User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have an awning extender

We bought our 297RSTS back in October. Sadly, winter is here in Michigan so all I can do is look at it out the window and dream for now.

As part of my dreaming, I notice Carefree makes an "Awning extender" that has one side that slides into an unused slot in your awning roller and then a couple poles that you stake out so that you can increase your awning by about 8 feet out from the existing awning.

Even though we have not used our lovely new home away from home yet, I can see we are going to be starved for covered space since the kitchen slide out takes up a fair amount of space under the awning. One of the downsides of the 297rsts design.

Has anyone used one of these Carefree extenders or any other alternative forms of increasing the covered space?

P. S. Apologies if this was already discussed. I searched many times but saw no mention of extenders in any threads.
    Terry, Patty, Sophie (Great Pyrenees) and Tessa (German Shep/Pyr Mix)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS
    2021 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.75' bed /6.7L Diesel/3.55 electronic locking axle

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, many of us use them. It's almost a need with the high awnings if you want to sit under shade. Searching "sunblocker" should bring it up. The search does not work as well as many want to believe so sometimes you need to do a Google search with this website in target.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The attached photo is not the greatest but you can see the sunshade attached to the awning on our fifth wheel. Not sure if that is what you are considering. Does a great job of giving you shade when the angle of the sun is such that you are getting sun from the side instead of overhead (almost always and issue since the lower 48 states are well North of the equator). Ours, as you can see, does not offer any measurable additional covered space and does not keep the rain out. Daughter and Great Nephew in the foreground after some pool time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF7CE106-9E33-4D67-8133-2D1A99930A73.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	661.5 KB 
ID:	24397
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.