User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No more info for owners from GD?

Not sure if this is new or not, but it has changed since I last spoke with GD earlier last year. I used to be able to call and give them my vin# and could get a rundown of warranty repairs/parts ordered, time in repair shop etc that the dealer was doing. I found this handy to call out the dealer who likes to drag their feet on repairs. The dealers would always blame GD but I was usually able to find out it was the dealers fault (no parts ordered, never submitted for warranty, never brought into the shop etc). I contacted GD today as I’m having continued problems with my dealer. GD advised they no longer give info on the process going on at the dealer. She stated it is illegal to give me any information on ordered parts if I didn’t order them. She was very helpful in addressing the issues and is trying to contact the dealer. Although I was always surprised they would give that info (basically selling out their dealers) I wish it wouldn’t have come to an end. She advised instead of giving out info GD is now working harder to become the liaison between dealers and customers. Only time will tell.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things seem to be changing in babysteps at GD, much of it seem to come from the legal end. Not sure if this is a Change coming from Winnebago or within GD.

It is sad that this level of owner communication has been cut off. Leaves me wondering if it a trend to become more dealercentric than consumer/ownercentric.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole RV industry is just backwards. I'm glad GD tries hard to make folks happy.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Things seem to be changing in babysteps at GD, much of it seem to come from the legal end. Not sure if this is a Change coming from Winnebago or within GD.

It is sad that this level of owner communication has been cut off. Leaves me wondering if it a trend to become more dealercentric than consumer/ownercentric.
    From a product perspective, I called the engineering department for Winnebago towables last week (questions about the Micro Minnie) and it appears they are rapidly adopting the GD construction/finishing techniques. I expect GD is losing some of their prior freedom as I don't get the sense that Winnebago is terribly owner centric. It took real effort to contact Winnebago (looked individual up on LinkedIn and then called the corporate switchboard), whereas it was easy to talk with folks from both GD and Rockwood.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Things seem to be changing in babysteps at GD, much of it seem to come from the legal end. Not sure if this is a Change coming from Winnebago or within GD. It is sad that this level of owner communication has been cut off. Leaves me wondering if it a trend to become more dealercentric than consumer/ownercentric.
    After our completely-appalling dealer service experience, if they go this route they ensure that we - and probably many others who have experienced or heard the horror stories - will not be buying Grand Design anymore. Or Keystone or some of the others that have already infamously gone this route.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to get the answers directly from the leadership - Gerry McCarthy in this case I suspect. I do not know Gerry well but there are several on this forum who do. Possibly there could be a conversation and results shared as appropriate. Endless speculation is of no value.

Yes, on the surface maybe this one situation seems not a big deal but the underlying change in approach may be telling a deeper story we can learn from. Knowing GDRV it is probably a good decision when considering all valued stakeholders.

Jack Web....."just the facts mam !"

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading on this forum I'm not sure I even want to buy an RV. None of the manufactures seem very good.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
    After reading on this forum I'm not sure I even want to buy an RV. None of the manufactures seem very good.
    You have to remember that for every negative/unhappy owner you see here there are thousands that are very happy; count me into the latter group. Have I had a couple of problems, yes and either the dealer or I corrected them. Have others had legitimate problems, of course and if the experience has been so bad for them that it turns them off of the products, then of course they will be bitter. Can the industry improve, yes of course. Can something be made so solid that nothing will break and be near perfect, sure, it will weigh a couple of tons more and cost twice as much so I'll stick with what I have. Have I swallowed the "cool aid", perhaps, but I am enjoying the hell out of may trailer and will continue to do so.

Sorry for the rant, but I think the happy owners are getting drowned out. When I joined this board a year before I bought my unit, it was primarily a site to help and inform rather rant and rave, i hope that it gets back to that someday.
    Last edited by Dopperud; 01-21-2020 at 07:11 PM.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I just read this thread and have a whole different experience. I dropped my 303 at the dealer about two weeks ago for a few minor issues prior to the start of the new season. We had sticky windows (2), the freezer doesn’t freeze cold enough, and a couple of other minor issues. All should be covered under warranty. PA has an annual safety inspection on trailers, so I had them schedule that for the same visit. I got a call last week, and they said that the unit had failed the inspection due to a greased brake/leaky seal.

As a long-time lurker/sometime poster to this forum, I was familiar with this issue, and let them know that I had heard of it, and it should also be covered under warranty, as we have only had the trailer since April. We’ve been in contact a couple of times during the two weeks, but I hadn’t heard anything since last week and thought that I would follow up this afternoon. Before calling the dealership, I called the number for Grand Design that is on the main website for Customer Service (574-825-9679), asked if warranty work had been requested/authorized, and if any parts had been ordered.

The rep asked for my VIN, then confirmed that the dealership had requested new windows for the trailer, and also requested authorization for the brake work. He said that everything was in order, and that the parts were ready for shipment as soon as the dealership provided a photo of the axle label so that they could verify the serial number.

The rep was very courteous and forthcoming with the information. No run-around or anything. Just what I have heard that I would get from Grand Design. My first experience, but it was a pleasure.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
    As "Dopperun" states, you hear more from the few negatives, than the many, many, positives. That's kind of to be expected unfortunately. People tend NOT to speak up when they are NOT having problems. Problems, when presented properly and in the right places, generally drive change for the better. Rants the occur at times are just a way to let off steam mostly - and hopefully. There will never be a perfect RV. Just as there will never be a perfect car, boat, house, and so on. We can only get the closest approximation we can afford, then deal with the issues that will inevitably arise, be they big or small. Boy - that's about the most philosophical I've ever been. Must be time for bed.....
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast