User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat tire in storage

I went to check on the camper this weekend. It is inside an unheated pole barn.
    Good news is no critters anywhere!
    Bad news is I have a flat tire. My question is: should I just let it sit until spring or should i try filling it or taking it to the shop for possible repair now? Is there any danger of damage by letting it sit flat for a few months? These are the OEM Westlakes.

If it does have a leak, is plugging and patching an acceptable repair or should I replace the tire? Only one season and a couple thousand miles on them. I am aware of the Westlake China Bomb reputation but My daughter is getting married this spring so we are a little budget conscious right now.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN-Mark View Post
    I went to check on the camper this weekend. It is inside an unheated pole barn.
    Good news is no critters anywhere!
    Bad news is I have a flat tire. My question is: should I just let it sit until spring or should i try filling it or taking it to the shop for possible repair now? Is there any danger of damage by letting it sit flat for a few months? These are the OEM Westlakes.

If it does have a leak, is plugging and patching an acceptable repair or should I replace the tire? Only one season and a couple thousand miles on them. I am aware of the Westlake China Bomb reputation but My daughter is getting married this spring so we are a little budget conscious right now.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Mark
    Chances are all it needs is airing up. If you have a portable compressor, I’d try that first. If not don’t let it sit on the flat tire, that’ll ruin it for sure. Remove it, block up the trailer and get the tire fixed or wait until you can afford to replace the Westlakes. The trailer will be fine sitting on blocks until the spring.
    Last edited by Bungy; 01-14-2020 at 09:28 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not repairable. Call Westlake and they will send you a new tire and pay to get it mounted under warranty.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replace the tire using the warranty. If you're past the warranty still replace the tire. It will cost less than potentially having problems while going down the road, that could really mess up the budget big time.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible that it is a rim leak. I would take it off and get it checked.That way if you do have a problem with the rim you will have plenty of time to get it replaced.There have been a couple of reports on the Forum of rim's being bad.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would much rather find a bad tire while in storage than driving highway 2 in Montana. My philosophy on tires is to replace them at the first sign of trouble, but then my daughters are married, so I understand the budget constraints. At least you know the tire has issues so you can keep an eye on it. This will also cause you to review your tire failure contingency plan while on the road.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deal with it as soon as you can. If it is completely flat there has to be a reason and simply adding air won’t likely resolve your issue. Could be a leaking valve stem, cracked rim or damaged tire. If the tire is compromised or questionable in any way I would definitely get it replaced. I believe Lionshead offers a five year warranty on the Westlakes. Like others I replaced my Westlakes with F rated tires after about 18 months of ownership. Never had trouble with the Westlakes just being cautious as we typically travel longer distances. I moved the Westlakes onto a 12K GVWR dump trailer we have in our construction business with still no issues for the three that remain in place. The fourth picked up a nail in the shoulder area of the tread so it could not be repaired.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.