User Tag List

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

351M, genny will not stay running while driving

So, strange problem on my 351M. Was driving home from the campsite today and I wanted to let the generator run to get the oil hot (to change it). Would not stay running. Stalled out. Very difficult to restart when we got to rest area and it would run for 30 sec or so and die again. Sounds like lack of fuel, just sputters out and dies. Will restart, but won't stay running long. It's the 4000 EVAP generator, if that matters.

First question, should I be able to do this? Any problem with starting up the generator and setting off on a trip? I was thinking perhaps there's an oil sensor in there that; when it's bounced around, get's a "low oil" alarm and shuts down (or something like that).

Next question, if I should be able to do this, any ideas what might be wrong?

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How full is the fuel cell?

Driving around may make the pick up come up dry, shutting the generator down.

The 351M should have an Onan 5500 on it, if from factory.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    How full is the fuel cell?

Driving around may make the pick up come up dry, shutting the generator down.
    The fuel tank is about 80% full. Or are you talking about something else?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used my propane generator on several trips to Houston while towing, no issues at all as long as I have propane. Is it full of oil? I believe they have a low oil sensor that will shut it down too. If it's just a little low and sloshes around while towing that could trigger it. Just a thought.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I've used my propane generator on several trips to Houston while towing, no issues at all as long as I have propane. Is it full of oil? I believe they have a low oil sensor that will shut it down too. If it's just a little low and sloshes around while towing that could trigger it. Just a thought.
    That was my thought too, some safety system shutting it down. I've seen mention of "error codes", does the genny on a 351M have that available? Can I "ask it" why it shut down? That would answer a lot of questions.

To your particular question, yeah, seems to be very full of oil. Way up on the stick, I can actually see if when I look down into the hole. But that's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking as a likely culprit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    That was my thought too, some safety system shutting it down. I've seen mention of "error codes", does the genny on a 351M have that available? Can I "ask it" why it shut down? That would answer a lot of questions.

To your particular question, yeah, seems to be very full of oil. Way up on the stick, I can actually see if when I look down into the hole. But that's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking as a likely culprit.
    Mine has a few blinking light error codes on the interior start panel. Something like:1 blink = overheat 2 blinks = low oil 3 blinks = I'm tired etc lol. Should be something in the manual if you have one.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Mine has a few blinking light error codes on the interior start panel. Something like:1 blink = overheat 2 blinks = low oil 3 blinks = I'm tired etc lol. Should be something in the manual if you have one.
    LOL @3blinks.

So, just so I'm clear here, this SHOULD work, right? I should be able to tow the 351M with the genny running no problem? Just want to make sure I'm not trying to do something that's not supported. I'll see if I can get a blink code from it tomorrow.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You may also have a stuck fuel float assuming it is not injected. Also if oil is overfilled it will foam from being thrown up into the crank etc. Get oil to the proper level. Also smell the oil to see if it has gas or fuel in it.
    Hope this helps.

BTW I always drain mine when cold overnight. That way its all dripped down into the pan. It just takes longer to drain out.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run with the generator on all the time. I ran it from FL to ID. I've noticed mine will turn off if I go over very rough bouncy roads or when the maintenance required reminder comes on. If you look at the generator screen on the MyRV LCD, the maintenance button will be red, click it and reset it and it goes away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one has mentioned the fuel filter.

I have had a dirty fuel filter drive me crazy while camping before. Generator would not run continuously and kept shutting down. Change the fuel filter and everything worked great again. A simple and cheap maintenance task. Since then I now carry a spare fuel filter.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast