User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Entry step replacement

I'm not a fan of the newer solid entry step for a variety of reasons. It dumps dirt and water inside when stowing, it sticks out too far and can be a hazard in tight parking areas, you could find yourself trapped inside if someone pulled in too close to that side with the steps out. Our traveling mode is frequent stops in rest areas. truck stops and Walmart type stays where it's not practical to fully deploy the entry steps. The unfortunate choice of GD and other builders is to install the solid steps which have no provision for partial deploy. We have stayed in interstate rest areas and woke up the next morning with another vehicle, usually semi, parked very close to us. If we had the solid steps we would have been unable to leave until the truck did, IF he/she didn't run over the damn things. Mid trip stops for lunch a similar issue. Can't partially deploy steps to climb in to make lunch. In uneven terrain the steps require leg adjustments to be solid. Folding steps have NONE of the above issues.

Last year GD was willing to install the older folding steps in a trailer being built. I specifically was dealing with a Solitude but understood that a Momentum could also be had with the better steps. Not every dealer knows this so you have to educate them who to contact at the factory. Last year I looked under some new Solitudes and Momentums, and the "box" for mounting the folding steps was still on the frame. A retrofit required removing the solid steps, doing some trimming of the sheep metal lower trim, and bolting in the folding steps. That was last year. Are things the same now? Will the factory still retrofit to the better steps during a build and is the sub framing still in place for "after the build" step modification.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like the new solid step. However, your comments seem valid. Perhaps taking an orange cone might help in the instances of close parking? Placing it at a distance that allows for the swing of the step could help. As for the dirt and water - I try to wipe as much as possible off before storing, and place thin boards under the feet. None of these are perfect solutions of course. But then we don't live in a perfect world. Hopefully you can get the new rig with the folding steps.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's is quite debatable whether or not folders are better... I will leave it as a YMMV scenario. However, what I can tell you is that it's not a problem to have this modification done if the factory will not. Most any mobile RV tech could do such a retrofit. In fact, it's quite easy, and the biggest challenge might be a little welding on the frame to install padding so the angle bracket hangers can bear with the step appropriately flushed to the J-wrap.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    I'm not a fan of the newer solid entry step for a variety of reasons. It dumps dirt and water inside when stowing, it sticks out too far and can be a hazard in tight parking areas, you could find yourself trapped inside if someone pulled in too close to that side with the steps out. Our traveling mode is frequent stops in rest areas. truck stops and Walmart type stays where it's not practical to fully deploy the entry steps. The unfortunate choice of GD and other builders is to install the solid steps which have no provision for partial deploy. We have stayed in interstate rest areas and woke up the next morning with another vehicle, usually semi, parked very close to us. If we had the solid steps we would have been unable to leave until the truck did, IF he/she didn't run over the damn things. Mid trip stops for lunch a similar issue. Can't partially deploy steps to climb in to make lunch. In uneven terrain the steps require leg adjustments to be solid. Folding steps have NONE of the above issues.

Last year GD was willing to install the older folding steps in a trailer being built. I specifically was dealing with a Solitude but understood that a Momentum could also be had with the better steps. Not every dealer knows this so you have to educate them who to contact at the factory. Last year I looked under some new Solitudes and Momentums, and the "box" for mounting the folding steps was still on the frame. A retrofit required removing the solid steps, doing some trimming of the sheep metal lower trim, and bolting in the folding steps. That was last year. Are things the same now? Will the factory still retrofit to the better steps during a build and is the sub framing still in place for "after the build" step modification.
    I agree with ya chunker. The solid is great for support but dumps dirt, rock and water back into the trailer. I own a June 2019 built 351m and the frame work for the outdoor steps is still there. If I cant solve my current issue with them right now, I will switch to the pull out from TorkLift. But first I will need to figure out where to move the outside subwoofer since it is currently bolted into that location.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love the solid step. We do agree with the dumping of stuff into the camper when you fold it into the camper. We have a hand broom mounted by the door so we can clean the steps before we fold them in. The other solution that is out there is that LCI has a tray to help catch all of that.

https://store.lci1.com/solidstep-all...ay-801380.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LCI tray.jpg  
    Dan
    F-250
    Reflection 150 Series 290BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue I have with the newer Lippert solid step is that the treads are only about 23" wide. No matter how wide the door is.

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love our TorkLift Glowsteps on our 2018 315RLTS - steady, easy to operate, no dirt nor water inside the RV. Not sure if Torklift offers Glowsteps for your Solitude but check Torklifts web site.
    2018 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2014 F250 Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4
    50 gallon Titan fuel tank
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad_dog View Post
    The issue I have with the newer Lippert solid step is that the treads are only about 23" wide. No matter how wide the door is.

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]
    With a 311BHS, no way to use the solid step. The stairs to the bedroom sick out into the front door. Crazy, right?
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    With a 311BHS, no way to use the solid step. The stairs to the bedroom sick out into the front door. Crazy, right?
    That's insane! Have you considered a class action suit?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad_dog View Post
    That's insane! Have you considered a class action suit?
    Good one!! nope....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast