User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    No one has mentioned the fuel filter.

I have had a dirty fuel filter drive me crazy while camping before. Generator would not run continuously and kept shutting down. Change the fuel filter and everything worked great again. A simple and cheap maintenance task. Since then I now carry a spare fuel filter.
    That's very true, didn't even think of the fuel filter since mine's propane and doesn't have one. If everything is up to snuff you should be able to run the generator all day while towing. In Texas heat it's nice to pull in and set up camp while the coach is already cooled down.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    No one has mentioned the fuel filter.

I have had a dirty fuel filter drive me crazy while camping before. Generator would not run continuously and kept shutting down. Change the fuel filter and everything worked great again. A simple and cheap maintenance task. Since then I now carry a spare fuel filter.

Probably worth looking at, but my genny will run all day sitting, it's only when driving that it decides "I'm tired" and won't run for any length of time. Also, perhaps little more info, if I try to run it while driving and it dies, it's always hard to restart. It'll take a few tries to get it restarted, it'll start, run for a few sec, then die. Eventually it'll settle out and run well again, but perhaps that info helps.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We routinely start ours when about two hours from our destination to get things started cooling. Only time I have had it cut off while driving was when the fuel (gas) tank was getting low and it lost supply. Pumped another 10 gallons of so into the tank and did not have the issue.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your oil level. That is your issue more than likely.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchertx View Post
    Check your oil level. That is your issue more than likely.
    I agree with the oil level. Genset more than likely has a low oil shutdown safety. As you are driving the oil level will be moving around and if it’s down a bit might set off the low oil shut down.
    2020 Reflection 295RL 150 Series
    2007 Classic Chevrolet 3500 Duramax Ext Cab SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. Make sure it is full. When you go around a curve the oil goes to one side and the shut down trips. Mine does the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your genny didn’t stay running at the rest area when you stopped, it may be a bad fuel pump, not sure the age of your unit, but mine went out after 3 years.... check for fuel pressure.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for can/should you run the generator while towing? The Cummins rep at one of the GD rallies we went to recommended you run it while traveling and turn the fridge, a/c, whatever you want on. He said make the thing work, it's better than it sitting idle for as long as they normally do. Except in heavy rain where the cooling fan could draw water in from the bottom.
    Russ & Faith
    2019 Momentum 349M
    2020 Silverado Duramax
    1999 Valkyrie Interstate

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the rig is in for it's first service and I've got the dealer tracking it down. I'll let you know what they find. To those who suggested oil level, very good idea, but it was "full" when I looked at it. Maybe I need to go "over full" though because that's a really likely candidate. Could be a bad sensor there too, perhaps adding "over full" wouldn't have fixed it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Well, the rig is in for it's first service and I've got the dealer tracking it down. I'll let you know what they find. To those who suggested oil level, very good idea, but it was "full" when I looked at it. Maybe I need to go "over full" though because that's a really likely candidate. Could be a bad sensor there too, perhaps adding "over full" wouldn't have fixed it.
    Please be careful on the over full oil. I ruined the carb on a 4K Onan years ago in a class C motorhome. There were no instructions in the manual about the dipstick reading, do you twist all the way in then out to read or just stick it in and pull out and read. I was doing the opposite of correct and overfilling by a few ounces. That was enough to suck oil in the carb and gum it up. $400 bucks later I knew the right way! I'm betting it will come back a bad oil level sensor.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast