User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battery DRAINED

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccardamo View Post
    I just picked up my new 2019 399TH last week and am leaving on a trip for a couple of weeks. The morning after getting it home the battery was drained and would not power up anything. I did not do the power disconnect, but everything was shut off. I took the Interstate deep cycle battery to a dealer to be checked out. It needed to be charges, so in the mean time I bought another battery (which I can use to double my battery life or as a "spare"). I installed it and everything worked. I picked up my battery from the dealer and it was charged 100% and in great shape (it is new). Again, overnight the new battery drained. While I am on this upcoming trip I will be in a park and hooked up to shore power, but then boondocking for several days after. I am taking back to dealer in February to get some doors installed, but I need to manage this issue for the next couple of weeks. Of course I do not want to drive 8 hours to find out I cannot setup.

Are there any known issues that I should look at? Sucks to pay $100k for a rig and need to troubleshoot and fix the day after purchase.
    It sounds like you have more have more then a parasitic drain. To drain the batteries that much is a serious draw.

I don't think you should go boondocking with that big of a problem. Something 12 volt is maybe shorted to ground that is not fused.

Call Grand Design and request a mobile tech to come fix your rig. Be nice but firm. Tell them as much as possible. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don’t turn off the main switch just the smoke detector in the stupid little camera in the back kills my battery I have 2 -6 V

This time my three-year-old batteries were dead when I turn the main switch on just cause It sat for three months

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccardamo View Post
    I just picked up my new 2019 399TH last week and am leaving on a trip for a couple of weeks. The morning after getting it home the battery was drained and would not power up anything. I did not do the power disconnect, but everything was shut off. I took the Interstate deep cycle battery to a dealer to be checked out. It needed to be charges, so in the mean time I bought another battery (which I can use to double my battery life or as a "spare"). I installed it and everything worked. I picked up my battery from the dealer and it was charged 100% and in great shape (it is new). Again, overnight the new battery drained. While I am on this upcoming trip I will be in a park and hooked up to shore power, but then boondocking for several days after. I am taking back to dealer in February to get some doors installed, but I need to manage this issue for the next couple of weeks. Of course I do not want to drive 8 hours to find out I cannot setup.

Are there any known issues that I should look at? Sucks to pay $100k for a rig and need to troubleshoot and fix the day after purchase.
    While at the GD rally last year I was parked next to a Solitude that was having about the same issue as you. The techs at the rally performed some extensive troubleshooting and found that his converter was causing the voltage drain. They replaced the converter and the owner had no more issues with the battery.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had similar issues. My 2017 300gk was parked for about three months and killed my brand new battery flat.

Upon further investigation, I found the parasitic loads upstream of the battery switch and I mumbled a few choice words.... To me it was a simple fix. Install another cut off switch or move the parasitic loads downstream of the battery switch. I'm glad I didn't do that yet because I haven't thought it all the way through.

There are some things you want on all the time. Break away for the brakes... Absolutely! Landing gear jacks? Probably. But what if the hydraulics for the landing gear also ran the main slides? Now there is more to think about.

Until I think it through a little more, my fix is to disconnect the battery at the post and put a maintenance charger on it for long term storage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123