User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tow vehicle

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without weights hard to tell ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jquillen View Post
    So I decided on the new tow vehicle. It was a long and tiring debate internally, over the SRW or DRW. Lon or short box.... so many decisions. But what it came down to is the amount I will be actually towing and the fact that the TV is an every day driver.
    My wife and I decided, and purchased the 2020 f350 SRW with a short box. It has 22,000 total towing and a payload on the sticker of 3520. Not much room on the payload for pin weight + everything else, I know but the airbags will assist with the load distribution.
    The ford has the the new 10 speed transmission, so I think that will be nice.

I'm pulling a new 368wb Solitude Fifth Wheel.

What do you all think?

You will definitely be overweight. We also have just gone through this same decision process and decided on the DRW.
    If your rig is in fact a 382WB the unloaded weight is 14866 with an unloaded pin weight of 3052. Now remember unloaded weight is before the dealer adds anything (batteries propane and tanks etc).
    You show your payload as 3520. So completely unloaded you only have 468lbs of payload. We can add 150lbs for what ford figures in for the driver so 618Lbs before you add batteries, propane and tanks etc. then you have to figure in the weight you and your passengers, as well gas or diesel fuel, your fifth wheel hitch, and any other stuff you may put in the vehicle not to mention anything you might add to the trailer.

As I said above you will be overweight. I'm not here to pass judgement do what you are comfortable with, but you did ask. 8)

To the other poster who did not want to show this thread to his wife. Go ahead and show her IMHO you made the correct choice.

Happy Camping,

Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased my 2020 F-350 DRW towing our 2019 GD Reflection 337rls. It’s a perfect matchup. The truck in my opinion drives like a big Lincoln.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently went through the SRW vs DRW and went with the DRW option. It is my daily driver and after 1 week of driving in city traffic - all my concerns have vanished. My DRW drives like my F250 but smoother and has a big rear end. I back in the parking spots at work and no issues. Honestly, if you have driven a F250 or F350 SRW the learning curve for a DRW is negligible. At least it was for me.

First week of ownership and I've visited the grocery store, McDonald's drive through, and other places you wouldn't think a DRW would fit. There are places I wouldn't want to navigate but that's when I take my wife's Beamer .

Highly recommend the DRW for anyone on the fence.

I was nervous about having a DRW but @overtax and a few others made valid points that pushed me to a DRW. I don't want to find myself in a situation where I put my family in an unsafe situation - even if I'm not full time. The cost difference is marginal and worth it. My wife actually likes the DRW better - go figure. She said, she doesn't have to climb as high to get into the DRW and the drive was smoother...win win.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
    I recently went through the SRW vs DRW and went with the DRW option. It is my daily driver and after 1 week of driving in city traffic - all my concerns have vanished. My DRW drives like my F250 but smoother and has a big rear end. I back in the parking spots at work and no issues. Honestly, if you have driven a F250 or F350 SRW the learning curve for a DRW is negligible. At least it was for me.

First week of ownership and I've visited the grocery store, McDonald's drive through, and other places you wouldn't think a DRW would fit. There are places I wouldn't want to navigate but that's when I take my wife's Beamer .

I was nervous about having a DRW but @overtax and a few others made valid points that pushed me to a DRW. I don't want to find myself in a situation where I put my family in an unsafe situation - even if I'm not full time. The cost difference is marginal and worth it. My wife actually likes the DRW better - go figure. She said, she doesn't have to climb as high to get into the DRW and the drive was smoother...win win.
    Congrats on truck ... good choice that is a big 5ver ... SRW/DRW are not "easy" to park especially crew/8' bed ... but absolutely not a reason to have one ... our express car wash even accommodates DRW
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post

Yep, exact same scenario here

Congratulations,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur with some of the others have posted. That trailer has a GVWR of 16,800 lbs and if it is loaded to at or near that weight, you are going to have close to, if not at least 3400 lbs of pin weight sitting on a truck that has a payload capacity of 3520. You may never load the trailer to the GVWR, but the best way to calculate when trying to match a truck and trailer is to use the GVWR of the trailer as a worst case scenario, then you are covered. Another thing to consider is that if you go over payload numbers, that automatically put the truck over it's GVWR. And in this case, a fully loaded trailer and the weight of your truck will almost certainly put you over the GCVWR for the truck.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New towing vehicle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200229_114451(0)[1].jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	25083

Name:	20200229_140523[1].jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	25084

Name:	20200229_140513[1].jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	25085

We've traded our 2018 Chevy Tahoe LS for this 2020 Chevy Tahoe RST with a 6.2 litre and the 10 speed transmission. We stayed with the SUV segment instead of a pickup as this is a daily driver for my wife to take to work. I can't wait to haul our 2020 Grand Design Imagine 23BHE with it! The towing rating on this is 8100 lbs so I'm hoping it will make a little difference in hauling.
    Last edited by IROCQUE; 03-01-2020 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added images

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn’t there used to be a thread hijack emoji?

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jquillen View Post
    So I decided on the new tow vehicle. It was a long and tiring debate internally, over the SRW or DRW. Lon or short box.... so many decisions. But what it came down to is the amount I will be actually towing and the fact that the TV is an every day driver.
    My wife and I decided, and purchased the 2020 f350 SRW with a short box. It has 22,000 total towing and a payload on the sticker of 3520. Not much room on the payload for pin weight + everything else, I know but the airbags will assist with the load distribution.
    The ford has the the new 10 speed transmission, so I think that will be nice.

I'm pulling a new 368wb Solitude Fifth Wheel.

What do you all think?
    To get more payload, look for or order a truck with a gvwr of 11900 or higher, which should give you around 4000 to 4400 lbs of payload, that should keep you from being overloaded
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast