User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: sticky brakes

scotty

sticky brakes

Hi all
    Just got back from our 4th 200 mile shakedown trip around the block by way of the Oregon coast with our new Solitude 379 FL and it has
    preformed flawlessly until about 10 miles from home when the drivers side of the trailers front brake started sticking and smoking the tires.
    I have not looked at it yet and was wondering if this is something i can fix my self. I would rather not have to make the 60 mile trip to the
    dealer if it is just an adjuster nut that can be turned in a bit. Also does anyone know if the brakes are self adjusting and will set themselves by just
    backing up and applying the brake. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Scotty

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Scotty - I believe the brakes on the Solitudes are the same as the Reflections in that they are NOT self adjusting. They are pretty simple to adjust though. Here's a video from Lippert on how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih1pLKHELIs

But I'd be suspicious that it's not an adjustment issue. It could be you have self adjusting brakes, and they self adjusted a little too tightly. It could also be that you have debris in the brake drum and it's causing an issue. Finally, I'd recheck you brake controller to make sure the adjustment is correct.

scotty
    thanks Jim for the web page very helpful.
    I did check the controller and could feel the difference on all the other brake when turned down
    but the problem one still would lockup i will also check for debris that could happen, we did go down some gravel
    roads on our trip.

thank you

Steve and Lynne
    Hello Scotty!
    Want to help- MANY years of auto/truck/trailer experience, way back when 4 wheel drum brakes were standard (same as our fifth wheels). Jack up and jackstand the one wheel, pull tire. Pull center cap, you will see a cotter pin through center spindle. Remove it, unthread nut, jostle hub and drum assembly but be sure to catch the washer and bearing. Slide drum off slowly and evenly. Now- is the seal on the inner hub keeping grease in the bearing or is it all over the brake shoes? If not, good! (I had all 4 seals leaking a bunch of grease). Look to see if all the springs and hardware look in the proper place. If you are not sure, disassemble the other wheel on that side (after jacking up and installing a jackstand). There should be Youtube videos. Have new cotter pins available, tighten nut very snug, repeat, and back off as little as possible so nut is loose by less than 1/6 of a turn. This may motivate you to seek professional tech help. I am very hands on, want to minimize waiting time and do have confidence in my thoroughness. You may be able to use your leveling system to raise axles, just use jackstands for safety, recommend under leaf spring and axle junction.

Steve and Lynne
    If you tackle it yourself, get cotter pins before disassembly. 1/8" x 1-1/2" work OK, a little small.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Reflection had leaking grease seals also. I replaced all the seals and brakes. When I replaced the brakes, I installed complete assemblies (backing plate, magnets, shoes) with self adjusting brakes. Self adjusting brakes make a world of difference in stopping power. Here's a picture of one of my leaking seals. You can see grease on the inside of the hub in this picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3451.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	1539

A tell-tale that I had leaking seals was spots of grease on the inside of the rims.

scotty
    Thanks guys
    I am also a hands on guy and have done electric brake many times on my snowmobile trailers, just did not know if there was something new with this
    new trailer. I will get started on it this weekend and will checkout everything seals, mag, shoes. I am also going to change too self adjusting brakes if they
    are not. i agree with Jim i think self adjusting brakes are better and have better stopping power. I had them on our Montana and never had one problem with
    them.

thanks guys for all your input

Steve and Lynne
    I am glad you are hands on and experienced. I had Jim's grease problem times four! The self-adjusting idea is going to happen fairly soon for me too. We can't have too much braking- with a proper controller of course. Please let us know your findings.

scotty
    Hay guys
    seems just a simple adjustment is all it took, everything seem to be working good the brakes look brand new and i will
    continue to use them until it is time for new ones or if i have problems down the road. I will be doing self adjusting ones
    in the future but for know i will run the current ones. The seals and bearings all look new and seem to be doing there job
    as far as i could tell just the one brake was setup to close it only took 3 turns to lock up the brake so i adjusted them
    all down to 6 and re set the gain on the controller a little less. I live on a very steep 4 mile down hill so trying them out was easy
    and they worked like they should.
    thanks for all your input, that is one of the thing that is so cool about this forum there are so many knowledgeable people willing
    to help.