User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible front jack seal leaking on Solitude

Have noticed some hydraulic fluid on the leg and pad of left front jack on my '18 Solitude and think that it might be a bad seal. Is there a seal kit available for replacement and, if so, is a person of mediocre ability able to replace this? Jacks work fine and just don't want to be stuck in a remote campground and have it fail. TIA
    Ed & Charlotte W.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    2017 Chevy 3500HD 2wd DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a front jack with a leak this past summer. It was a bad O-ring in one of the ports that was plugged off. I got a new plug complete with O-ring at a supply store in Casper, WY. Stroke of luck for me as it catered to well riggers & such and had gobs of hydraulic stuff. In my area I could find the same type of supply store with a bit of looking.

I also had a leak in the rearmost PS jack. Like yours, it covered the foot with fluid. I couldn't determine where the leak was at the time but suspected a loose hose. I tightened them and had no issues. But I called GD and got a case number while the jack was under warranty 'just in case'. Wouldn't you know - it started leaking again a week ago. It looks like one of the bolts on the top of the jack is the source, I just can't be sure. So today I went to my dealer and gave him the case number and we're on the way to having the jack replaced.

So, my suggestions are: 1) call GD and see if the jack is under warranty (maybe from Lippert?); 2) call Lippert if GD says they don't cover it; 3) dry the jack up good with some brake cleaner (not on the piston, just the outside casing) and see if you can locate the leak. With luck it is just an O-ring and you can replace it.

Let us know how things work out.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry,
    Thanks for the info/help. Will be leaving for the valley (and warmer weather) here in Texas in a couple of days and will check it closely while there for the next few weeks. Plan on selling the 5th wheel and getting another motorhome in the next few months and didn't want to pass the problem along to the next owner.
    Ed & Charlotte W.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    2017 Chevy 3500HD 2wd DRW

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this exact problem on the same street side front jack, fluid around the top leaking down on the jack pad. I was a month out of the 1 year warranty and GD and my dealer covered a new jack no problem. They ordered the jack from GD and received it in two days and installed same day. Not sure if GD or Lippert paid for it but I was happy, needed trailer for a weeklong stay the following week. I would call your dealer before buying anything yourself, you too might get lucky.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucwinters View Post
    Have noticed some hydraulic fluid on the leg and pad of left front jack on my '18 Solitude and think that it might be a bad seal. Is there a seal kit available for replacement and, if so, is a person of mediocre ability able to replace this? Jacks work fine and just don't want to be stuck in a remote campground and have it fail. TIA
    I'll join with a few others in reporting that our blown jack leaked from the very top of it. It would be frustrating to chase down internal o-ring seals and then find that the top seal was the problem.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On one of the two front jacks is the solenoid valve for both front jacks. Leak could be from this , or it could be either the banjo bolt on top plate or oring seal under top plate leaking. Internal seals for piston won’t .. most likely cause fluid to accumulate on top of the cylinder ...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    On one of the two front jacks is the solenoid valve for both front jacks. Leak could be from this , or it could be either the banjo bolt on top plate or oring seal under top plate leaking. Internal seals for piston won’t .. most likely cause fluid to accumulate on top of the cylinder ...
    Yep they said mine was the O-ring seal under the top plate. They replaced the entire jack and all good now.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the replies / suggestions. I'm going to wipe the Jack down tomorrow from top to bottom and see if I can identify where the leak is over the next couple of weeks while here in the Texas Valley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucwinters View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies / suggestions. I'm going to wipe the Jack down tomorrow from top to bottom and see if I can identify where the leak is over the next couple of weeks while here in the Texas Valley.
    Clean the jacks. Then get some spray foot powder and spray the jacks from top to bottom. When it leaks you will see exactly where it is coming from.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73