User Tag List

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator autostart/Shore Power monitor install on 351M

Installed my Shore Power monitor from RV Automations today. Here's what I'm talking about:

https://rvautomations.com/product/shorepower-monitor/

So, this is a "silly simple" device. Basically, it looks at the "shore" power side of the transfer switch and, if it doesn't see power there, it starts the generator. Once it sees power there again, it stops the generator. About the least interesting thing you could install, but, for me (and I'm sure others, why I'm writing this post), critical. I camp with my animals, and, if the power goes out, bad things can happen fast, I want that generator started and running to keep my furry friends safe.

Now, yes, as was pointed out to me in another thread, my 351M already HAS generator autostart in the system. Why put another autostart on it?? Well, simply put, the one that comes with the rig is too sophisticated for my taste. It's looking at battery voltage and HVAC needs to make a determination "start or not". I don't want something that's got and dozen "if then else" statements in there. I wanted dead simple. Also, the autostart on the rig from the factory is hard to test because you need to have a "need" for power to see if it works. The Shorepower monitor is DEAD simple to test, in fact, I will test it every single time I come into a campsite. Flip the enable switch, if there's not shore power, the genny will start in a minute or two. Then, hook up shore power, the genny will stop. Good way to get some exercise for the genny and to test the monitor at the same time, flip the switch while your getting setup in the campsite, when you get your shore power hooked up, the genny will stop and you'll be on "auto" for restarting the genny if power is lost. Nice, simple, easy.

Also, did some testing, this doesn't "break" the Lippert autostart. If you want, you can leave the Shorepower monitor disabled (toggle switch, I put mine down in the cargo pass thru) and let the integrated system handle gen start/stop. So you have options.

I'm really pleased with it, install took about 2 hours for me, but mostly because I'd never ventured in that area before of the rig and had no idea what to expect. Lots and lots of wires. Oh, also, you don't need to pull wires direct from the genny, the wires you need are all right behind the false wall in the cargo pass thru (they run into the master control unit), so you can pick them all up from there. Also, the transfer switch is right there too, so if not for the contortions required to get in that area, it's as dead simple an install as you could hope for.

One thing I wasn't expecting to see down there.. Something that looked a lot like an inverter?! Has some big 12V wires coming in, a fan running and labeled "40A". It was not the transfer switch, but was right next to it. Perhaps it's the battery charger, but, whatever it was, I wasn't expecting it to be there (or so big, if it's just for charging the batteries). I was racing the light and didn't have time to take pictures of it, but it did get me wondering, is that an inverter (and if so, what is it doing)?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it worked out. The price seems very reasonable, especially with what doesnt appear to be a "difficult install".

The component you are referring to is your converter, it converts 120V to 12V, the fuses on there are reverse polarity fuses in the event it was hooked up incorrectly. It also is what charges the battery.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense, it looks like an inverter because, well, it's the opposite of an inverter! I just saw the big mama wires coming out/in to it and thought "WTH". But if it's a high amp charger, well, it needs big wires to the battery, so.. Yeah, makes sense. Guess that thing could charge the battery pretty fast on shore power, huh?

Nope, install was really not bad at all.

I honestly don't know why it's not in the factory system. I get it, it's nice to have a genny that only starts when certain conditions are met. But, why not put in the "simple" option too? Just start if there's no power in the rig. Duh, right? IDK, I just look at that system and think "Do people really care if they burn more gas"? My genny burns about 1/2 a gallon or so an hour. So what if it runs and it's not 100% necessary? The alternative is just awful, it doesn't run and an animal dies. I think that system is really designed for when you have solar and a big inverter, only start the genny when battery voltage gets too low. Just seems so easy.

Hope it's holds up well and is reliable, but, if it is, it's money well spent.