User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoKat View Post
    Not full-time yet, our plan is to sell the house and buy a lot in a RV park or find property that will allow living in RV full-time to call home. We would travel also. The cost savings over trying to keep up a home are great and we have a permanent address. We are still deciding where to own, taxes and building codes will be the decider.
    The cost difference is a myth, for the most part. Our monthly costs are about the same as when we were in a three-bedroom stix 'n brix with a yard and double garage. We also have a "permanent address" via the Escapees RV Club mail service.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoKat View Post
    Not full-time yet, our plan is to sell the house and buy a lot in a RV park or find property that will allow living in RV full-time to call home. We would travel also. The cost savings over trying to keep up a home are great and we have a permanent address. We are still deciding where to own, taxes and building codes will be the decider.
    A wiser man than I once told me that at some point you are going to want a home for you later years; something without steps. It pretty much had nothing to do with a budget. It was more about enjoying your later years when you stop "RVing". Having lived 12 years in a half full time, half part time, half snow bird resort (not a mobil home park) I can say he was right. (lotta' halves in this place!)

I see it monthly - folks giving up RVing, moving into a sticks-and-brick house. Folks who break hips, legs, arms, whatever and can't get up and down steps and need ramps. Those that can't afford or don't want to travel any longer moving into houses. And those who can't afford anything else so they park their RV, build a ramp and live out their "golden years"; as their RV deteriorates around them.

Plan accordingly.

oh - that advice did away with any hesitation to build rather than live in an RV so we built a house (no steps) in the resort and travel whenever and for however long always returning home (to a safer place than an RV during inclement weather) and 'getting out of dodge' in the RV when the weather is getting really bad (think hurricanes).
    Last edited by traveldawg; 07-10-2020 at 05:38 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never considered a budget when we went full time. We just went on living life. I see those that are trying to work it out as cheaper than living sticks and bricks and see them eventually end up in a sticks and bricks with a decaying rv next to it because they want to have everything. we fully embrace being gypsies. no Place like RV is our motto, we have 3 income sources and that is the key.Our plans are to travel another 5 years and the park it on some land somewhere in the west and watch sunsets from then on. But if you have to own a Sticks and bricks, and full time RV, be prepared to budget for a home and a RV plus places to park the RV, AND Maintenance AND insurance ON a house, an RV and a BIG diesel truck.
    The day we cut the strings to teh sticks and bricks a load came off our shoulders as we no longer had to worry or support that.
    2019 375 RES Linen
    KI6KER General
    Home Base Phoenix

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a timely thread. We just went fulltime as of July 4. Just as an FYI on stix and brix, we live in south central Texas. Our home is/was 1.5 acres, 2700 sq ft 4 brms, 3 bath, our mortgage and utilities / month was $1850 / month. Thats mortgage, property taxes, insurance, electric, water, trash.

The cost for our camp site in a long term retired gated camp ground is $525 plus electric. Now that includes water, sewer, trash, cable TV access and access to a laundry. Our electric is running approx $100 / month in this 100 degree heat running both AC units and not skimping on power usage. So call it $625 / month. Now throw in truck insurance and RV insurance, which I can't recall right now, and which we would have had anyhow, but if factored in would drive our cost up to approx $800-850 per month. Now the trucks paid off, but we still have an RV payment for now. Yup we also have truck diesel costs but that depends on how much we drive. We don't plan on moving for the next month.
    So increase our costs to approx $1300 / month. Now we have not had any truck repairs or RV repairs as yet. But throw in some misc cost like propane and estimate at around $1400 / month. So we are still a lot lower from the $1850 we were paying for the S and B. However now factor in the county keeps driving up our property taxes faster than the truck and RV insurance, and we have quite extensive insurance and coverage on the rig.

So in the end, Rob @Second Chance is about right, it's close to a wash depending on how you want to live, where you stay, how much you move and travel. But how much value do you put on freedom to go anywhere you want and not worry about a S and Brix? So far our short fulltime experience has been great but is a little bit of an eye opener.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought...

When we are traveling we spend our $$$'s on fuel and RV spots. When we sit for a period I spend our $$$'s on projects. And I always need another tool.

Then when my buddy @carnold comes around we see who can out spend each other at Home Depot.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When calculating expenses for full timing something I think that should be counted that i don't see listed from people is money put away to cover repairs or purchase of new truck and trailer. These expenses will happen. Truck and trailer are always getting older and they do not last forever. Some money should be put away every month toward these circumstances. Then when it comes time it's not a big deal.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12