User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am possibly a new wagon master with questions

Hello. i am new to the whole wagonmaster thing.
    i have spoken with numerous Grand Design REps and wagonmasters Emily, Patti with mindblowing results. There is alot to do to make an event happe.

can anyone suggest some sort of checklist for organizing what to do first and in order? I am sure there are a lot.

and also do you find smaller events ie:50 rigs and under more intimate and meaningful rather than a big one that would be more FUN?

Thanks. Jody

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Jodester View Post
    Hello. i am new to the whole wagonmaster thing.
    i have spoken with numerous Grand Design REps and wagonmasters Emily, Patti with mindblowing results. There is alot to do to make an event happe.

can anyone suggest some sort of checklist for organizing what to do first and in order? I am sure there are a lot.

and also do you find smaller events ie:50 rigs and under more intimate and meaningful rather than a big one that would be more FUN?

Thanks. Jody
    Well your kind of going in the right direction. You are looking at a campground that could handle 50 to 75 or more Grand Design rigs, and set a possible date people
    are comfortable with.
    Intimate and meaningful versus big and more fun , attendees will find their own comfort level. We all a common interests, camping , making friends, reconnecting with old friends and Grand Design family.
    Like in the Field of Dreams , If You Post It They Will Come !!
    Good luck.

John 《 JJ 》 Joscelyne
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't wagon mastered but have helped/volunteered at many rallies.
    As you're learning the amount of planning can be overwhelming. Get a group of volunteers to help and don't hesitate to put them to work , delegate duties and it'll make the rally just a little less stressfull
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes i agree.
    We volunteered at our first one and actually have been getting mentioned on post on facebook that we never even met. so we got hooked

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Jodester View Post
    do you find smaller events ie:50 rigs and under more intimate and meaningful rather than a big one that would be more FUN?

Thanks. Jody
    Dang, I guess I always assumed 50 rigs was a large event. If that's "smaller and more intimate", then the big ones would be way overwhelming.

Sounds like a lot of work. I would certainly line up volunteers.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Dang, I guess I always assumed 50 rigs was a large event. If that's "smaller and more intimate", then the big ones would be way overwhelming.

Mike
    Hi Mike. Yes 50 rig is a good size. I've been to the National rally, that is 400 to 500 rigs. Also Mid Atlantic rally was at 202 rigs the last 2 years . This year bumping up to about 330 to 350 rigs this October.
    Thank you for offering to volunteer. All the wagonmasters relies on their volunteers.
    John Joscelyne
    Last edited by Joscelyne3; 01-12-2020 at 07:02 PM.
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post

Mike
    There are several "large" rallies around the country. The national rally in Goshen, Indiana and the Quartzsite rally in Quartzsite, Ariz. are two that I've been to that are both well over a couple hundred rigs.

While I've not been a wagon master for a GD Rally I have organized many motorcycle rallies over the past twenty years. I can tell you that it's a full time job and you will not be able to do it all yourself. Enlist a crew of volunteers and empower them to take on a given task. Have meetings (even if it's on the net or conference calls) so that all the cogs of the wheel know what's going on and how they interlace. Solicit their ideas....we can do togehter what one person can't do alone. Know that you're focus is the majority, that you'll never please 100% of the people. It seems like some people are just born to whine. Thankfully, those people usually weed theirselves out.

Once you do a rally you'll have ideas for the next one and you can start developing the personality of that rally for the next one. You'll do fine and it will all turn out well. Have fun!
    Last edited by JCZhome; 01-13-2020 at 07:10 AM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jody,
    I think it’s great that you want to organize a rally and you are definitely smart to start small. As a former Volunteer Coordinator for a Non-profit, I took on the neglected post from someone who didn’t realize that the quickest way to lose volunteers’ interest is to allow them to feel confused and under-appreciated. So, I’d suggest you go ahead and get that organizational to-do list from someone who’s been successful, and delegate, delegate, delegate responsibilities.

Clearly state your expected outcomes for the tasks to the delegates and agree on a deadline, frequently state your appreciation for their taking on the tasks, refer new volunteers to them to assist them (terrible to realize you’ve agreed to a bigger task than you expected and it’s down to only you), and develop some simple means of recognition and thanks for both your main volunteers as well as the late-comers.

One last nit-pick. We went to one small rally. Everything was fun and we enjoyed it, but it was a bit annoying that whenever we needed to gather at a pavilion hauling a heavy meal, a tote of cleaning supplies and water, a volunteered extra table, a load of stuff we needed to transport, the vendors and GD folks had already arrived parking their big trucks (permanently) in the big fat way so as to prevent drop off of heavy items. Maybe you can find a big, friendly guy whose job is to stand around, smile, and say, “Please keep it moving, folks, lots of people waiting to drop off!”
    Best of luck with your endeavors,
    Nancy
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi to all. Unfortunately. This year has brought nothing but garbage. Lol. We decided early on that we would pull out of the planning of this rally and postpone possibly. We are currently working with a wagonmaster for the mid Atlantic rally to get more knowledge. We hope to plan for 2022 for a possible revisit to this rally.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closed at the request of the OP.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods