User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Other years/builds may well be different. Sounds like they have improved the training procedure on newer trucks.
    That could be Chris. Mine was a 2019 model. I have a 2020 F-350 coming in a couple months. Hopefully the TPMS learn process is the same as the 2019.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all - I too am investigating the Ford TPMS and have a few questions. . . .

I read above about the need to use different valve stems for Solitudes. Is that something I need to have done at a tire shop? In other words, bring in the tires, new valve stems and have them install? Or is that something that attaches from outside the tire that I can do in my driveway?

Regarding the receiver, can that be mounted at the truck or does it need to be mounted closer to the tires and route wires forward and connect to the truck?

I think I'm going to pass on the Ford camera as I've heard it only works at slow speeds (as a back up camera). I prefer an observation camera that'll provide a rear view as I'm travelling. Please let me know if I'm not understanding this correctly.

Thanks, -Jeff
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post

I read above about the need to use different valve stems for Solitudes. Is that something I need to have done at a tire shop? In other words, bring in the tires, new valve stems and have them install? Or is that something that attaches from outside the tire that I can do in my driveway?

Regarding the receiver, can that be mounted at the truck or does it need to be mounted closer to the tires and route wires forward and connect to the truck?

I think I'm going to pass on the Ford camera as I've heard it only works at slow speeds (as a back up camera). I prefer an observation camera that'll provide a rear view as I'm travelling. Please let me know if I'm not understanding this correctly.

Thanks, -Jeff
    Yes you have to order the larger valve stems, Nichols Manufacturing sells them. The Solitudes have larger 16 inch rims with bigger valve stems, any tire shop should be able to break down the tires and install them. I went with the Ford trailer camera kit with my new F450 because it's plug and play now. The 12 pin connecter for it is in the bed with the 7 pin plug this year. It is only a backup camera but I'm fine with that. The camera displays right on your nav screen in the dash and the tire pressures display right in your center guage cluster, neat! Also the wireless repeater for the tire sensors can be mounted in the front compartment on you trailer, that's what I'm doing.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! I'm still not sold on the camera as I believe that's a wired system, right? Need to run a wire from the camera on the upper aft end of the trailer all the way to the truck?

My dealer is quoting me $400 for the TPMS system. I got $375 in Ford "points" from when I bought the truck so basically $25 for the TPMS seems like an OK deal to me.

Thanks!

PS: He quoted me $595 for the TPMS + camera package.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS: He quoted me $595 for the TPMS + camera package.
    That's a good price, mine was $ 660 cost on the factory invoice.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, -Jeff
    If you are using the Ford TPMS sensors, they mount inside the tire on the end of the valve stem. Ford supplies the valve stems BUT they are only for the smaller 0.465" hole. The only place I know of that has valve stems for the larger holes in the heavy wheels used on the Solitudes AND mounts the Ford style TPMS sensors is Nichols Manufacturing. I have them on my Solitude. There are other TPMS systems (Tire minder, etc.) that the TPMS sensors just screw onto the end of the valve stem in place of the valve cap, but they need there own, separate display (pros and cons to that). Most large tire shops and all heavy truck shop that deal with tires will have valve stems for the larger hole in the Solitude wheels, but that will not mount the Ford TPMS sensor. Lots of little parts to the puzzle.

As for the receiver, You can try mounting it (temporarily use ty-wraps) to the rear bumper and see if it works. I have my receiver mounted near the axles of the trailer and it works great. Never had any problems. It is not hard to fish the wires under the front overhang cover. There have been a number of discussions on the procedure, both here and on YouTube.

Good luck

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 03-07-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @kim_e83 One other thing I found is to "train" the trailer TPMS system (so it knows which tire is in which position on the trailer) you have to put the truck into "learn mode" for the trailer and then let air out of the trailer tires. A lot of air! So much that I had the truck time out before I could complete the training and had to start over many times, pumping up the trailer tires each time. Took me about 2 hours the first time. I purchased a Ford TPMS-19 test/trigger device that causes the TPMS sensor to start transmitting (the same thing letting air out of the tire does). I think they are about $35 on Amazon. Takes me less than 5 mins to retrain my tires whenever I rotate them.

Chris
    @CoChris - How much air did you have to let out? I've tried setting up my trailer TPMS sensors about ten times on my 2020 F-350 with no success. It was a piece of cake on my 2019 F-350. Soooo frustrating! I've let as much as 35lbs of air out of the tires. After the setup fails, it takes 15 minutes to pump each of the tires back up with my little Viair pump.

Also, can you share a link to the test/trigger device you bought on Amazon?

Thanks!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    @CoChris - How much air did you have to let out? I've tried setting up my trailer TPMS sensors about ten times on my 2020 F-350 with no success. It was a piece of cake on my 2019 F-350. Soooo frustrating! I've let as much as 35lbs of air out of the tires. After the setup fails, it takes 15 minutes to pump each of the tires back up with my little Viair pump.

Also, can you share a link to the test/trigger device you bought on Amazon?

Thanks!
    I was not kidding about taking me 2 hours. I was letting between 30 and 50 PSI out (110 PSI down to 60~80 PSI) to get it to trigger. So your 35 PSI sounds similar to my experience.

I just googled "Ford TPMS-19" and came up with a bunch of hits.

There are a number of different manufactures (copies?). I do not know if they all work the same or if "you get what you pay for". I do not see the one I purchased on Amazon any more. Here is one that has good ratings with a larger (532) number of replies and is a reasonable price ($14.95) Amazon prime. There are others for less money (I see $11.50~$12) and good ratings, but far fewer replies. Search "Ford TPMS19" or "Ford 8C2Z-1A203-A". With all of the counterfeits out there, I can not give a specific recommendation. The Official ones from Ford run $50~$80 and personally, I would try one off Amazon first.

Good luck
    Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was not kidding about taking me 2 hours. I was letting between 30 and 50 PSI out (110 PSI down to 60~80 PSI) to get it to trigger. So your 35 PSI sounds similar to my experience. I just googled "Ford TPMS-19" and came up with a bunch of hits.
    Thanks for the reply Chris

I think I've spent two hours on it - so far. It literally took 5 minutes with my 2019 F-350.

I did look on Amazon and found a ton of TPMS tools but they were all much less expensive than the one you mentioned initially so I was a little suspect as to whether or not they would work.

I called the Ford dealership and they said they could reprogram the trailer tires. I asked if I could bring the RV in an hour. Sure, bring it in! So I went to the RV storage lot (30 miles) and drove back to the Ford dealership with the RV (another 30 miles). When I got there I was told the guy that does the trailer TPMS programming doesn't work on weekends. Yeah. Not happy. So, I drove the RV back to storage then turned around and drove back home. So that was 2 hours of wasted time on top of the two hours I wasted trying to get the stupid truck to recognize the sensors. I was told the tire TPMS guy would be back Monday morning so we'll try again then. In the mean time, I'll order my own tool so I don't have to deal with idiots.
    Last edited by bertschb; 05-09-2020 at 10:04 PM.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Thanks for the reply Chris

I think I've spent two hours on it - so far. It literally took 5 minutes with my 2019 F-350.

I did look on Amazon and found a ton of TPMS tools but they were all much less expensive than the one you mentioned initially so I was a little suspect as to whether or not they would work.

I called the Ford dealership and they said they could reprogram the trailer tires. I asked if I could bring the RV in an hour. Sure, bring it in! So I went to the RV storage lot (30 miles) and drove back to the Ford dealership with the RV (another 30 miles). When I got there I was told the guy that does the trailer TPMS programming doesn't work on weekends. Yeah. Not happy. So, I drove the RV back to storage then turned around and drove back home. So that was 2 hours of wasted time on top of the two hours I wasted trying to get the stupid truck to recognize the sensors. I was told the tire TPMS guy would be back Monday morning so we'll try again then. In the mean time, I'll order my own tool so I don't have to deal with idiots.
    It is odd how the different trucks (or is it the different TPMS sensors) react differently.

And I understand your frustration with the Ford dealership. It does not take a PhD to out the truck in learn mode, put the trigger near the TPMS sensor and push the single button (really, that is all there is to it).

I find that Amazon is getting more hit and miss by the day. Prices vary all over, change from day to day and I have heard of more and more counterfeit products. I think it is still a good source for things, but you have to go into knowing what you are after (which can be difficult at times).

I hope you get it working easily.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast