Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery DRAINED

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Battery DRAINED

I just picked up my new 2019 399TH last week and am leaving on a trip for a couple of weeks. The morning after getting it home the battery was drained and would not power up anything. I did not do the power disconnect, but everything was shut off. I took the Interstate deep cycle battery to a dealer to be checked out. It needed to be charges, so in the mean time I bought another battery (which I can use to double my battery life or as a "spare"). I installed it and everything worked. I picked up my battery from the dealer and it was charged 100% and in great shape (it is new). Again, overnight the new battery drained. While I am on this upcoming trip I will be in a park and hooked up to shore power, but then boondocking for several days after. I am taking back to dealer in February to get some doors installed, but I need to manage this issue for the next couple of weeks. Of course I do not want to drive 8 hours to find out I cannot setup.

Are there any known issues that I should look at? Sucks to pay $100k for a rig and need to troubleshoot and fix the day after purchase.
    1999 F-350 Dually
    1999 Momentum 399TH
    1999 CanAm X3XRC Turbo R
    Arizona (this year)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccardamo View Post
    I just picked up my new 2019 399TH last week and am leaving on a trip for a couple of weeks. The morning after getting it home the battery was drained and would not power up anything. I did not do the power disconnect, but everything was shut off. I took the Interstate deep cycle battery to a dealer to be checked out. It needed to be charges, so in the mean time I bought another battery (which I can use to double my battery life or as a "spare"). I installed it and everything worked. I picked up my battery from the dealer and it was charged 100% and in great shape (it is new). Again, overnight the new battery drained. While I am on this upcoming trip I will be in a park and hooked up to shore power, but then boondocking for several days after. I am taking back to dealer in February to get some doors installed, but I need to manage this issue for the next couple of weeks. Of course I do not want to drive 8 hours to find out I cannot setup.

Are there any known issues that I should look at? Sucks to pay $100k for a rig and need to troubleshoot and fix the day after purchase.
    There is a drain on the battery some where. Is the breakaway switch connected, with the cable intact? Light on?
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tank heaters on? Recliners powered up? Lights on in pass through or other places? Just throwing out places to look.
    Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the battery disconnect off the second time? That would help narrow the search.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will go out later today to look at that.
    1999 F-350 Dually
    1999 Momentum 399TH
    1999 CanAm X3XRC Turbo R
    Arizona (this year)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ccardamo WOW, you have old stuff! 1999 truck, trailer, and Can-am? Just funnin' with ya. I suspect if you just picked up the trailer, the dealer probably had the battery installed and hooked up while they were prepping the trailer for delivery, but did not have it connected to shore power. There are parasitic loads on the battery even if the battery disconnect is disabled (turned off). They include the CO alarm, smoke detectors an the like. Best thing to do is make sure both batteries are charging when hooked to shore power by checking with a volt meter. You should have +/- 14 volts at the battery when plugged in. When boondocking without a means to charge the batteries, solar or generator, your batteries will only lase a couple of days tops. This is because the refrigerator and other loads will be draining the batteries. The fridge uses 12 volts for the control circuit. This will be true especially if you're using lights, furnace (huge battery killer) and other loads.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not turn off the power disconnect, but systems were shut down, nothing I am aware of was turned on. I think about boondocking after having a motorhome where I could operate many days on battery, having a battery drain overnight tells me something is wrong
    1999 F-350 Dually
    1999 Momentum 399TH
    1999 CanAm X3XRC Turbo R
    Arizona (this year)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with the battery disconnect off, you will still have battery drain. There are several systems that bypass the battery disconnect. You might consider installing a battery disconnect at the battery.
    Patrick & Marla with Boomer and Sooner

2007 Chev 2500 Allison Duramax
    2014 Solitude 368RD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disconnected it last night and this morning it was able to power up the management module (or whatever you call the video screen) and turned on the generator but watched the battery power on the generator screen drop into the 11 volts range. I cannot see doing the battery disconnect at night so that there is enough power in the morning to start the generator. A deep cycle marine battery should be able to keep power overnight when nothing is on
    1999 F-350 Dually
    1999 Momentum 399TH
    1999 CanAm X3XRC Turbo R
    Arizona (this year)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These campers are designed to run off batteries for at least the weekend using lights, the pump for shower and sinks, refrigerator. If your unit has an inverter, just having that turned on can sap a battery overnight, only run the inverter if you are using it, there should be a disconnect.

Someone on this forum, or many another that I monitor, found that if the battery disconnect was not all the way on or off, it would act funny. You kinda have to push in to turn, not hard, just a bit.

When it is dark outside, walk around and look for lights that are on, but most of these are LED, they don't draw enough to drain the battery overnight.

If you are using a trickle charger, it could take 2-3 days to fully charge a battery that was fully discharged. If you connect shore power, that should charge in 4-6 hours (driving 8 hours seems to charge mine).

I agree with others who have commented, maybe the RV dealer did not have it fully charged when it left the lot. Keep us informed, we all struggle with electrical stuff.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast