Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moisture Concern

Hello all,

I am currently in an Imagine 2670mk which I purchased new this past July and have been very disappointed by the amount of problems I have had thus far. However, this by far the most concerning yet!

So, last night a smell around the base of my toilet concerned me as to a lack of a proper seal which I know can also cause water leakage. Although, there is and has not been any water around the base of the toilet I went ahead and used my moisture meter to check the floor at the base of toilet and the surrounding area. To my dismay the moisture meter detected high amounts of moisture throughout the entire floor of bathroom and about 2 feet of the flooring on the adjacent side of wall in the living room.

This morning I contacted both GD and the technician from the dealer and neither were any help whatsoever!

What I've done/noticed so far:

*I have taken off every panel/vent I could within the area to gain access and have found no dampness whatsoever.

*This morning I did notice a dripping from the underside of TT coming through the spray foam insulation where all the holding tank pipes meet up at the sewer outlet.

*I am currently connected to city water which I turned off and tested water pump which did cycle intermittently with no water running

Does anyone know what the problem would be and what I should do?

I am very concerned about water damage and the possibility of potential of mold growth. Mold is the reason I am currently living full time in TT which I thought would be a good temporary living solution (which I now regret) after a hidden leak forced me to leave my house and all my belongings a little over a year ago after I became increasingly and chronically ill caused by exposure to mold. So for me the possibility of re exposure would be absolutely detrimental and would destroy what small advancements I have made towards regaining my health!

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TT.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	24309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TT.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	24309

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, welcome.

Ruling out the possibility that the dampness and odor at the base of your toilet are the result of you or someone else in your trailer not aiming well...

Things that have happened to others which might be responsible for your issue are:

- The water supply to the toilet may be leaking. A water supply hose connects at the lower rear of the toilet and it's not uncommon for the connector there to be leaking. Strong fingers or very gentle use of pliers may tighten it enough to stop the leak. Very occasionally the connector itself is the problem and has to be replaced.

- The toilet is not sealing well to the drain pipe beneath it. Is it solidly attached to the floor or can it be jiggled? If the latter, it should be possible to tighten the two bolts holding it to the floor. If not, it's probably worth disconnecting the water supply (turn off water first) and undoing those bolts to lift the toilet and look for signs of leakage under it. I've replaced a toilet but can't remember if there's a sealing ring under there... I'm gonna guess that there is, and it may have been crushed or damaged during sloppy installation, or the flange on which the toilet rests may be damaged.

- The shower stall is leaking. I don't know Imagine trailers, but it's not at all uncommon for the lower track of the shower in GD fifth wheels to allow water out of the shower and onto the floor. Sometimes that happens beside a cabinet, so the water runs under the cabinet and doesn't get noticed until damage has occurred.

- There is a leak somewhere in the plumbing supply lines. Again I don't know Imagines, can't even guess where you should look.

The drip underneath from the waste water manifold may be related to the leakage above it, or may be leakage from its own connection. The latter seems more likely, but I'm shooting in the dark, sorry.

When you tried your water pump, did you reset the trailer's plumbing control panel to "Dry Camping" and did you "Powerfill" your water tank with some water? Again I don't know what your water panel is like or if the terms I've used apply, but switching from City Water to using the tank usually requires steps to fill the fresh tank and ensure that water is going to be drawn from it instead of the city water inlet. Whether you've done this properly or not, I'll guess that the exercise of switching away from city water isn't going to illuminate much.

Your trailer is under warranty. While it's unfortunately not too surprising that the dealer has failed you - that's a too-common problem with Grand Design dealers - it is surprising that Grand Design is whiffing you off. Holding back on frustration (I've had to do this a lot myself) may improve what they'll do for you. If you explain that your dealer is not supporting you and ask for approval to have a mobile professional look at the issue, they will walk you through the steps for doing that.

Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 01-15-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses,

So after initial post I opened up part of the underbelly to find about a gallon of sitting under the bathroom around where I initially saw the dripping.
    The technician from the dealership where purchased came out yesterday and checked all connections and said that everything was fine and that the water in the underbelly was due to condensation he also cut slit in under belly to let water out.

I due live in Texas and it has been very warm and damp the past several days but I find it very hard to believe that much water was due to condensation especially since I hadn’t showered for two days prior to this and would think there would be “condensation” under areas like kitchen sink where water is had been used much more frequently.

I am also still getting 100% moisture reading (on wall setting) or 35% (set on wood) wasn’t sure which to use both setting set of red alarm beeps.
    I am a complete novice when it comes to RV/ TT but my gut is telling me there is definitely something wrong! Given the evidence would you believe everything was fine and solely due to condensation? Also, what are thoughts on likeliness there is water in the floor?

I am willing to do whatever means necessary to remedy the situation I just don’t know where to begin. I am waiting to hear back from my plumber and from several rv mobile repair service I have called this morning. I also currently have my dehumidifier running in the bathroom and am limiting my water use.

Any other suggestions?
    I just can’t wait for there to be visible signs of water damage for something to be done by for then it will be too late!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does sound like a water leak in the bathroom from a water line or shower as boyscout has mentioned.

There are the water line connections in the wall to the shower that could be leaking.
    I'd want a tech to check them all.

Some photos from: Shower Faucet Assembly Loose https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...Assembly-Loose

Toilet Flange Cracked https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ewer-Pipe-Leak
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try taking off the shower control nob area and look behind there. You all have been so great and I really appreciate it. I also thought about pulling back a a square of linoleum in the area of the living room where I am getting high moisture readings just to see if there is water damage in the floor would that be a stupid thing to do?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is as far as I have gotten what else do I need to do to gain full access? I assume I need to make sure all water is drained and off first?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200117_005451.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	24345Click image for larger version. 

ID:	24345

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I have gotten the image posting thing down quite yet!

Also could I pull the toilet to see if any water damage at subfloor. The only thing is I do not have any replacement parts and would not want to make a bad problem worse, Any thoughts?
    Last edited by amcros; 01-17-2020 at 12:12 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amcros View Post
    Sorry I have gotten the image posting thing down quite yet!

Also could I pull the toilet to see if any water damage at subfloor. The only thing is I do not have any replacement parts and would not want to make a bad problem worse, Any thoughts?
    First, I still think GD should be pushed more to get involved to help you out with this problem.
    Since you're full time in it, I'd want a mobile RV tech out to help track down the problem since the dealer tech wasn't able to.

Looks like your shower controls/knobs are on the flat part of the shower wall.
    There's probably an access panel on the other side of the wall that is screwed in place that you can remove to get to the water line connections.
    The shower control valve has fittings behind the silver cover also to look at as a possible leak source.

The floor covering I think goes wall to wall, so a bit difficult to lift up a section to check the subfloor.

The toilet floor flange looks to have the floor covering fit right up under it.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amcros View Post
    Sorry I have gotten the image posting thing down quite yet! Also could I pull the toilet to see if any water damage at subfloor. The only thing is I do not have any replacement parts and would not want to make a bad problem worse, Any thoughts?
    In post #2 I listed some things you could investigate in solving your problem, listed in roughly-ascending order of difficulty. The second one was to pull the toilet. Have you read that post? You haven't mentioned checking some of the things recommended in it.

You should be able to carefully remove the toilet for examination and re-install it without needing spare parts (unless there is already a problem with the parts). I think there is a sealing ring on the toilet that you have to be cautious about, but IIRC it's a foam ring and not a one-install-only wax ring as is typical in home plumbing. Maybe someone else will jump in and confirm that for you or give you different advice.

Turn off the water supply, remove the supply line from the toilet, undo the two bolts holding the toilet to the floor, and lift it straight up. Examine the toilet, sealing ring, and flange for signs of leakage. When you reinstall, be cautious about dropping it gently straight down into its position, and getting the bolts and water supply re-applied with sufficient but not too-much force.

Regarding the shower water system you've started disassembling, I've never disassembled an RV faucet. I'd GUESS that from your current stage you may be able to remove the handles (often by removing a screw under an insert in the center of the handle), then remove the back of the fixture, and then the large backer behind it. Maybe someone who's actually done it will jump in with better advice.

@gbkims posted while I was writing this, good advice as usual.
    Last edited by boyscout; 01-17-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When using your moisture meter are you using it on the vinyl, or on the wood? What material is actually making contact? Is it a "probe" meter?

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast