User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Virginia Camper

Inspection Checklist...Anyone Have a Good One to Share?

Hello Everyone,

I am going to order our 369RL this Friday. The last time we bought a new trailer was 5.5 years ago. It was a pull behind. When I ordered the trailer, I handed the dealer a thorough checklist and said these are the items I will check when it arrives and I take delivery. Does anyone have a checklist they put together for a Grand Design that you can share? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on getting a 369. It is one AWESOME RV. After owning one for almost 2 years and running into a few issues, all I can offer is for you to try and get a owners manual in advance and read it to get familiar with the systems and how they SHOULD operate. Once you know that, have the person doing the PDI demo EVERY system. Without knowing what type of camping you will be doing, it's difficult to suggest what optional equipment you might want to order. There are two things I would definitely make sure you have. Heat pump and dual A/Cs. The heat pump is a fairly inexpensive option if you order the unit from the factory. I would also ask for installation of a second battery and vent covers (you might be able to get the dealer to throw them in as incentive to make the sale). Other than that, a eye for detail of fit, finish and maybe spending a few nights in a campground near the dealer would be a great idea if possible. If you see something that just doesn't look right, don't let the dealer use the "oh, they all look like that" excuse. If it doesn't LOOK right, it usually isn't.

Best of luck and welcome to the GD family
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Virginia Camper
    Thanks Andy & Julie,
    Will be getting the heat put and dual ACs. Also getting pullout couch with bed, 18 cu ft stainless refrig, bedroom tv, slide out awning toppers and 6 point leveling system. Won't need the extra battery. We always have power hook ups where we go. I will ask for the operators manuals upfront since we are putting 10% down. They are now offering a Goodyear tire upgrade, but it is REALLY expensive...like well over $1000. We will only pull this trailer for one trip a year (120 miles one way) and back and forth for inspections and nitrogen. So I will upgrade on my own in 3 years or so. I wish they would just put good tires on it from the start. We bought a piece of property at a nice campground so we camp there most of the time. Just out of curiosity, do you have a short bed and what type of hitch do you have? I started a thread under Solitude called short bed blues talking about hitches. Thanks for the info.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Camper View Post
    Thanks Andy & Julie,
    They are now offering a Goodyear tire upgrade, but it is REALLY expensive...like well over $1000.
    I think that they have been offering the Goodyear G614 as a option on the Solitudes and Momentums for a while based on feedback GD got from this forum. It seems expensive but as the Goodyears cost around $350 per tire, maybe not. If the camper is more or less set up on a permanent site for 3 years, I wouldn't pay for that upgrade now...better to wait until you plan on towing regularly.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Camper View Post
    Thanks Andy & Julie,
    Will be getting the heat put and dual ACs. Also getting pullout couch with bed, 18 cu ft stainless refrig, bedroom tv, slide out awning toppers and 6 point leveling system. Won't need the extra battery. We always have power hook ups where we go. I will ask for the operators manuals upfront since we are putting 10% down. They are now offering a Goodyear tire upgrade, but it is REALLY expensive...like well over $1000. We will only pull this trailer for one trip a year (120 miles one way) and back and forth for inspections and nitrogen. So I will upgrade on my own in 3 years or so. I wish they would just put good tires on it from the start. We bought a piece of property at a nice campground so we camp there most of the time. Just out of curiosity, do you have a short bed and what type of hitch do you have? I started a thread under Solitude called short bed blues talking about hitches. Thanks for the info.
    You're welcome.
    I still recommend a second battery on the outside chance that the power goes out. There are too many systems that are dependent on good battery voltage in order to work properly. How about the convection microwave? What would the nitrogen be for?

My Ford is a short bed with a 16k Husky slider hitch. I don't really need the slider but it was what I used on our last rig and couldn't justify buying a new hitch when we got the Solitude. I did have to lower the hitch head to it's lowest setting and I still run about 1 inch nose high, but I can live with that.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Virginia Camper
    Andy & Julie,
    Skipping the convection oven because we only warm plates and boil water in the microwave. We don't camp in the winter and we normally barbecue most of our food. Since we only go on one big camping trip a year (3 weeks to VA Beach) I drive the RV down to Costco (9 miles down the road) a few times a year to put nitrogen in the tires. I think it is good to get all the moving parts moving a few times a year.

I have the F350 short bed also and I am getting the B&W Companion OEM hitch for my prep package. The best thing about this hitch is it only weighs 142 lbs and comes apart into 2 equal weight parts. So I can carry it myself and keep it in the storage compartment of the RV when not using it. The only drawback is that it only allows for a 75 - 77 degree turn. But, hey, that should be plenty. We don't go anywhere where we back into a tight place...plus the hitch is less than $1000. Glad to hear you don't need the slider.

Virginia Camper
    Hey Folks, Here is a checklist I will be using to pick up my RV. I cannot take credit for it. I got it off a webpage. I copy and pasted the checklist from the webpage and then modified it a little to make it look better in a PDF. 99.9% of this is the way it was off the webpage. I might add or delete some more stuff on it before I use it. Hopefully this will help someone. If you Google "RV fifth wheel inspection checklist" you will find the page I got this from..."Doug's Checklist Page". He says on the webpage to help yourself to using them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Owners Walkthrough PDI Checklist.pdf  

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Idea

This PDI check list should be listed on a 'Sticky' and left posted. This is a great list and would help a lot of people when they pick up their rig.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Virginia Camper
    Dean and Cindy,
    I have only been on the site for a few months so I am not aware of how to do that. Have at it if you like.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I should have asked the site moderator to make this a sticky. This is a great PDF and should be shared. Thanks for posting it!
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel