User Tag List

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    These generators have a coil to generate the spark.
    Sorry, coil is what I mean (and was referring to). Those have been known to fail in a way that they make spark just fine cold, but then fail when they are hot. I'm 99% sure it's not a fuel delivery problem, I'm not sure it's not the control board, it's not air, so, running out of things to check here. Seems like it has to be spark at this point because I've ruled out just about everything else that it could be. I have a test light for spark, but I'm not exactly sure how to hook it up, you're not supposed to run the generator with the front cover off, so I guess I can wire in the light, run the genny, and when it starts to fail, very quickly open the cover so I can watch and see if the spark is still firing?

I may just try and change the plugs first, there's nothing here pointing at bad plugs, but it's an easy/cheap "might as well try it" thing. Have no idea how a plug would fail when it gets hot and work like a champ cold, maybe others have some better insight?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are your thoughts on potential governor issue. I know it needs to run at 3600 rpm to provide the required 60 hertz. Maybe?
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have been a maybe before I installed the Flight Systems board. That board, per their documentation, does not shut down for anything except a loss of oil pressure. So I don't think it's that, also, the power, up until it starts to surge, is nice and clean 59-61hz all the time. It's a good thought, but I think it's ruled out by what I've already changed. If the documentation from Flight Systems is correct, there's no checking of any characteristics of the power or generator, which leads me to "physical issue" which then leads me to "spark/fuel/air". I'm 99% sure the problem isn't fuel, and I don't see how it could be air, so.. Gotta be spark, right?

It could also be something crazy, like a random block of a port in the carb by some garbage floating around in there. It does sound like a "run out of fuel" type stoppage, so I might try a carb replacement and see if it helps.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just reading earlier today of the exact same symptoms and it was attributed to a leaking intake manifold. I guess it is not one piece and if the gasket leaks as it warms up it gets leaner and leaner until it won’t run. Once it cools off starts right back up. I think that may worth investigation.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

351M, genny will not stay running while driving

Here is a picture of a leaking intake manifold.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5113.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	36760

I honestly believe this is a good candidate.

Link to the video
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XmqmIzm4nZA
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Here is a picture of a leaking intake manifold.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5113.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	36760

I honestly believe this is a good candidate.

Link to the video
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XmqmIzm4nZA
    Wow!
    @Overtaxed

I'm not sure if you can get in to the area of the manifold, but if you can, if you spray some carb cleaner around that area of the manifold and there is a leak, it should stumble when it sucks in the cleaner.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL. Were you able to figure anything out?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314