User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used Medical LiFePo4 Batteries?

We’ve got some big trips setup for this year, one is to Rocky Mountain National Park for seven days. Our year old 2500RL currently has a Group 24 Deka that seems like more of an anchor than a battery.

I don’t have a ton of knowledge as this is my first camper and first solar. I used to sell batteries so I have some knowledge there.

The campground doesn’t have electric hookups and I’m considering either two 6V GC2’s from Costco, two used Valance U1’s(12v40ah) or begrudgingly one battle$ born$.

I’m considering a 200 watt solar renology suitcase for charging duty.

Im a little sensitive to adding more tongue weight, our suburban has a 1000lb hitch rating and I feel we are very close. I think two GC2’s(120lbs+)would put us over that. I have a tongue scale arriving next week.

Does anyone here have experience with these Valance batteries? They are used in medical carts and have to be replaced after just a few years. They are available on eBay for about $200 each and only weigh 14.3lbs. They seem very popular with in the solar bank crowds. Will Prowse did a nice test on YouTube with them. I like that I could add a third if needed to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L43bArxyszU

http://mesa-tec.com/valence-u-charge-u1-12rt/

This setup would be for a family of four, I assume we couldn’t run the microwave, we would do propane for the fridge and shower every other day.

My Questions:

I’m leaning towards the Valance, I know Battle Borns are great but I like the idea of saving $600. Is 80AH enough for our needs?

Is 200 watts solar going to be enough? We are going in August and I assume the furnace won’t be running.

Do I need to do anything to the camper electrical? It’s as built now.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the campground allow any generators? While solar certainly can do the job, there is a learning process and a vacation isn’t the time to find out you don’t have enough. A generator will guarantee you can recharge and will also allow for watching TV and using the microwave. A small inverter generator will not be objectionable loud.

40s overnight are the norm, and 30s aren’t out of the question even in August.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From experience, my 2-6v Costco's go dead after about a bit more than 2 days. They are about 40 Amp hr (RC of 105). That's after running the jack/slides to set up, lights only when/where we need them, Hot water on gas, about 2 hrs of TV at night (I have a small inverter to power the TV), and a cpap at night (again, using the inverter). Forget about running anything that needs to be plugged in - unless you use an inverter. No use of fans, or water pump, or anything else. Since the Valance are essentially twice the capacity, maybe 4-5 days (no cpap, but those kids...). Others will have to comment on how much recharge the solar will actually provide, probably not near enough to fully recharge...but maybe enough to add another day over the period.
    Read up, a lot, on the care and feeding of lithiums. They aren't as easy-peasy drop in as some make them sound. Dig deep into whether your converter can actually be used to charge them, you likely will have to replace it with one that can....
    Not saying it is not a solution, just that they are different that good old lead-acids...and they have their quirks for care and feeding. Buying used, no support, with lack of deeper knowledge, may be setting yourself up for problems.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    From experience, my 2-6v Costco's go dead after about a bit more than 2 days. They are about 40 Amp hr (RC of 105). That's after running the jack/slides to set up, lights only when/where we need them, Hot water on gas, about 2 hrs of TV at night (I have a small inverter to power the TV), and a cpap at night (again, using the inverter). Forget about running anything that needs to be plugged in - unless you use an inverter. No use of fans, or water pump, or anything else. Since the Valance are essentially twice the capacity, maybe 4-5 days (no cpap, but those kids...). Others will have to comment on how much recharge the solar will actually provide, probably not near enough to fully recharge...but maybe enough to add another day over the period.
    Read up, a lot, on the care and feeding of lithiums. They aren't as easy-peasy drop in as some make them sound. Dig deep into whether your converter can actually be used to charge them, you likely will have to replace it with one that can....
    Not saying it is not a solution, just that they are different that good old lead-acids...and they have their quirks for care and feeding. Buying used, no support, with lack of deeper knowledge, may be setting yourself up for problems.
    The cpap will run a single battery down itself in one night.
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys, especially on the temps there in RMNP. I think I’m leaning towards the single Battle Born or three of these Valence Batteries, which would be ~120AH.

I found some good reviews of the Renogy 200 watt suitcases and at full sun they put out about 12AH, that gives me hope that I’ll have enough power to get batteries back to 100% most days.

The only downside I’m seeing is the suitcase uses a pwm controller and I’ve read mppt’s are preferred.

Thoughts?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    We’ve got some big trips setup for this year, one is to Rocky Mountain National Park for seven days. Our year old 2500RL currently has a Group 24 Deka that seems like more of an anchor than a battery.

I don’t have a ton of knowledge as this is my first camper and first solar. I used to sell batteries so I have some knowledge there.

The campground doesn’t have electric hookups and I’m considering either two 6V GC2’s from Costco, two used Valance U1’s(12v40ah) or begrudgingly one battle$ born$.

I’m considering a 200 watt solar renology suitcase for charging duty.

Im a little sensitive to adding more tongue weight, our suburban has a 1000lb hitch rating and I feel we are very close. I think two GC2’s(120lbs+)would put us over that. I have a tongue scale arriving next week.

Does anyone here have experience with these Valance batteries? They are used in medical carts and have to be replaced after just a few years. They are available on eBay for about $200 each and only weigh 14.3lbs. They seem very popular with in the solar bank crowds. Will Prowse did a nice test on YouTube with them. I like that I could add a third if needed to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L43bArxyszU

http://mesa-tec.com/valence-u-charge-u1-12rt/

This setup would be for a family of four, I assume we couldn’t run the microwave, we would do propane for the fridge and shower every other day.

My Questions:

I’m leaning towards the Valance, I know Battle Borns are great but I like the idea of saving $600. Is 80AH enough for our needs?

Is 200 watts solar going to be enough? We are going in August and I assume the furnace won’t be running.

Do I need to do anything to the camper electrical? It’s as built now.

I think the days of the $200 Valance barrettes have passed, closer to $300 now. I think one Battleborn will serve you better, I have three and couldn't be happier. To take full advantage of Lithium, you will need a charger capable of charging at a higher rate. Remember this is a 10 year battery so the cost is lower over the long term and 30# on your tongue is nice.

Do not worry about the PWM solar charger, you don't get a real benefit from MPPT until you are running a larger array with higher voltage; if you have enough sun, you will be fine. Note however, I have almost 1200 watts and I still bring a generator for the times that I am in the forrest or winter when it is too cloudy or the sun is too low.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your setup will be bare bones but it will be fine if you understand the limitations.

(1) Battleborn @ 100aH, the Renogy suitcase solar charger, and a small generator will get you through and let you have a decent experience. There are times when a hot shower is worth a cupful of gasoline and your system does not allow for several cloudy days in a row or trees in the way.

While having a converter with lithium charging capabilities would be advantageous, on a sunny day you can use your PWM controller to top off the batteries. Set the controller to AGM if it doesn't have a lithium setting.

As for using the used medical batteries, they probably do not have the built in battery management systems that BB, Lion, Renogy and some of the other manufacturers do. I would be concerned that they do not have low temp charging shutoffs and that is a big issue for outside batteries.
    Last edited by JColeman; 01-21-2020 at 09:37 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Used Medical LiFePo4 Batteries?

Keep in mind if you go lead acid that 120ah is really only 60ah useable, plus you will need to buy a battery monitor to keep an eye on the voltage since our rigs have a useless battery indicator marked off in thirds.

You’re probably already aware of the fact that lithium charges about 5x faster than lead acid, so consider also the fact that regardless of how many watts of solar you have, you only have so many hours in a day where the panels are generating electricity, so that charging speed really comes into play!

Also keep in mind that 200 watt solar suitcase is only going to put out about 10 amps in full sun so it'll be just barely more than a trickle charger and isn't going to be able to bring a lead acid up from a low state of charge to full in just one day, especially if you're using the battery at the same time. You should seriously consider more solar, at least double that if you'll be dry camping more than a day at a time. If you're planning on having to run a generator then there's no real point in having the solar. The reason we have solar is so that we never have to run the generator at all.

I have 400ah of lithium myself and would never go back to lead acid, BUT, if I was just now putting my system together I would have gone with Lion Energy batteries instead of my 4 Battle Borns. Check them out, they use prismatic cells as opposed to cylindrical, which is still lithium iron phosphate (LiFeP04) but this type of chemistry allows their batteries to be about 30% lighter and smaller than the typical Lithium of the same output.
    Will Prowse did a recent video on their 105ah batteries and they were perfect. THIS is a link to that video.
    They have lifetime warranties and weigh even less than the BB.
    Since they’re substantially smaller you can fit more of them in the same space.
    I could fit 5 in the space my 4 batteries take up.

They're currently $899 each Lion Energy 105ah Batteries
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-21-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at the Renogy Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery 12 Volt 170 Amp Hour. Price: $1,225.18

200 watts of solar and a Honda 2000 for backup would be a good idea too. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I'm looking at the Renogy Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery 12 Volt 170 Amp Hour. Price:$1,225.18

200 watts of solar and a Honda 2000 for backup would be a good idea too. KEN
    Ken keep in mind that battery’s BMS has no low temp cutoff and the warranty is only 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast