User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many questions!!

Buying a 2020 Chevy 2500 crew cab gasser max payload is 3700lbs max 5th wheel is 16klbs and looking at GD 260RD or 29RS. I think I am well under the max trailering specs. My questions -
    Do I need a slide box? Can I do a gooseneck?
    What about being level when hooked up? Where are the adjustments to change heights?

As you can tell I am brand new to this. Not sure we will go with GD but at this point in my research - they seem like they can't be beat. I am so surprised to read about the problems this industry suffers from. Its hard to believe that spending as much $ as these rigs cost you have to expect problems and hope the dealership or the manufacture will help navigate them.

This site is fantastic and has so many knowledgeable people. At times the more I read the more confused I get and wonder if I am getting in way over my head. Having said that we are going to take the plunge and hope for minimal problems.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under towing specs with that vehicle.

A slider hitch is not needed with the Lippert Turning Point pin box for the 260RD. When using the Turning Point you would need the 4 point puck system or rails due to the torque it creates. The Turning Point allows the king pin to turn 22" back. It is not reccomended to just use the gooseball as attachment for the fifth wheel hitch when using the Turning Point. You will need a wedge specific to the hitch you choose.

For the 29RS, anything under a 6.5 ' bed a slider hitch is recommended. This will allow you to slide the hitch 10" back or so.

For the 29RS the cost is roughly similar when you have the puck system and utilize the gooseball to attach your fifth wheel hitch or replace the kingpin to a gooseneck. Gooseneck will require safety chains.

If you think you might uprade to larger fifth wheels in the future you can purchase a 20k for a nominal cost to upgrade.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll take a stab at some of your questions. We are on our first fifth wheel which weighs the same as the 29RS and pull with a 2017 GMC 2500, payload 2780 and a conventional fifth wheel hitch by Husky.
    With the 2020 specs you’ll have no issues handling the weight, you may need to be a little patient on the long grades. We have found no need for a slider, just be aware of the trailers cap in relation to your cab window.
    We ha e about 18000 miles on the trailer in two years and multiple transits of both the Rockies and the Appalachians.
    Our issues with our 2018 Trailer have all been related to suspension and brakes and a few minor trim issues. All but our decision to convert to hydraulic disk brakes covered by warrantee. We are disappointed in the quality of the running gear speed by Grand Design but have seen some improvement in the last year or so, Dexter axles, Goodyear Endurance tires etc
    One caution is that the bed height of the 2020 GM trucks has been reported to be an issue you might want to check out.

Good luck, and be sure to check the specs of the particular truck you are considering and not the brochure weights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clint thank you for verifying I have enough truck for what I am looking at. I think the bed is 6.8'. Some of the info regarding a puck system and rails is above my knowledge but will research it. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tortise - thank you - I haven't considered the bed height and will incorporate that question to the salespeople at the GD dealership.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have enough truck, but what is your truck's actual payload?

Not max payload.

Look at the yellow, black and white sticker inside the driver's door for your specific weights. Sometimes it is quite eye opening.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huntr70 - that's a very good question. I ordered the truck and only went by the website, When I built the vehicle on the site it said 3750lbs.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gijake View Post
    Tortise - thank you - I haven't considered the bed height and will incorporate that question to the salespeople at the GD dealership.
    Some salesman have integrity and personal ethics while others seem to be hold overs of used car salesman from the 60s & 70s. I would suggest that anything a salesman tells you.....always verify and confirm with actual owners here on this forum or on facebook. Some of the things I've heard salesman tell inexperienced buyers is down right scary.....they're actually putting the dealership at risk.

The flip side of that.....I recently sold my Momentum 376TH and bought a winter home in Southern Ariz. We went to Lazy Days RV in Tucson and bought a small travel trailer to travel in the summer months. Before they would accept my offer, I had to fill out a form with all the info from my truck (VIN. number, engine, transmission, rear end, and the info. from the data plate in the driver's door) and then they went out to verify). I was impressed with that.....it's great for a newbie that just doesn't know how to crunch the numbers and some joker that doesn't "know" tells them "oh, your truck will pull that.....no problem". It also takes the liability off of the dealership.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huntr70 - you were correct. I went to the Chevy dealership and looked at max payload on a truck equipped like the 1 I ordered. It says 3350 on the plate and online it says 3700. Still ok for what I want to get but 400lbs is a big swing.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JCZhome - thxs for your input. That Lazy Days RV sounds like a great place to do business.