User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap 50A Plug Damage Insurance

Safe and proper operation of our RV electrical system starts with a solid connection to the campground power pedestal. On our end, always be certain that the male plug blades are clean, dry, and straight before inserting into the park receptacle. Anything that interferes with full contact will cause heat due to the resistance to current flow. This, in turn, can damage the plug and, possibly, our most expensive equipment such as air conditioners and residential refrigerators.

But we have no control over the condition of the receptacle in the park pedestal. If it becomes badly worn, the heat generated there can destroy a brand new plug on our pricy power cable in a short time.

Most of us are familiar with the various EMS protection devices available from Progressive Industries and others. These will do a great job to protect our rigs from a plethora of park-side issues. They are rather pricey, as well, but well worth the protection they provide.

But even their plugs are still susceptible to damage caused by a bad park receptacle. There is a simple, inexpensive solution also available from Progressive Industries. Marketed as a 50A Plug Extender, intended to allow their EMS to hang vertically from the pedestal, it will also provide adequate thermal isolation to prevent damage to any plug inserted into it. Even though I opted for a hardwired EMS within my 2019 Solitude, I always put one of these on my power cable before plugging in. I consider this VERY cheap insurance! Here's a link to the product:

https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...extension-plug
    Last edited by bhshaffer55; 01-18-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this post. I looked at the gadget and cannot see how it would help. My PI surge protector hangs straight down anyway.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    Thanks for this post. I looked at the gadget and cannot see how it would help. My PI surge protector hangs straight down anyway.
    What the OP is saying is that if a campground 50 amp receptacle has poor contact due to corrosion etc then the gadget would melt due to the heat produced, not your surge protector plug.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI... I carry a can of silicon spray lube and if the female connector at the pedestal looks long unused or neglected I give it shot. Of course a quick look is always prudent and if it looks suspect a call to the camp office.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last campground we were at we had the 50 amp plug go bad on us. Was melting on the inside and shorting out on one leg. Never tripped the breaker or our protection.
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerryr nailed it. This relatively inexpensive gadget is what interfaces with the park receptacle. Your cable plug, or EMS plug, then inserts into this. If the park receptacle is bad, the heat will occur at the gadget's blades, thereby protecting your power cable or EMS plug.
    Last edited by bhshaffer55; 01-19-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you examine your plug afterwards for heat damage such as discolored plug blades or melted plastic?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may help light corrosion, dirt, spider webs, etc., but heavier corrosion, loose connections, or previously heat-annealed contacts, which have lost their tight springiness, will still overheat.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhshaffer55 View Post
    This may help light corrosion, dirt, spider webs, etc., but heavier corrosion, loose connections, or previously heat-annealed contacts, which have lost their tight springiness, will still overheat.
    OP doesn’t dispute the pedestal receptacle can overheat for whatever reason. He or she is recommending that using this $30 gizmo will protect your >$300 surge protection unit or shore cord as the potentially overheating pedestal receptacle will melt the extender instead of these more expensive items. Great idea I ordered one from Amazon a few minutes ago.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhshaffer55 View Post
    Safe and proper operation of our RV electrical system starts with a solid connection to the campground power pedestal. On our end, always be certain that the male plug blades are clean, dry, and straight before inserting into the park receptacle. Anything that interferes with full contact will cause heat due to the resistance to current flow. This, in turn, can damage the plug and, possibly, our most expensive equipment such as air conditioners and residential refrigerators.

But we have no control over the condition of the receptacle in the park pedestal. If it becomes badly worn, the heat generated there can destroy a brand new plug on our pricy power cable in a short time.

Most of us are familiar with the various EMS protection devices available from Progressive Industries and others. These will do a great job to protect our rigs from a plethora of park-side issues. They are rather pricey, as well, but well worth the protection they provide.

But even their plugs are still susceptible to damage caused by a bad park receptacle. There is a simple, inexpensive solution also available from Progressive Industries. Marketed as a 50A Plug Extender, intended to allow their EMS to hang vertically from the pedestal, it will also provide adequate thermal isolation to prevent damage to any plug inserted into it. Even though I opted for a hardwired EMS within my 2019 Solitude, I always put one of these on my power cable before plugging in. I consider this VERY cheap insurance! Here's a link to the product:

https://www.progressiveindustries.ne...extension-plug
    Once again, my wallet has been lightened by this forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast