User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintek Slide on 2800BH

We have a 2800BH with a couch, dinette slide out. It uses a Schwintek mechanism for extendind and retracting. When we retract the slide it seems to a bit bouncey or jerkey as it's coming in. Does anybody have any idea what or where I should check to troubleshoot this problem? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you connected to power when this is happening or on battery?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's happening while I'm hooked up to power, and when on battery. As if something creating friction or resistance at floor. Looked underneath and don't see anything and there doesn't seem to be anything hung up under carpet or anything inside.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The motors could be out of synch. They can get out of synch by not holding the extend or retract button for a few seconds after slide motion stops. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200118-192126_Drive.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	24368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200118-192157_Drive.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	24369

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you FT4NOW. I'll try that as soon as weather breaks and I can open it up. Much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While doing my trailer pre-check for our camping trip this past weekend, the slide failed. While I have the extended warranty, they require a licensed person to diagnose my issue to be covered. The earliest appt from my dealer was in Oct. so I called two different mobile tech services with similar appt times. I decided to pick up the Schwintek motor for $210 and did the swap myself (don't want to miss fall camping). From the inside facing outward, it was the left side with the issue (near the bathroom and the one that is a pain). In the end, it took an hour to complete the swap and that included getting my tools and a ladder (so not that bad).

The failure was related to no retention screw coming in from the outside. The motor became unseated and spun fraying the wires. I was reading somewhere where here (in the forum) that they aren't putting in retention screws. I can tell you first hand this would not have failed if they installed one from the factory. My son (better eyes than me) located the retention whole for the screw and now has one so hopefully this doesn't happen again (need to add one to the other side). To find the location to put the screw in, I screwed from the inside out prior to installing the replacement motor. This created the return whole and we were able to mark were to install the screw from the outside.

Everything runs a lot smother now and looking at the original post above, ours was a little jumpy (for the last few trips, I thought it needed to be lubed again) before this failure. You might want to check to see if the motor is fully seated. Sorry no picture but basically the four studs were visible.
    Mike
    2021 Reflection 295RL
    2021 Ford F-250 7.3L 4.30 rear
    B&W Companion hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by malbert721 View Post
    While doing my trailer pre-check for our camping trip this past weekend, the slide failed. While I have the extended warranty, they require a licensed person to diagnose my issue to be covered. The earliest appt from my dealer was in Oct. so I called two different mobile tech services with similar appt times. I decided to pick up the Schwintek motor for $210 and did the swap myself (don't want to miss fall camping). From the inside facing outward, it was the left side with the issue (near the bathroom and the one that is a pain). In the end, it took an hour to complete the swap and that included getting my tools and a ladder (so not that bad).

The failure was related to no retention screw coming in from the outside. The motor became unseated and spun fraying the wires. I was reading somewhere where here (in the forum) that they aren't putting in retention screws. I can tell you first hand this would not have failed if they installed one from the factory. My son (better eyes than me) located the retention whole for the screw and now has one so hopefully this doesn't happen again (need to add one to the other side). To find the location to put the screw in, I screwed from the inside out prior to installing the replacement motor. This created the return whole and we were able to mark were to install the screw from the outside.

Everything runs a lot smother now and looking at the original post above, ours was a little jumpy (for the last few trips, I thought it needed to be lubed again) before this failure. You might want to check to see if the motor is fully seated. Sorry no picture but basically the four studs were visible.
    Malbert721: Thank you so much for the information. While I'm sorry you had this problem, I really appreciate you sharing the fix. And the issue sounds like it may be what's happening with mine. We have one more trip scheduled this fall, so (fingers crossed) i'm gonna try to get through this one, and then when I winterize and move the trailer back into the pole building this will be a good project for me. Hope I'm not jinxing myself here.

So, you just pulled the inside moulding seal off, pull out the motor, add the retention screw and replace the motor and moulding seal?

Thanks again Malbert721!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct. Disconnected the motor cable first, then I needed a flat tip screwdriver to pop up the motor further. It was a little tough reaching between the slide wall and the bathroom wall. I'm not a big guy but left handed and had to reach in right handed to grab the motor. The retention screw goes in from the outside. Pull the molding back there as well. The hole will not be visible from the outside (at least not in my case) which is why I first sent a screw out from the inside to mark the location. Good luck.
    Mike
    2021 Reflection 295RL
    B&W Companion hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not had my trailer long enough to spend time looking at the Schwintek mechanism. Pictures of this would really be valuable. When you say "retention" screw, does that refer to a screw(s) that firmly holds the motor in place? If so, are you saying yours was just free floating around in the wall cavity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of my efforts (in a rush to hit the road). I used the link below and reviewed a couple of YouTubes. The Lippert website has good info as well. The main purpose of the retention screw is to keep the motor from unseating (my issue See page 6, Figure 6 of the pdf). My studs were out of their holes allowing the motor to spin. Retention screw would have helped that issue as well. Motor would spin no more than approx 1/2 inch (see page 4, Figure 2).

https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/...ting-Guide.pdf
    Mike
    2021 Reflection 295RL
    B&W Companion hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast