User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too cold for my Ford -6f

Well that was interesting. Breckenfridges goodbye kiss was -6f this morning, the coldest since we arrived. The 2019 F450 decided it wanted to sleep in till it warmed up. "Reduced Power" and "Low Fuel Pressure". Finally dug the block heater connection out and plugged it in. I know should have been doing that since the first cold night.

Added anti-gel fuel additive, turn it into the sun. When I got it warmed up to the mid twenties it finally started running good. Check engine light stayed on. Got the skirt busted out of the ice, hooked up and drove. Pretty easy drive till we got to Muddy pass, leftover patches of ice. Dropped it into 4x4 and slowed way down. Pulled over when I started backing traffic up. I'll bet my FL plates caused more than one comment on the icy mountain roads.

Mostly the roads were dry so wasn't too bad. Check engine light finally went out. Now we are settled in at the KOA in Steamboat, after an hour the thermostat on the wall reads, 55, feels pretty warm. Oh wait, that's the rum and coke, mom and the animals are still sitting in front of the portable heater in the kitchen. I still gotta go out and plug the truck back in but otherwise I am a pretty happy camper.

Here's the kicker. I had my truck serviced by a Ford dealer in Houston TX. I typically refuel at the half tank level. I know better so it's my own fault. First off, the windshield washer fluid they filled with in Houston froze, pretty sure I have a cracked windshield washer tank, only time will tell on that one. Second, I hadn't thought about it until someone asked, what oil did they put in the truck. Houston weather vs Colorado winter weather will probably require different oils. And lastly, maybe my half tank fill protocol may not be the best for transitioning from warm Texas weather to super freezing Colorado winter weather. Did I get all of the untreated diesel out of the tank, or do I have parafin build up in my system. The fuel additive will cure that. Unfortunately a g search on the problem revealed a history of Cp4 fuel pump problems in Ford, agghhhh! Wait, maybe my 2019 doesn't have the cp4 pump.

For others that are insane enough to leave warm weather climates for snow country please take a couple of steps to ensure that you don't freeze your trucks.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 01-20-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always fret about this on trips to the north. I typically start dosing with anti-gel two tanks before we head north. Then dose again at every fill-up and try my best to time my biggest fill-ups for places with cold weather (where they are hopefully running a winter blend). I was worried in Leadville a couple weeks ago when it was -6F overnight and I had the truck parked outside. We hit -16F for a while on 24 headed to Leadville as well. Luckily I didn't have any issues other than the washer fluid freezing solid (no damage). I bought three jugs of -20F washer fluid in CO to bring home with me. I will be loaded with that next year. I always have spare fuel filters and the stuff needed to install them just in case.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @D2Reid I am far from an expert, but my understanding is if the diesel fuel gells and is the truck is run, the wax in the fuel will precipitate out and coat the fuel filter(s). If sever enough, this will lead to a "low fuel pressure" warning. Once that happens, you have to replace the fuel filters. Just warming the fuel up or running more fuel through the filter will not dissolve the wax. This is what I have been told.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best you drop by the Ford dealer in Steamboat. You may have closed/compressed the fuel filter. Also wise to see what the code was. They can recommend what oil to run now too depending on how long your plan to stay in the cold weather
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently moved to Idaho where it has been 0F multiple times. I dont have a block heater, but I do use Rotella T6 synthetic oil which is rated for negative temps. I also always add Optilube XPD which has anti-gel additive in it. So far my truck hasn't had any issues with fuel gelling or starting up early in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All fuel stations in the frozen north add anti-gell to the fuel other wise they couldn't get any fuel out of the tanks for our trucks. You don't think diesel pumps sit all night in the wind and cold and you always get fuel out of them. I have never seen a heater in a fuel pump. Probably has something to do with fire. LOL
    As for windshield washer fluid ya there is a winter fluid and a summer one. And summer one will freeze.
    It is recommended on the owners manual that towing you need to use synthetic oil. That goes if you use bio-diesel as well.
    Ford recommends that you don't add anything to the fuel but cetane and they don't really recommend that. That is the only thing I add to my truck and I only get that from the dealer.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep Dallas the 6.7 needs synthetic 5W40 for towing and definitely in below freezing weather. I would get it to a nearby dealer for sure and get the code read and the fuel filters changed. You don't want to replace the fuel system in a 6.7, it's 10K plus...big bucks! Any good dealer in Colorado should be able to check it over and make sure you're ok, put the 5W40 Motorcraft oil in it, that's what I run and it's pretty highly rated if you research it.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was sitting on the fence about taking it into the dealer to get the fuel filter changed. The check engine light cleared about the third time I started it. So after reading all the replies i have decided to get a premature service done on the truck. Oil change and fuel filters. I won't mess with the window wash tank till I get to Park City, I'll have more time and the Ford Dealership is right next to the campground.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I was sitting on the fence about taking it into the dealer to get the fuel filter changed. The check engine light cleared about the third time I started it. So after reading all the replies i have decided to get a premature service done on the truck. Oil change and fuel filters. I won't mess with the window wash tank till I get to Park City, I'll have more time and the Ford Dealership is right next to the campground.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Dallas - our GMs have a fuel filter % left which can be displayed by pushing through the DIC button. I suspect the Ford has something similar.......curious - what does the fuel filter show for life left or used up ?

One would thing that any wax buildup has certainly dissolved by now (if it occurred in the first place) with the engine/exhaust/etc. heat radiated during your drive/idle time and warm down when stopped. Thus the fuel filter life used/remaining would not indicate any abnormal reading other than reduced by the "normal" fuel usage.......dirty fuel aside, of course.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas, what are you doing down in Steamboat Springs ?? ... you should be up in Saskatchewan or Manitoba getting your two remaining provinces in Southern Canada for your signature map ! I like looking at the maps members have in their signatures and yours is almost complete. It's only going down to +3F tonight in Saskatoon ! Do you have plans for Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Yukon ?
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast