Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kitchen Island replacement

Hello all,
    Toward the end of our last voyage, I started noticing the island in our Reflection moving a little. In a few days, it was moving alot! I got home and started to investigate, and was amazed how they built this thing. It was a jigsaw puzzle of ¼" plywood and 1x1 sticks with 4 corner pieces, held together with screws and staples. The staples were pulling out and everything was starting to implode! After considering what it would take to rebuild this correctly, I decided it would be easier to build an island from scratch.
    One thing that I really don't like about our trailer is the lack of counter space, so new island, new counter. My countertop was made by AIA countertops/Patrick Industries. I think the newer ones are made by Hi-Macs. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their countertops in their trailer, and if so would you be willing to share how it went. I am also wondering if you can mill this stuff your self by using some sharp powertools and wet sanding, or if it has to be done at the factory.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First observation: be sure that everything will still dovetail when the slides are pulled in. You don't say what model Reflection you have, but in many of the Reflection fivers, you could add some length to the end of the island that's toward the rear of the trailer, but adding to the front might mean you couldn't get the frig open with the slides in. In our rig, there's just barely enough space between the stock island and the buffet to get the frig out for service (with the slides out, of course). In any case, the island couldn't be any deeper without the kitchen slide or the dinette table hitting it with the slides in.

Now - the counter tops. These materials need to be worked by professionals with the proper tools. My bet is you could find a local company that does the solid counter tops who could do what you need. A larger replacement counter top is likely to be heavier than the stock unit, so you would need to take that into consideration when designing and building your new island cabinet. There's a lot of leverage for G-forces up there at the top...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    Yes, I am going to be sure and check the slides. My Reflection is a 29rs. The overall length of the top was 57", and I am going to stay with that length. Because the overhang on the back end is 13" and the under the sink space is much larger than the sink, I am going to increase the length of the cabinet from 36" to 41" and save 4" under the sink, giving me room for a small bank of drawers. It will also be built completely out of maple, and anchored to the frame like the previous cabinet. I thought about the top heaviness of the countertop, but I am going to take extra pains to make sure the cabinet is as strong as possible. My biggest issue now is I went by the big box this afternoon and they wanted $1100 for the countertop. Ouch!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thornhill View Post
    My biggest issue now is I went by the big box this afternoon and they wanted $1100 for the countertop. Ouch!!
    I'd say! That's pretty dear!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably a little late for this build, but...

I will be adding some countertops and it turns out that Lowes carries HiMacs in the exact color match of the 2017 Solitude. Not sure about other years.

.. and yes. I think it was $60/ft $$$$$