User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, doing a little reading and surfing, this looks like a REAL likely culprit. I know my oil level was "full" (as shown in the video) and what he's talking about in this video is that if you take it to "full" it's too full and the genny with stop. Very interesting, and this could be really helpful for others having this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzXDlln8aUw

I was thinking "underful" and the oil sensor was shutting it down, might be overfull instead?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that's exactly what my old 4000K was doing. He did not mention in the video about whether you screw it in then out to read level, apparently you just dip it in and then read it. You should try and remove a little oil and see.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly, my rig is at the dealer getting serviced or else I'd be hooking up and driving it around the block with the genny running. I know, for sure, that my oil is reading "full" (all the way up) because I checked it several times thinking the oil was low and that was causing the safety to engage. Sounds like it's the opposite, if it's too high something happens (what, I'd love to know?!) that causes it to flame out. I'm 99% sure this is my issue, it's just exactly the description of what I'm seeing happen, my oil is way high, and the other things that might do this are all pretty unlikely, it's a brand new generator, its never seen ethanol in it's life, it runs like a champ parked (which I'm assuming is because the oil level is just on the edge of "too high" and when I drive with it running, it goes over the edge).

Anyway, I'll report back, both what the dealer does (if anything) and if they don't drain the oil/fix it themselves, I'll do it when I get it back and see if that is, in fact, the fix for me. Crossing fingers, can't remember the last time I fixed something mechanical for 0 dollars!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very hard to overfill these Onans because they take oil so slow. I run mine slightly below the full notch on the dipstick.

If i let it get to half or so, it will shut off in transit.

If it is too full it can spit oil out the exhaust. Some of that may make it into the cylinder through the valves.

I know if mine dies when it is hot under a load it is hard to restart.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an input from a Rally I was at and they had the Onan generator reps there. they said that class A and C coaches could run their generators while driving, but highly discouraged a towed RV from running theirs. After reading this post, it sounds like that rep might not know what he was talking about. Said it was a safety issue. Thoughts?
    Cookie Koch
    2018 Ram Limited 3500 Diesel DRW
    2018 Momentum 351m

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would having a gen running in a towed trailer be any more dangerous than in a MH?
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookieamt View Post
    Just an input from a Rally I was at and they had the Onan generator reps there. they said that class A and C coaches could run their generators while driving, but highly discouraged a towed RV from running theirs. After reading this post, it sounds like that rep might not know what he was talking about. Said it was a safety issue. Thoughts?
    He obviously didn’t know anything about his product. He probably sold lawnmowers before he took a job with Onan.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this is frustrating. RV is at Cummins right now and I just got a call from them, "nothing wrong with the generator" must be the fuel supply system. And the RV dealer pointed at Cummins because they can't "fix" the generator. Real annoying, and I guess it's back to "fix it yourself". Not really sure what to do here, it's almost certainly a fuel supply issue given the codes (unexpected generator shutdown, code 36). They said it may be a kink in the line somewhere, might be too much distance to the fuel tank, might be a badly vented fuel tank; basically, might be anything but the genny itself (which, honestly, I kind of believe, it runs 100% perfect when I'm not driving). Just annoying, the RV was in to get this fixed, they didn't fix it, and now it's another month before they can get me in again. Meanwhile, I'm caught in the "what to do" situation. <annoyed> I swear, "service" is just about worthless in most cases if it's not an "easy fix". Just venting my annoyance, but, if anyone has ideas, please, by all means, because it looks like I'm going to have to start doing the old (and expensive) "just start swapping parts" routine.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Well, this is frustrating. RV is at Cummins right now and I just got a call from them, "nothing wrong with the generator" must be the fuel supply system. And the RV dealer pointed at Cummins because they can't "fix" the generator. Real annoying, and I guess it's back to "fix it yourself". Not really sure what to do here, it's almost certainly a fuel supply issue given the codes (unexpected generator shutdown, code 36). They said it may be a kink in the line somewhere, might be too much distance to the fuel tank, might be a badly vented fuel tank; basically, might be anything but the genny itself (which, honestly, I kind of believe, it runs 100% perfect when I'm not driving). Just annoying, the RV was in to get this fixed, they didn't fix it, and now it's another month before they can get me in again. Meanwhile, I'm caught in the "what to do" situation. <annoyed> I swear, "service" is just about worthless in most cases if it's not an "easy fix". Just venting my annoyance, but, if anyone has ideas, please, by all means, because it looks like I'm going to have to start doing the old (and expensive) "just start swapping parts" routine.
    Def sounds frustrating. On the positive side Cummins ruled out the generator being the problem.

I doubt it's a kinked line since you said it runs fine while stationary. Does it run fine while the slides are retracted? I wonder if with the slide in it is pushing on the fuel line? I kind of doubt it since the fuel line is ran inside a plastic tube on the frame rail, but worth checking.

It also seems strange for it to be a badly vented tank since it runs fine while stationary.

My guess would be something to do with the fuel pump pickup and the fuel sloshing around. I havent explored how the fuel pump interfaces with the fuel tank, but if it were me I would start there after checking if the generator runs fine while the slides are in.

If you're really stuck, you could always have GD authorize a mobile repair tech, but I think you need to pay their service fee.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, runs fine with slides in too, it's just moving/towing that's the issue, and it's also "big bumps" that are the real issue. If the road is flat (and level) it appears to work fine, it always dies when the road gets rough (or lots of hills). Is there even a fuel pump at the tank on this trailer? I thought it was only the one up by the genny, it was "sucking" the fuel up to the genny, not pushing it from the tank (which is perhaps the root of the problem). I did hear back from them, they said there's some service bulletin out there about vapor lock that could cause this problem and a new "insulation kit" that they can install to try to help. Not exactly hopeful here, but it's something, so perhaps that'll be the fix?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast