have to mess with it.

Dan
    You've got a good dealer. I was at a dealer for an oil change and they stated my DEF was low (I had about a 1/4 tank left). They asked if I wanted them to fill it. I thought "Why not?". I should have asked how much before agreeing. My mistake and lesson learned. They charged me $30 for something that should have cost no more than $15.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Def

Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    So I'm new to diesel ownership, and realize this is probably a newb post. I bought and used a bottle of DEF when I got low. Came in a box and picked it up at an auto parts store when I was getting oil for my daughter. It was about $17 after taxes. It didn't fill the tank. That would have taken more than one. Worse, it dripped and I got some on my shirt.

They sell it at truckstop pumps. Does anyone fill theirs at a Pilot or Loves? If so I'd be curious what you pay a gallon roughly or on a best guess average, and how filling on that side of a truckstop works. Will their DEF pumps fit the Ram filler tube? What's the best cheap source you've found?
    Get your DEF at Walmart. They carry two brands. One is twice the price of the other so pick carefully. The cheaper version is $7+ for a 2 1/2 gallon jug. When my DEF light comes on on my F-250 I buy two jugs and it pretty much fills it to the top.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast