User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Differences in Therford vs Dometic toilet

My Thetford Aqua-Magi Style II toilet flush ball isn't sealing, it appears to be crooked. I want to replace this toilet with a Domestic 320. The RV is 6 months old so this should all be under warranty.

I have tried to look at the dimensions of both and the Domestic seems to be around the same size.

Has anyone done this? Any comments or thoughts?

Laura

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, I have a 2020 GD Reflection 367BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We replaced one of ours. The 320 needs a little more room from the flange bolts to the rear, so measure carefully. It worked in the master bath on our 385TH, but not in the aft bathroom. We have had the seal on our 320 leak, but it is easily replaceable without removing the toilet. It's taller than the Thetford, so if you have a cabinet that opens over the toilet, make sure you check clearance.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had the same seal leak and took the toilet apart to replace it. Eventually it leaked again, that time I swapped to a dometic 320, easy swap and the seal is easily removed for cleaning or replacement. I think I read you needed 11" from the toilet drain to the back wall. Mine was installed in a corner and it worked out without any issues. I would look up the installation manual and it should give you the required space needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Attachment 24233Attachment 24234
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 01-11-2020 at 12:26 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    We replaced one of ours. The 320 needs a little more room from the flange bolts to the rear, so measure carefully. It worked in the master bath on our 385TH, but not in the aft bathroom. We have had the seal on our 320 leak, but it is easily replaceable without removing the toilet. It's taller than the Thetford, so if you have a cabinet that opens over the toilet, make sure you check clearance.
    Thanks for your response! I have the measurement of the Thetford, since that's what is in the RV, but can't find that measurement for the Domestic. It only gives me width height and depth....I'll try to search more for better dimensions...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you !!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would you explain how I need to measure for the distance from the flange bolts to the wall? No cabinet above the toilet, current toilet sits on a wall by itself. We only have one bathroom, so I assume it's the 'master' bath so should be larger? This is a 41' 5th wheel..

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dometic is longer front-to-back than the Thetford. Some of that distance is on the back side, between the toilet and the wall. We had a little over 10" from the flange bolts to the wall, and the Dometic touches the back wall but fits.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 01-15-2020 at 01:13 PM.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fearless View Post
    would you explain how I need to measure for the distance from the flange bolts to the wall? No cabinet above the toilet, current toilet sits on a wall by itself. We only have one bathroom, so I assume it's the 'master' bath so should be larger? This is a 41' 5th wheel..
    I'm pretty sure that @FT4NOW is correct, that the Dometic specifies a requirement of 11" in the dimension from center of the flange (where the bolts holding the toilet down are located) to the wall behind the toilet.

I first replaced the Thetford with a Dometic 320 in a Reflection, and then later replaced the Thetford in a Solitude with the same 320. It's not rock-solid advice, I know, but I'd bet that the 320 will fit in the main bathroom of most all GD 5th wheels since the Thetford has a nominal requirement of 10" from the wall and GD does not typically mount them tight to the wall. In our Solitude, the 320 is pretty close to the wall, an eighth of an inch or so away from it, but that isn't an issue.

I've read one post here about an owner who unscrewed the sewer pipe flange from the floor, pulled it out a bit, and then screwed it into the new position. That would likely be an easy solution if you're the rare case where the 320 won't easily fit in your bathroom, but his is the *only* post I've seen about that. It seems that for nearly all of the people here who have posted about installing the Dometic 320, it's just plug and play.

And well worth the trouble.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just Google "dometic 320 installation manual" and it will pop right up. The dimensions and layout lines are all listed in the first few pages from memory.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast