User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight question

New 2020 solitude 382wb. The sticker on the rig says max of 2250 pounds of cargo. I am not a full timer but we use quite a bit and have our own everything for the rig. Counting the fact that a full tank of water is about 860 pounds. This isnt very much capacity. How much do you all typically pack into your rig? And with such a small amount, dont you think they should have just placed a third axle?
    Jeff & Rachel
    2020 Solitude 382 wb
    2020 F-350 SRW
    Pueblo West Colorado

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I weighed everything we added to our 28BH and it came out at around 630-lbs. I'd say we are on the lighter end of the spectrum as we definitely have not filled or even used every cabinet. We don't even use the rear "garage" (huge storage space under the lower bunk). I personally think 1300-lbs for gear is probably okay if you aren't full-timing, but that is just my experience.

I can't speak to the 382wb but as someone who is now shopping for a small travel trailer, there are quite a few single-axle trailers out there that desperately need a second axle. I can't believe how close some of the manufacturers will run to the axle and tire limits.
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 01-23-2020 at 05:44 AM.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We(she) load too much stuff when we take our 2-3 week trips , and have a dishwasher and combo w/d. Usually totals about 1300 lbs ,which is roughly 1/2 of our available. If we haul water it’s no more than 15 gallons or so for an additional 120..
    If loaded to GVWR , assuming 20% pin weight , you axles will be right at max. Actual pin will probably be higher. Our 310 has the same axle set up but is 1800 lbs. less gross.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I weighed everything we added to our 28BH and it came out at around 630-lbs. I'd say we are on the lighter end of the spectrum as we definitely have not filled or even used every cabinet. We don't even use the rear "garage" (huge storage space under the lower bunk). I personally think 1300-lbs for gear is probably okay if you aren't full-timing, but that is just my experience.

I can't speak to the 382wb but as someone who is now shopping for a small travel trailer, there are quite a few single-axle trailers out there that desperately need a second axle. I can't believe how close some of the manufacturers will run to the axle and tire limits.
    Someone here has claimed that many trailer manufacturers aim to keep the GVWR low so that less-substantial vehicles can legally tow their products. If they built many of their trailers more robustly for higher cargo capacity then fewer people would have the vehicles necessary to tow them.

Since they're keeping GVWR low, they can also use less-robust and less-expensive parts for axles, wheels, etc., which is in the manufacturers' favor too.

Just the messenger on this, but it sounds plausible.

We've lived in our 310GK for up to several months at a time and been under its cargo capacity even when leaving a site with full tanks. Tools are in the truck, so the truck is very close to its capacity, and we don't have a washer/dryer. However we're apparently without many things in the other stuff that people worried about cargo capacity carry with them. Whatever those are, we don't miss them.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Someone here has claimed that many trailer manufacturers aim to keep the GVWR low so that less-substantial vehicles can legally tow their products. If they built many of their trailers more robustly for higher cargo capacity then fewer people would have the vehicles necessary to tow them.

Since they're keeping GVWR low, they can also use less-robust and less-expensive parts for axles, wheels, etc., which is in the manufacturers' favor too.
    That is definitely what most of them are doing, no question about it.

I wanted to clarify here as well that my 630-lbs of gear included my toolbox, my air compressor, and a tank for the air compressor that I use when winterizing (all of them are carried in the trailer to keep me well under GVWR for the truck). I generally only carry my firewood in the back of the truck.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just load it the way you plan on traveling and weigh it? Then you'll know for sure where you are weight wise. Then you can always redistribute some of the weight if needed, or start eliminating the "nice to have" stuff vr the "must have" stuff. As an aside, we travel relatively light. We have enough kitchen stuff to cook whatever we want, but don't carry any extra stuff we would seldom use. Food wise, we carry what we need for our planned menu + munchies, but again, no real extra stuff. There are always grocery stores at your destination. Clothes wise, we're not fashionista's, we bring what we plan to wear, and use the laundry facilities as needed. Just food for thought.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As full-timers, we're usually at 2,000 lbs. cargo (including 70 gallons of fresh water but with empty waste tanks). It's not too hard to stay under the CCC/GVWR of the RV. Just have to manage it - and the scales are your friend.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my rig is suppose to be 10,600 empty. I never actually weighed it empty. I did weigh it loaded for a 10 day trip and was at 14,200. Just over our 13,995 gross weight. And that was without water. Either the empty weight is way off or we pack way too much stuff!
    There is a lot of storage in our trailer and there is still room for more stuff. I too think some of these larger trailer need more, or heavier axles. I remember when we were looking and three are trailers out there that have cargo capacity under 1000 lbs. I have no idea how anyone manages that little stuff for long trips.
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Packed for a 3 week trip our S-Class Solitude was only 400# under its GVWR of 16800, with tanks maybe 1/3 full. That is with good set of tools, usual camping stuff, spare 30# propane tanks (40#ers installed), Onan Generator, Splendide Washer and Dryer. I am in the process of adding solar now and soon Lithium batteries and an inverter also. Will put us right at or over GVWR for the trailer which had about a 3000# CCC (pre generator and w/d). Pin weight was 4060# (albeit, with a GooseBox which takes most of the 5th wheel hitch weight and puts it on the trailer).

I do plan to upgrade the axles, springs, wheels/tires, brakes with a kit from GD as soon as they finalize what their offering will be. Goal will be to get the trailer "restickered" at 18k GVWR if possible, if not, I will have it configured the same as the new trailers that are stickered that high.

So ya.....that CCC goes fast at times. The trailers with the raised rear and the 2nd pass through with that awesome cargo tray seem to have the worst CCC ironically. Fortunately they should be orderable with the above mentioned heavy duty package.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Goal will be to get the trailer "restickered" at 18k GVWR if possible...
    Make sure you let us know if you manage to get new stickers from GD. That would be really nice.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast