User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too...I am going to have to quit from this forum, costs too much!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto. It arrives tomorrow.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that our EMS, although hanging vertically, does seem to be pushed away from the pedestal by the pedestal itself. The plug then seems to be a little out at the bottom, which worries me - I've seen how a plug can be burned if not plugged securely. I just ordered one of these from Amazon as insurance. Thanks!
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhshaffer55 View Post
    Safe and proper operation of our RV electrical system starts with a solid connection to the campground power pedestal. On our end, always be certain that the male plug blades are clean, dry, and straight before inserting into the park receptacle. Anything that interferes with full contact will cause heat due to the resistance to current flow. This, in turn, can damage the plug and, possibly, our most expensive equipment such as air conditioners and residential refrigerators.

But we have no control over the condition of the receptacle in the park pedestal. If it becomes badly worn, the heat generated there can destroy a brand new plug on our pricy power cable in a short time.

Most of us are familiar with the various EMS protection devices available from Progressive Industries and others. These will do a great job to protect our rigs from a plethora of park-side issues. They are rather pricey, as well, but well worth the protection they provide.

But even their plugs are still susceptible to damage caused by a bad park receptacle. There is a simple, inexpensive solution also available from Progressive Industries. Marketed as a 50A Plug Extender, intended to allow their EMS to hang vertically from the pedestal, it will also provide adequate thermal isolation to prevent damage to any plug inserted into it. Even though I opted for a hardwired EMS within my 2019 Solitude, I always put one of these on my power cable before plugging in. I consider this VERY cheap insurance! Here's a link to the product:

https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...extension-plug
    I am so thankful for your post. I had the male end of a 30 amp EMS destroyed by a bad pedestal previously, I have been looking for something like this since I purchased our Momentum. Thank you so much for the information!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2019 Momentum 394M
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhshaffer55 View Post
    Safe and proper operation of our RV electrical system starts with a solid connection to the campground power pedestal. On our end, always be certain that the male plug blades are clean, dry, and straight before inserting into the park receptacle. Anything that interferes with full contact will cause heat due to the resistance to current flow. This, in turn, can damage the plug and, possibly, our most expensive equipment such as air conditioners and residential refrigerators.

But we have no control over the condition of the receptacle in the park pedestal. If it becomes badly worn, the heat generated there can destroy a brand new plug on our pricy power cable in a short time.

Most of us are familiar with the various EMS protection devices available from Progressive Industries and others. These will do a great job to protect our rigs from a plethora of park-side issues. They are rather pricey, as well, but well worth the protection they provide.

But even their plugs are still susceptible to damage caused by a bad park receptacle. There is a simple, inexpensive solution also available from Progressive Industries. Marketed as a 50A Plug Extender, intended to allow their EMS to hang vertically from the pedestal, it will also provide adequate thermal isolation to prevent damage to any plug inserted into it. Even though I opted for a hardwired EMS within my 2019 Solitude, I always put one of these on my power cable before plugging in. I consider this VERY cheap insurance! Here's a link to the product:

https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...extension-plug
    Thanks Shaffer
    Great idea to save the cord. Are you using it each time you plug into the pedestal or just when you feel the outlet is a bit loose?
    Thanks. It's in my shopping cart. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent post.... Thank you!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Once again, my wallet has been lightened by this forum!
    Where did you buy it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you buy it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Once again, my wallet has been lightened by this forum!
    haha - mine as well
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fgholl View Post
    Where did you buy it?
    I don't remember, since that was a couple of years ago, and I shop for the best deal. Other replies to my post said Amazon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast