User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 310gk - bathroom cupboard - modification

I am looking for modifications to the cupboard in the bathroom above the toilet. It might work for people that are over 6' tall, but for my height I can reach only half way back.

It would be good to have a rack on sliding hardware that is about 15 high and 30" long. Looking for ideas!

Rich
    2019 310GK
    2016 GMC 3500 DENALI SRW DURAMAX

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich, It is natural to think in terms of a slide-out mechanism for the cabinet. The problem is that the narrow width of the opening greatly limits the size of any slide-out you might build, so a lot of interior space is wasted. You can take the door frame off and cut away some of the finished lip, but I deemed that a rather risky venture and not worth the effort.

So, I took a different approach. As I was able to reach in about a third of the way without a step stool, I cut a piece of dark wood-grain shelving that sits inside the cabinet, long enough for me to reach. Using additional pieces of shelving, I hot-glued a back piece and sides to it. (I also ran strips of Gorilla tape over the hot glue beads for added strength.) Finally, I attached a handle to the front of the shelf. (Of course, all of this was done inside the cabinet since the outside lip makes it impossible to build outside and then install.)

Essentially, this makes a moveable three-sided box (without a top) that can be slid back and forth by pulling the handle. The box fits against the sides, back and bottom of the cabinet cavity, so almost no interior space is wasted. I can load up the box and push it back all the way into the cabinet, leaving space in the front for a few additional items (which of course would have to be removed to slide the box forward).

This is not a perfect solution, but it is easy to do and takes advantage of most of the available interior space. Sorry I don't have any pictures at the moment but I'm sure you get the idea.

-- Gary

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bathroom cupboard

Gary

That sounds like a great idea. Did you attach the shelf/box half way up the height so that items could be stored in the bottom, or it the shelf/box on the floor of the cupboard?
    To avoid having to assemble/glue inside the cupboard, whether pins/dowelling could be inset into the floor, with holes drilled in the bottom of the back and sides. Then the back and sides could be set onto the dowelling in the cupboard? Not sure if I am capable of that level of intricacy, but might be worth a try. Did you attach the handle with just a bracket of some kind?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by gahatt View Post
    Rich, It is natural to think in terms of a slide-out mechanism for the cabinet. The problem is that the narrow width of the opening greatly limits the size of any slide-out you might build, so a lot of interior space is wasted. You can take the door frame off and cut away some of the finished lip, but I deemed that a rather risky venture and not worth the effort.

So, I took a different approach. As I was able to reach in about a third of the way without a step stool, I cut a piece of dark wood-grain shelving that sits inside the cabinet, long enough for me to reach. Using additional pieces of shelving, I hot-glued a back piece and sides to it. (I also ran strips of Gorilla tape over the hot glue beads for added strength.) Finally, I attached a handle to the front of the shelf. (Of course, all of this was done inside the cabinet since the outside lip makes it impossible to build outside and then install.)

Essentially, this makes a moveable three-sided box (without a top) that can be slid back and forth by pulling the handle. The box fits against the sides, back and bottom of the cabinet cavity, so almost no interior space is wasted. I can load up the box and push it back all the way into the cabinet, leaving space in the front for a few additional items (which of course would have to be removed to slide the box forward).

This is not a perfect solution, but it is easy to do and takes advantage of most of the available interior space. Sorry I don't have any pictures at the moment but I'm sure you get the idea.

-- Gary
    2019 310GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich,
    My shelf slides on the actual floor of the cabinet cavity. I placed two large round furniture sliders underneath the shelf for easier sliding. The back and side pieces are about 12 - 14 inches high; for rolls of paper towells, stacks of toilet paper, etc., there was no reason to build the sides to the full height of the cabinet. Depending on what you intend to store, build the sides as high as necessary.

I see no reason not to build the box with dowels and then assemble inside. Good idea if you have the means to do that. I attached a basic cabinet handle to the sliding shelf, pointing up, prior to insertion.

-- Gary
    Last edited by gahatt; 01-22-2020 at 03:27 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary
    We have a fully equipped wood shop here at Victoria Palms, Donna, TX, with lots of knowledgeable instructors, who could guide me. I guess I could start with one level and see how that goes and then add a level if more storage was required.

Thanks for the initial suggestion.

Rich
    2019 310GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary
    Can you share what type of wood you used and the thickness? Solid wood or plywood?

Thanks

Rich
    2019 310GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Composite pre-finished shelving from Home Depot.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary

Thanks.
    Rich
    2019 310GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich,

I am attaching a couple of photos of how I addressed this same issue. I can provide additional information if you are interested.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2434.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	24561

Tom
    Annie & Tom - Sugar Land, TX
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie & Tom View Post
    Rich,

I am attaching a couple of photos of how I addressed this same issue. I can provide additional information if you are interested.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2434.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	24561

Tom
    Looks good. What a great idea. Did you make the sliders or purchase them? We ordered something like that on line when we turned a base cabinet into a printer cabinet in our home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast