User Tag List

Thread: 390rk ccc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy 390rk ccc

New to the forum!

So my wife and I have been searching for a rig to move into full time. We initially loved the Cedar Creek 38DBRK (Very similar layout but no elevated kitched) but the storage is pretty mediocre compared to the 390RK. Then we found the new Grand Design 390RK and with all of the storage and the layout, is the absolute perfect fifth wheel for us. It checks every single box of what we need and our lifestyle and we couldn't ask for a better layout for us.... until... I start looking at the cargo carrying capacity. With a GVWR of 16,800 and a UVW of 14,562, that leaves CCC at 2,238 lbs. Add in a washer and dryer and full water (we plan on doing some boondocking), you are looking at around 1200 lbs of CCC. Does anyone else think this is ridiculously low? I feel like just a weekender would be overweight pretty quick, let alone a full time! So my question is if I am calculating this wrong or if I am really thinking straight and the CCC is this low. Because if it is, there is no way this trailer will work for us which is incredibly disappointing! I literally spent a couple of hours last night standing on the scale weighing things and Ill tell you that these things add up incredibly fast and we don't even have much stuff! (We live in a 600 sq ft apartment and don't even use our dining area) Even with having very few possessions, I feel like we will overweigh the trailer really quick. Any input would be really nice! Thank you!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a different model than you are looking at but similar CCC. I agree they are low and it easy to push the limits of it. I lost several hundred pounds by adding a second a/c and solar panels as well as more batteries. The longest trip we have done we were on the road for 2 months. We came very close to max weight. We are already looking at ways to shave off weight. There seems to be very few rigs (of all brands) with any decent CCC. We passed up several other brands specifically because of it. With all of that said it is possible to stay under but you will have to be very aware (as it seems you are) of everything that goes in/on your rig. Good luck with your search and keep us updated.
    Last edited by Justa5th; 01-19-2020 at 10:01 AM.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that the of ccc with GD units is one of their biggest problems. What I think is happening is they are kind of stuck on what can they do about it. With everything they have on these trailers they are heavy. If they do things to increase the gvwr to get better ccc it would put the trailers in a higher weight class, meaning that to tow them you would have to have a bigger truck to tow them. They do that they will loose a lot of customers. To reduce the dry weight they would have to use even more inferior components in the trailers or even eliminate some items, which would also cost them customers. Kind of stuck on what do you do. Obviously like any business person the bottom line is important. You do what the majority of the customers want.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Cedar Creek I mentioned has around 5,000 CCC but nowhere to put anything! If the 390RK had even 3000 CCC, I would not hesitate. But unfortunately it doesn't. Do you have a Washer and Dryer as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I believe that the of ccc with GD units is one of their biggest problems. What I think is happening is they are kind of stuck on what can they do about it. With everything they have on these trailers they are heavy. If they do things to increase the gvwr to get better ccc it would put the trailers in a higher weight class, meaning that to tow them you would have to have a bigger truck to tow them. They do that they will loose a lot of customers. To reduce the dry weight they would have to use even more inferior components in the trailers or even eliminate some items, which would also cost them customers. Kind of stuck on what do you do. Obviously like any business person the bottom line is important. You do what the majority of the customers want.
    Just curious if you notice that people are asking for more CCC or a lighter trailer to be pulled by a smaller vehicle?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that new units being ordered now can be ordered with a great package adding:

8k Axles
    Hydraulic Disc Brakes
    17.5" Wheels and Load Range H rated tires

Apparently if this option is picked, it adds around 1200# to the CCC of the trailer. Which is obviously AWESOME and what they should have been offering all along. Just an FYI - do not lose hope

This package should be mandatory on all of the models with that slide out storage tray in my opinion.....
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    I heard that new units being ordered now can be ordered with a great package adding:

8k Axles
    Hydraulic Disc Brakes
    17.5" Wheels and Load Range H rated tires

Apparently if this option is picked, it adds around 1200# to the CCC of the trailer. Which is obviously AWESOME and what they should have been offering all along. Just an FYI - do not lose hope

This package should be mandatory on all of the models with that slide out storage tray in my opinion.....
    Hmmmm interesting. I am assuming you must pay MSRP if you are going this route? I have never thought or looked into ordering one specifically as I assumed you needed to pay MSRP to do that.

Otherwise, can I have that installation done myself and still get the 1200# of CCC? My guess would be technically yes but the trailer sticker won't reflect it and may be illegal.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You still negotiate end price with your dealer same as buying one of their lot. I would expect the deposit is higher though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8k axles now an option

Starting with the 2021 models, you can order the 390RK with 8k axles raising the max weight from 16,800 to 18,000 (over 3k left for cargo). I actually emailed GD that the 8k axles should be standard on a trailer of this type where the huge storage is its selling point. They did reply quickly to me, but all they said was salesman BS.

My wife and I are looking hard at models now for our future full timing as we will be buying used, and looking at 2020-21 models. I'm thinkin it will be impossible to find a 390RK used that was ordered with the 8k axles. Hopefully they will make them standard, as we also love the floorplan.