User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thermostat in the 2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Good Morning:
    Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and enjoying the beginning of 2020. Beautiful morning here in southern California, sunny, clear and crisp. The crisp part got me thinking of the thermostat we will have on our soon to be 2020 315 trailer. While we enjoy the sun and warmth in California, we are getting mighty cold back home in central British Columbia, where a trailer will ultimately be year round.

For those chilly spring and fall days, if anyone has experienced them, wondering about the quality of the thermostat in the 2020 model and whether it is something we should replace before we have the unit delivered this spring?

When we did our one and only walk through the trailer, did not focus on the thermostat at that time, however think it must be a digital type and perhaps has a type of set back capability. Sure nice having the furnace kick in early morning to warm up the unit before getting our of bed, just like home. However, perhaps that is not how it is going to work. However, perhaps we could install a new set back thermostat model and replace the current model before delivery.

As well, not sure how loud the furnace is whether in the living area or bedroom. Thinking it will be quite loud and may be happy there is some separation from the furnace location and the bedroom...not sure.

Anyway, if anyone has some experience with the thermostat and furnace noise in the 2020 model, appreciate your feedback. Thanks, enjoy the weekend.
    --JP

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every trailer I've owned the furnace was loud. I don't think it's possible to have a really quiet one unless you by a $300K motorhome or the likes. I'm guessing you're not hooked up to elec or you would be using an elec heater all night. The furnace wastes battery power fast and eats up propane.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thermostat won't have a set back capability. Replacing the thermostat with another one seems to be a problem since other thermostats don't play well with the control board in the A/C unit. It may be possible to install a seperate thermostat just for the furnace.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    The thermostat won't have a set back capability. Replacing the thermostat with another one seems to be a problem since other thermostats don't play well with the control board in the A/C unit. It may be possible to install a seperate thermostat just for the furnace.
    Interesting, would think at this point, manufacturers' would be simplifying the thermostat system to have it work as it can residentially, and not have us get up in the cold to turn the system on, or have to add electric/other type heaters to the unit. But, guess if it was more like home, then it wouldn't be camping or glamping.

Anyway, will have to explore some possibilities if there turns out to be a problem. Some electricians have great imaginations, that actually work. Thanks again.
    --JP

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BiggieJ: Be thankful you have a 2020 because GD moved the location of the thermostat to a better location on the newer models. The thermostat on our 2018 is located on the wall in the hutch; therefore, the thermostat does not get a accurate temperature reading that it is in the TT. I'm looking at relocating the thermostat to where yours is mounted.
    2018 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2014 F250 Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4
    50 gallon Titan fuel tank
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDWHSKY View Post
    BiggieJ: Be thankful you have a 2020 because GD moved the location of the thermostat to a better location on the newer models. The thermostat on our 2018 is located on the wall in the hutch; therefore, the thermostat does not get a accurate temperature reading that it is in the TT. I'm looking at relocating the thermostat to where yours is mounted.
    JDWHSKY, I shared your pain with the thermostat on the hutch wall. Take a look at the to topic "Hot Hutch" on the forums. I have 2017 with the thermostat on the hutch wall. What I did was pull the drawers and force insulation up the between hitch wall and the bathroom wall. It took care of the problem. My unit also has the solid wood panel on the lower part of the hutch below the drawers. The newer ones have wood grills. I wanted to try to keep the furnace as quiet as possible so I installed a thermostatically controlled computer exhaust fan to remove the heat from the hutch that the furnace produces instead of replacing the solid panels with grills. It all works pretty well without having to fish wires to move the thermostat. looking at where they now install the thermostat, I'm not sure the hutch heat would not effect the temperature anyway. Perhaps someone out there has made the change and I'm wrong.
    Bruce & Sue plus 1ea fluffy Chow Chow (Maggie)
    1999 Ford F350 CC Lariat 7.3L diesel Power Stroke
    2017 315 RLTS Purchased Sept 2018
    Reese Straight Line Trunion Weight Distribution
    2000 Mariah Z308 at Bull Frog Marina, Lake Powell

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Bruce: Thank you for your post. Before I started this project, I searched the forum and found out lots about Hot Hutch. Like you, I added insulation. I also added insulation foil below the drawers to keep the drawers cooler plus better response to the thermostat. I have the wood grills but the noise is not that bad, I guess it's something you just get use to it. We are at home staying safe this summer and getting lots of projects completed. I'll let you know how feasible the "fishing lines" go to move the thermostat. Note: I replaced the overhead pancake light in the hutch and added a dimmer to it - makes a better night light while watching TV. If you are ever down this way in Hurricane, stop by. Don
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don, Thanks for the info. I am interested in the light that you installed that has the dimmer. Where did you get it? On the hutch wall I also installed a triple function panel that has two USB ports, a 12v cigarette port and a digital LED 12v display (I don't like or trust the red dots on the switch panel). That LED display is a pretty good night light and I like seeing the voltage at a glance when boondocking. It was real useful when I had lead acid batteries but I recently switched to LiFePO4 batteries so the voltage level stays very high and constant until they are all used up.
    And Thanks for the invitation. When we are down that way, I'll stop in to say hello and see what you have done to your trailer. Even when not on the road, they are fun to play with. Bruce
    Bruce & Sue plus 1ea fluffy Chow Chow (Maggie)
    1999 Ford F350 CC Lariat 7.3L diesel Power Stroke
    2017 315 RLTS Purchased Sept 2018
    Reese Straight Line Trunion Weight Distribution
    2000 Mariah Z308 at Bull Frog Marina, Lake Powell

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dimmer fot TT - ATC.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	28577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dimmer fot TT - PDX.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	28578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dimmer layout.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	28579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hutch with dimmer.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	28580

Attached is the data on the switch I installed plus wiring diagram since the light is a 3-wire to a light 2-wire.

Let me know if you have any questions …. Don
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang