User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Interesting that no one (unless I missed it) simply has the dealer fill the DEF when doing the oil/filter change service for those of you who have a dealer or other service center do so. We have done that since day one and the dealer whom I used does not itemize it one the bill......it's probably built into the roughly $70 oil/filter change price. I figure that the dealer (GMC/Chevrolet and RAM truck as well) goes through a fair volume of DEF so should be fresh......and I do not have to mess with it.

Dan
    You've got a good dealer. I was at a dealer for an oil change and they stated my DEF was low (I had about a 1/4 tank left). They asked if I wanted them to fill it. I thought "Why not?". I should have asked how much before agreeing. My mistake and lesson learned. They charged me $30 for something that should have cost no more than $15.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Large truck stops like Flying J and Love's have DEF pumps. Usually, half the price of the plastic containers in boxes. WalMart typically has the best price. I do not get as much mileage on the cheaper brands (for example, O'Reilly sells its on DEF).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a couple of jugs of Walmart DEF for the first time in 2018, and within less than 200 miles I had a check engine fault BUT it was not NOT the fluid.

I'm posting here because I asked the service manager if that inexpensive Walmart DEF could be the problem and he instantly waved it off saying "no need to be picky about that stuff, it's all the same as long as it has the conformity seal on its label".

The fault was something else - a glow plug getting jittery - and I was on my way. For nearly two years since I've used whatever I find at a good price - including Walmart - and never had an issue.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will be surprised at how far you can go before adding DEF
    You never add it till the truck says you have X miles till limp mode. I have a Ford so thats 500 miles. Not sure about the other trucks.
    My 15 only has 5 gallon tank and it never takes both boxes of DEF. Get the nozzle for your truck, the one in the box is junk and will make a mess.
    I never buy my DEF at a truck stop. Sure it may be cheaper but look at how dirty the nozzle is. I'm not putting that in my truck. I don't even buy fuel at a truck stop. Fuel is expensive there and most gas stations have enough room for a 5th wheel.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always found that WalMart is THE PLACE to buy motor oil, as they purchase the stuff wholesale by the train load. And if you're not brand oriented and can use their house brand of motor oil, you can really come out ahead.

But there again, AutoZone, Advance and O'Reilly's also purchase fluids by the train load. But they're not willing to heavily discount the prices and are sky high on motor oil prices.

The same would hold true for DEF pricing.

I have noticed that WalMart's price on Motorcraft FL1995 oil filters has almost doubled to $18.99 (from $9.99). They're taking advantage of us old 7.3 engine diesel users.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pump the DEF at truck stops, and I also fill up a 2 1/2 gallon plastic gas can and keep it in the back of my pickup. I pump the DEF out of the gas can with one of those cheap battery operated pumps.
    To fill the gas can you need a magnetic collar which costs about $50. Well worth the money. I sometimes needed it to be able to fill the DEF tank in my Ram 2500. I traded the 2500 in for a Ford 250, but I haven't filled the DEF tank yet. I don't know if I will need that collar with the 250. When I fill the 250 I will refill the 2 1/2 Gal can also.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought at gas stations by the jug, walmart and autoparts stores. They all seem to work. I also fill up at love an Pilot . Like the gas station fill up but my filler (2500 chevy) is on the far side of the engine compared to the fuel cap So it requires I fill with def, then pullup five feet to fuel up. Is a bit of a pain but really am sure the def tank is full as opposed to one jug when ever I think it is ready. Is a bit cheaper at Love and Pilot. It all seems to work.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I refill an empty DEF jug every now and again when I'm at the truck stops and have on with me. You don't necessarily need a fancy collar. I nice big steel washer works perfectly for about $0.25 at the hardware store if you don't have one laying around. 400-series stainless funnel works too.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get "dedicated" jugs for DEF and refill them at truck stops. There is one at https://www.amazon.com/FAIR-TRAILS-E.../dp/B074QRRK15 and if you scroll down the page, there are tons of other options.

It can begin to degrade in high temps, and can freeze, so be careful about storing it for extended periods. These are, however, a good thing to have as a backup. Just do your next refill from them, then refill it at the truck stop the next time.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walmart DEF for my RAM ... needle hits 1/2 add one last about 2500 miles ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast