Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running outside fridge while towing

Hello all,
    Trying to hook up an inverter to run my outside fridge while towing. Obviously I'd get it cold at home while plugged in. But before I leave I'd like to plug it in to an inverter and while my truck is towing and charging I could keep things cold.
    My major concern is the wiring in the RV. Behind the wall. I should say that there is a 12v outlet right next to the fridge, which I would love to utilize.
    Any thoughts any one done this. My search didn't pull up anything.
    Thanks so much!

Pic is the wiring behind the wall. I have tested this set up connected to a battery and it works, again just worried about draw on wiring. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200120_154545.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	24399

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Attachment 24404Attachment 24405
    Last edited by Wxbee320; 01-21-2020 at 11:19 AM.
    2017 F350 SRW CCSB
    2020 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wxbee320 View Post
    Hello all, Trying to hook up an inverter to run my outside fridge while towing. Obviously I'd get it cold at home while plugged in. But before I leave I'd like to plug it in to an inverter and while my truck is towing and charging I could keep things cold. My major concern is the wiring in the RV. Behind the wall. I should say that there is a 12v outlet right next to the fridge, which I would love to utilize. Any thoughts any one done this. My search didn't pull up anything. Thanks so much!

Pic is the wiring behind the wall. I have tested this set up connected to a battery and it works, again just worried about draw on wiring.
    Not an expert, but it would be irresponsible (and lawsuit-worthy, if not illegal) for Grand Design to install a 120-volt outlet that didn't support the 15 amps they usually provide and which is sufficient for your fridge.

Maybe someone here can eyeball the wire in your picture and give you even more confidence... I can't.

A greater concern would be about the load on your inverter and battery(ies)... running the fridge for long periods may tax them.
    Last edited by boyscout; 01-21-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be using the 12v system, inverting it to 120V. So I'm worried the rv 12v plug wiring isn't suitable for the draw of an inverter. Not sure how to test. My abilities are about maxed just making the inverter connect to the 12v outlet.

2017 F350 SRW CCSB
    2020 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To run an inverter that far from the battery would take a very big pair of wires. I don't know the wire size formula. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most 12V cigarette style outlets are rated 15A max.
    The wires in the RV for 12V are usually 14 Awg wire(wired for multiple loads) and the fuses for them are usually 15A.
    Say the outside frig uses 1 amp at 120VAC, then the DC amps would be about 10X that, so 10 amps DC.
    A kill a watt type of meter can show how much the frig uses.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Most 12V cigarette style outlets are rated 15A max.
    The wires in the RV for 12V are usually 14 Awg wire(wired for multiple loads) and the fuses for them are usually 15A.
    Say the outside frig uses 1 amp at 120VAC, then the DC amps would be about 10X that, so 10 amps DC.
    A kill a watt type of meter can show how much the frig uses.
    Thanks! I was looking at that at Harbor freight the other day. So what that tells me I just need to make sure the 12v wireing is capable?
    To make things worse it's 25deg in MI and my slide is frozen so I can't access the power center for the rv

2017 F350 SRW CCSB
    2020 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be using the 12v system, inverting it to 120V. So I'm worried the rv 12v plug wiring isn't suitable for the draw of an inverter. Not sure how to test. My abilities are about maxed just making the inverter connect to the 12v outlet.
    Sorry, I assumed you'd be doing what most people do: install an inverter of at least 1,500 watts capacity that supplies 120V to the trailer's 120V network.

Your outdoor fridge or its manual should indicate its power requirement in watts. It may be about 100 watts or so but be aware that its inrush (startup) power requirement could be higher so when it's working hard and starting frequently (they're not typically very well-insulated) it will demand more from your system - best to over-estimate.

Current = Watts / Volts so using the 100 watts guess above your fridge requires roughly one amp of 120V current, allow for two.

According to the calculator on the following page, two amps of 120V current from your inverter translates to about 22 amps of DC current.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tool...-inverter.html

According to the calculator on the following page carrying 22 amps of current a conservative ten feet from your battery to your inverter requires a minimum of 10-gauge wire. (There are many calculators around; I've picked this one at random but for this example its result matches the calculator I usually use.) It's a pretty good guess that you don't have 10ga wire in place already.

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html

Having given some assistance for your idea I hope you don't mind advice against it. Just one of the problems with it is that if someone ever uses that 120V socket for any higher-demand use - as they could reasonably be expected to do - then something may blow or let smoke out. There are good reasons that electrical codes typically require things to be built to handle any reasonable use of the systems they regulate.
    Last edited by boyscout; 01-22-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,
    Trying to hook up an inverter to run my outside fridge while towing. Obviously I'd get it cold at home while plugged in. But before I leave I'd like to plug it in to an inverter and while my truck is towing and charging I could keep things cold.
    My major concern is the wiring in the RV. Behind the wall. I should say that there is a 12v outlet right next to the fridge, which I would love to utilize.
    Any thoughts any one done this. My search didn't pull up anything.
    Thanks so much!

Pic is the wiring behind the wall. I have tested this set up connected to a battery and it works, again just worried about draw on wiring. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200120_154545.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	24399

Attachment 24404Attachment 24405
    This is exactly what I did with my 297RSTS. I placed the inverter right behind the distribution panel which allowed me to connect the inverter 12V to the 12V battery lines coming in at the distribution panel. I then put this switch after the output of the inverter https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004S5Y158/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so that the switch over between shore power and inverter was automatic. Wired the switch in line with the breaker that the fridge is on.

Works absolutely wonderful and all automatic.

This is the inverter that I used as well https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All my 120V wiring was also done in a junction box per electrical code.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks guys for the info. Yes, I agree it probably shouldn't be done, but having idle hands and waiting for the thaw! I was hoping if I reached I would at least start a discussion to see if it was possible and it it could be done safely! I'm thinking I could keep this system separate from the main 12v system
    This is all great info! Thanks again, if nothing more I'm learning some great stuff!

2017 F350 SRW CCSB
    2020 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    This is exactly what I did with my 297RSTS. I placed the inverter right behind the distribution panel which allowed me to connect the inverter 12V to the 12V battery lines coming in at the distribution panel. I then put this switch after the output of the inverter https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004S5Y158/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so that the switch over between shore power and inverter was automatic. Wired the switch in line with the breaker that the fridge is on.

Works absolutely wonderful and all automatic.

This is the inverter that I used as well https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All my 120V wiring was also done in a junction box per electrical code.

Rob
    I like the idea of including a Auto Transfer Switch to the circuits I want to power up with the inverter. In our 374TH-R; the living room recliners needs power just to recline, so 110 is needed if boondocking. I also want the circuit for the the tv and entertainment center powered up.
    Do you have pictures of your job? Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast