User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Dewinterizing 2020 Imagine 2970RL

I'd like to try for my first time de-winterizing my trailer at home and at the same time wanted to make sure the Heat, A/C work etc. all work. At home I only have a 15 amp service(in the garage) and was wondering whether I can check my equipment or should I have an electrician install a 30 amp service just for my trailer.

Also I've been reading/YouTube watching to use bleach to clean the lines out but where I bought my trailer they says not to because it's hard to get rid of the bleach smell. Just wondering what everyone on this forum does when they want to disinfect their water lines.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "De-winterizing" is pretty simple. I just connect city water and run water through each faucet until the water runs clear. I don't use bleach for anything.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dewinterizing and Sanitizing are two different things. To dewinterize, hook up to city/fresh water and open each faucet one at a time until the pink is gone. You have now dewinterized and ready for use.

I sanitize our rig once per year. Use a mixture of 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons of water. I fill the fresh water with the bleach solution, open all faucets until I get a bleach smell and then shut them off. Let sit overnight or about 4-5 hours and then drain. I make sure the system is set to sanitize which ensures the hot water heater is bypassed. Drain and rinse the lines and then we are ready to go.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lfry607 View Post
    I'd like to try for my first time de-winterizing my trailer at home and at the same time wanted to make sure the Heat, A/C work etc. all work. At home I only have a 15 amp service(in the garage) and was wondering whether I can check my equipment or should I have an electrician install a 30 amp service just for my trailer.

Also I've been reading/YouTube watching to use bleach to clean the lines out but where I bought my trailer they says not to because it's hard to get rid of the bleach smell. Just wondering what everyone on this forum does when they want to disinfect their water lines.
    We had an Image 2950RL (older version of the 2970). The Imagine series has a simple docking station, it does not have the Nautilus panel other rigs have.
    . On the exterior of the RV, remove the panel to expose the water heater and make sure the plastic dump plug on the water heater is installed. On the interior of the RV below the bathroom sink, remove the cover panel (2 screws) Leave your water heater in bypass mode. That is the bypass valve at the water heater open, keep the inlet and out let water heater valves closed while you purge the AF. This keeps AF out of the water heater.
    Hook up to city water and run all the faucets, bathroom sink, shower and kitchen sink hot and cold faucets ( even the water sprayer at the docking station) to purge the AF, until no more pink stuff or foam from antifreeze comes out. Wait until the water runs clear. Then on the interior at the water heater, you can close the bypass valve, and open the inlet and outlets of the water heater to allow the water heater to fill up with water. Make sure the electrical switch for the water heater stays turned OFF until its filled with water.
    Dumping the AF into the holding tanks by running the faucets is ok, it will not harm anything.

You can not run the AC on a 15 amp garage circuit. You need at lease a 30 amp for that.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 01-18-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank so much, really appreciate all this info being new to RVing....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You Steven, this information really helps me as this is my very first travel trailer. I'm looking forward to learning from experts like yourself on this forum.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Dewinterizing and Sanitizing are two different things. To dewinterize, hook up to city/fresh water and open each faucet one at a time until the pink is gone. You have now dewinterized and ready for use.

I sanitize our rig once per year. Use a mixture of 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons of water. I fill the fresh water with the bleach solution, open all faucets until I get a bleach smell and then shut them off. Let sit overnight or about 4-5 hours and then drain. I make sure the system is set to sanitize which ensures the hot water heater is bypassed. Drain and rinse the lines and then we are ready to go.
    X2 on this - it is what is in your manual. Will you get sick or die if you don't sanitize? Probably not. But puddles of standing water in the system can get pretty "funky" over time, and then it can be even harder to flush out the smell/taste. I sanitize every spring, and again if it has been unused for a couple of months in warmer weather.

When dewinterizing: Do not adjust the by-pass to the heater until you have flushed out the anti-freeze. Any that gets in that tank just swirls around, getting slowly diluted, so it can take many, many gallons of water to get it out. After flushing the rest of the system, unscrew the plastic drain plug and make sure the heater is empty, before plugging it back up. resetting the by-pass valves, and then do a final quick flush of the system again. Don't forget to open your low point drains, and any outside faucets when flushing.

For sanitizing, I DO circulate the bleach water into the presumably empty heater also. Nice warm, cozy place for things to grow. After letting everything sit for the recommended time, drain your fresh tank and hook up the hose to the city connection. Do an initial flush all faucets/showers/toilets, hot and cold. Turn off the water, and again pull the heater plug to drain. Turn on the water with the plug out (stand back!) let it run a bit. Turn off the water, put the plug back in, and do a final flush of the system again. Again, don't forget low point drains and the outside faucets. What little bit may remain in your fresh tank would be diluted to far less than you get out of your taps at home, when you fill the tank again.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After sanitizing and flushing the water system I run a mix of 1 qt white vinegar in 5 gallons of water through the system. This cuts the remaining bleach odor / taste.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer your second question....15 amp service from your garage will be fine for everything except your air conditioner. However, if you install an "easy start" on the air conditioner you would be able to run that on 15 amp. Do a forum search for more information on that.

If possible, though not necessary, a 30 amp plug for your RV is a great thing to have. Make sure that the electrician understands that it is 120 volts and NOT 240 volts...don't ask me how I know!

Enjoy your new adventures!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run our 2018 2970 on 15 amp all summer without issue, you just need to practice power management. Like, when the a/c is on you need to run your water heater on gas, that's really about it. A/C, microwave, tv, fridge, and coffee maker all on at one time is no problem on 15 amp. Nothing more than that tho.

If you sanitize with bleach you will get the bleach smell out as long as you properly flush the system/all faucets with fresh water after the 4 or 5 hour bleach soak. Oh, and don't use scented bleach, just the regular stuff. I do drink from our water system, so I do make sure to sanitize every spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast