User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modification to bathroom cupboard behind shower head

We have a 2019 310GK SOLITUDE, and the cupboard in the bathroom to the right of the toilet is great for people that are over 6' tall, but not practical for my arm length. Also because of the depth it is difficult to make good use of the space.

Has anyone creating a drawer on slide out hardware, similar to the drawers in the kitchen. I believe it would have to custom since the width at about 6 1/2" is pretty narrow.

Thanks for any ideas.

Rich Clark
    2019 310GK
    2016 GMC 3500 DENALI SRW DURAMAX

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a short discussion of this topic (no pics) on the GD owners modifications FB group with a recommendation to look at the 310GK/310GK-R owners FB group for content on that topic. I've just requested membership in the second group and will look to see what's there when I'm approved.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am interested in mod ideas for the cupboard and looking at options I can come up with. I am considering how to install a shelf slide system, likely customized. I am not on FB.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I posted to Rich's initial inquiry on another forum. REpeating it here so you don't have to go look for it:

It is natural to think in terms of a slide-out mechanism for the cabinet. The problem is that the narrow width of the opening greatly limits the size of any slide-out you might build, so a lot of interior space is wasted. You can take the door frame off and cut away some of the finished lip, but I deemed that a rather risky venture and not worth the effort.

So, I took a different approach. As I was able to reach in about a third of the way without a step stool, I cut a piece of dark wood-grain shelving that sits inside the cabinet, long enough for me to reach. Using additional pieces of shelving, I hot-glued a back piece and sides to it. (I also ran strips of Gorilla tape over the hot glue beads for added strength.) Finally, I attached a handle to the front of the shelf. (Of course, all of this was done inside the cabinet since the outside lip makes it impossible to build outside and then install.)

Essentially, this makes a moveable three-sided box (without a top) that can be slid back and forth by pulling the handle. The box fits against the sides, back and bottom of the cabinet cavity, so almost no interior space is wasted. I can load up the box and push it back all the way into the cabinet, leaving space in the front for a few additional items (which of course would have to be removed to slide the box forward).

This is not a perfect solution, but it is easy to do and takes advantage of most of the available interior space. Sorry I don't have any pictures at the moment but I'm sure you get the idea.

-- Gary

2019 310GK-r
    2017 Ford F350 diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using Gary's initial idea, I built a two tiered box, from 1/2" plywood. All pieces are held together with 1/4" dowelling. The biggest challenge was drilling straight holes into the edge of the plywood. Fortunately the woodshop at Victoria Palms RV Park in Donna, TX, is fully equipped with the tools, and knowledgeable woodworkers, who provided invaluable guidance. I have attached photos of the finished box and the pieces unassembled. I used dowelling as I had to assemble the pieces inside the cupboard, and just in case I have to take it out.

Rich[ATTACH=CONFIG]25292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Individual pieces - IMG_1123.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	25294[ATTACH=CONFIG]25293
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Assembled box -IMG_1118.jpeg   From the back - IMG_1120.jpeg  
    2019 310GK
    2016 GMC 3500 DENALI SRW DURAMAX

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done!