Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tri pod stabilizer or wheel stabilizer

I’m looking for opinion on which is better, or should I get both? I use electric front stabilizer and will be putting on back electric stabilizer in the spring. We still have lots of “rocking”! Should I get a tri pod pin stabilizer for the front and/or the scissor wheel stabilizers?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard. I have the pin tripod I set up if we're going to be some place a while. I also have the BAL x-chocks which I installed between the tires on both sides. Not sure what you are referring to as electronic stabilizers but other than auto leveling on RVs with that capability, to manual leveling with blocks and jack extending front and rear, we don't use any electronic stabilizers. Getting the 4 or 6 legs down and something like the X-chock, helps stop a lot of movement when someone walks around inside. Soft walking also helps.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An easy DIY tip I was shown. Get yourself an old fashioned bumper jack from a junk yard and modify it to sit under your pin. A home made pin stabilizer that really helps with rocking.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    Welcome aboard. I have the pin tripod I set up if we're going to be some place a while. I also have the BAL x-chocks which I installed between the tires on both sides. Not sure what you are referring to as electronic stabilizers but other than auto leveling on RVs with that capability, to manual leveling with blocks and jack extending front and rear, we don't use any electronic stabilizers. Getting the 4 or 6 legs down and something like the X-chock, helps stop a lot of movement when someone walks around inside. Soft walking also helps.
    Same here, although we have a Bipod style Pin stabilizer. Once it's done leveling I install the X-chocks. Very little movement even with the grandkids - who do not have the ability to walk softly .
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lssu1771 View Post
    I’m looking for opinion on which is better, or should I get both? I use electric front stabilizer and will be putting on back electric stabilizer in the spring. We still have lots of “rocking”! Should I get a tri pod pin stabilizer for the front and/or the scissor wheel stabilizers?
    Maybe neither? I bought a couple of 10-foot pressure-treated 2X12 boards and cut them into 1-foot pieces. I carry most of those with us at the back of the truck bed, and put them under the leveling pads so that there is less of the hydraulic or electric ram sticking out of the trailer. Keeping those rams short and stubby significantly reduces rocking.

I've done this with two 35' GD trailers, a Reflection with electric levelers and a Solitude with hydraulic levelers. I'm a really big guy with a heavy foot, but have no complaints about rocking. I bought a pair of the X-frame scissor wheel stabilizers while I was awaiting delivery of the first trailer and we've never used them, don't even carry them anymore.

If you take this advice, here's one more bit of it: when stacking the blocks under the stabilizers, alternate the grain of the wood 90 degrees on each block. We lost a few blocks to cracking early on, none since we started doing that.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried the pin stabilizers. I do not think they do any good. I've also used and use the x chocks between the wheels, I think they work very well. We also bought a rear stabilizer that fits into the receiver hitch, uses two legs that extend to the ground and have a strap that goes between the legs and is tightened. It does work. It is like Well-built or Well-fab or something like that. It was about $70.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, I would love to know where to get a "rear stabilizer that fits into the receiver hitch" Do you have the mfg name, or remember where you ordered such a thing? (I don't seem to have the right search string to find it on my own)
    Juiceman

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Juiceman - I will do some research and see if I can find this out. We purchased it at the Grand Design Rally in August, in Colorado.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pin stabilizer and I don't think it helps at all. Mine sets at home in the barn. The suggestion above on keeping the jacking legs as short as possible is a great suggestion, I do that same thing and it works wonders.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found it! Winfield RV Products -- Scott Thompson -- [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast