User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We e been down to the Smokies a few times definitely prefer closer in if not in the park.
    Columbus zoo is great and we have stayed at Cross Creek CG , near Alum Creek both to go to the zoo and as a transient stop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been a while since our Smokies trip, probably 15 years. We stayed in Townsend TN. The campground is now a KOA, back then it was not. We thought the location was great. Close to an entrance to the park and less than a half hour from Pidgeon Forge. Our specific site was on the Little River. If you look at a facility map we were in site 79 or 80. Was an awesome few days.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoelscher View Post
    It has been a while since our Smokies trip, probably 15 years. We stayed in Townsend TN. The campground is now a KOA, back then it was not. We thought the location was great. Close to an entrance to the park and less than a half hour from Pidgeon Forge. Our specific site was on the Little River. If you look at a facility map we were in site 79 or 80. Was an awesome few days.
    Stayed at Townsend KOA last spring , nice, on the river, convenient to everything

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little arrow just outside of GSMNP is an outstanding little resort.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

Well things have changed it looks like we are heading out towards Ohio first as we have an function that we are slated to be at in the DC area on the back side of the trip. So we were thinking about getting the trip side down to the zoo and the caves first then to GSNP second with a travel day and overnight coming back up 81 and then over towards the DC area. Luckily the event we are going to has a campground about 10 minutes away. I was think an overnight there and then back towards home and a stop somewhere in between. Who knows. We have not even made any reservations. I am starting to feel like winging it and hope things work out. Also I found a KOA in Ohio between the The Wilds and the Columbus zoo that puts us in the middle of both places. So we will be checking that out.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out The Ridge Outdoor Resort it is in the backdoor of Dollywood and is a great place. Good luck trying to get in Anchor Down, it seems to stay booked every time I have tried to get in. The Pigeon Forge area has another great campground called River Plantation, this is our pick when we go that direction. I am about 1 1/2hr from the Smokies and that's a good weekend trips for us. If ya need anything or info from this direction pm me and I will help ya the best I can. It's a beautiful place to visit and a lot to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    Hello!

The wife and I are finalizing our first big trip of the year. We are planning a trip to the Great Smokey's and Mammoth Cave NP area this time. We figured it is a good range plus should be a good time of year to see these parks.

Time Frame- Mid April 2020.
    Trip Duration Approximately 9 days.
    Rig- Reflection 285BHTS 36'
    Hook ups- At least Electric and water. Most place seem to offer Full though.

GSNP leg. I looked at the map. There looks like a ton of camping in the area around Gatlingsburg and the like. I also saw Anchor's Down resort on the west side outskirts of the area making it around hour or so ride into the main area. Any recommendations around the Gatlinsburg area? We are all ears about where to stay. Any recommendations for places to see or what to do in the area besides the park. I know G-burg has a ton going on as well as Dollywood in Pigeon Forge. We plan on visiting both places. We did go to G-burg years ago in 2001 for the aquarium. So I really do not remember much from there. 20 years lots changes.

MCNP. I looked up the local camping scene besides what is available inside the park itself. It appears to be some stuff but not much in the way of camping. Any recommendations there? Anything besides the park that should checked out while in that area.

As for the route, we have not decided which direction to go yet. For us to go to the Caves first, it appears it's across PA, down through OH and into KY. For GSNP, PA 78 to 81 and 40. It's a bit more straight forward for the lack of a better term. My wife and I are looking at it both ways of which one would be the better direction to take. The other issue is the travel between. A first draft of the route on google is taking us west I40 then more or less state highways to the caves. Many of those roads appear to be 2 lane and not 4 lane. I was thinking if it would be worth heading towards Nashville and up 65 instead to keep on the interstates. Any thoughts to this? I am sure someone must have gone a similar path before.

Thank you for the information and I will ask if I have more questions.
    We stayed at: River Plantation RV Park 1004 Parkway, Sevierville, TN 37862...close to Gatlinburg and SMNP.

We stayed at: Cave Country RV Campground 216 Gaunce Dr, Cave City, KY 42127...Close to MCNP

Both were very nice parks.

Jim
    Jim & Deb
    Michigan
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD Duramax, 4wd, Crew Cab, 6'6" box, SRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on trip planning....

My wife and I started the reservations. We made the reservations for the first night and the last nights of our trip. Since our first night would be taking place right after work, I figured we would drive for several hours before pulling over for the night. I know this might irk some but we are going to stay at a KOA LoL. Side story growing up I think I stayed at a KoA once. Ironically since i owned my previous trailer and current trailer, we have stayed at a few over the last couple of years. They tended to be convenient for our trips plus they were near the interstate or roads were traveling on for our final destinations. However, we have stayed in a state or recreational parks, truck stops, South of the Border, etc. SIDE SIDE note. We stayed at the Flying J in VA Exit 104 I95 I think about 5 years ago with our old trailer. For some reason, our trailer door stopped locking and we found out our on board battery failed. It made for a cold night. I wound up waking up at around 5 AM to the sound of some hot shot driver running his truck overnight for heat. By the time we got home, it was 7 however, thankfully we had extra blankets for that trip even though we were in Florida. The following week I found out our inverter failed during a fall camping trip and purchased a 10 AMP battery charger to keep warm that weekend. However, the last couple of drives down south, we have stopped at that truck stop either going or coming back. We remembered our experience. As my wife said never again. I ended with our old trailer, yes. With the Reflection, I would have no issue with that.

So we have the first night booked. We are going to be heading the Columbus Zoo as part of our trip. We are looking at Cross Creek RV resort and the Alum Creek State park campground for at least 2 more nights before moving on to the Mammoth Caves area. I like the number of suggestions to check out for the next parts of the trip. The GSNP area has a ton of suggestions. Between the wife and I we will find something for that section of the trip. Our biggest thing is getting most of the planning done so we have a good idea where and how to get there for this trip. As for the last nights, we are booked in NoVA near an event we are planning on attending. We found a place about 5 minutes from where the event is going to be held providing they keep my daughter's age bracket in the mix. If they only play on a single day which is common, the parking lot is going to be large enough to handle the trailer. I have a feeling I should load up the fresh water tank as I will probably set the trailer up as a base for the team if I can park it closer to the field. Thankfully, I can find dump stations on the way home.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Columbia Zoo is nice. We have stayed at Cross Creek on two different trips heading west. Last time in 2018. Nicely kept semi- resort campground. Was the sight of our trailer brake failure that year. Was able to find an independent shop a short and flat distance away to get us back on the road... credit Emily Stahley at GrandDesign for help in locating the service.

2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoping for the best but prepping for the worse. This trip may need to go on hold for awhile. Looks like this whole Covid 19 is going to be one heck of a ride at this time. It might be best to see how things go before going forth and start cancelling reservations and the like. That sucks....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12