User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Kitchen Island Shades LED Replacment

Does anyone know how to remove the glass shade on the lamp fixture over the kitchen island? One of my lights went out and when I tried to remove the bulb to replace it, the bulb broke off of the bulbs base Now I am afraid to twist or pull anything the wrong way. I plan on replacing both of these lights with LED's.

Thanks
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana
    2014 Grand Designs Reflection 293RES #0477
    2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know the answer but would like to know what LED's you get as we would like to get more light down on to island

Tony
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer your direct question . . . I have never removed the glass shade . . . but I did fiddle around in there with needle nose pliers to get a broken bulb base out. These bulbs are twin contact "push in and twist" but they catch on the contact plate and are difficult to twist. Ours burned out regularly . . . as I have heard from others. The original bulbs are 1076 base. We replaced these with Arcon #50492 LED bulbs that have the same "soft white" color as the original incandescent bulbs, to keep with the lighting color in the rest of the rig. I presume there are bright white LED versions as well. I had to "fiddle" with these to get them in (the fault of the sockets, not the bulbs) but they have been working fine for some time now.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cate&Rob, That answers part of my question and also what I need for the replacement LED's. I still would like to know how to take the shades off, just in case, if anyone knows.

Thanks again!

PS: Love the pic of your animals, but where do you sit
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to the bulbs we used for the island lights. These particular ones are a warm white but they sent us cool white by mistake (slight blue tint) which looks kinda neet but doesn't match the rest of the lighting. If you use a warm white (more reddish tint), it will match.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WRT conversion to LED lights . . .

I have been trying to decipher all the web info on incandescent to LED lumens/light temperature/brightness/etc . . . and finally decided that I was going to have to buy some samples and just try this for myself. The most used bulbs in the Reflection 303 are 921 wedge base. There are over 30 of them. So I purchased two Arcon #50567 "Bright White" and two Arcon #50564 "Soft White" bulbs. Interesting that both are rated at 105 Lumens. The soft white ones are just slightly brighter but of the same color as the original incandescent bulbs. The bright white ones do appear to give off a little more light (although the lumens rating would suggest not) but are definitely a harsher blue/white light. My initial thought was to use the bright white in the ceiling lights and the soft white in the various fixtures, but after various back and forth comparisons, the little bit extra light from the bright white bulbs does not outweigh having two different colors of lighting. We have decided to go with soft white LED bulbs everywhere. I have not yet tried LED replacements for the 1139 bulbs in the reading lights, but will likely go with soft white for these too. With all of these bulbs being $10 +/- this is not an inexpensive conversion, but the reduction in power consumed and heat produced, plus the longevity . . . will make this worth it.

BTW, to Gary's comment on the animals in our picture . . . there was discussion a while back about the two legged kids taking over the recliners and I posted this pic to show that we have the same problem with our four legged ones. I see by your picture that you have a similar affliction . . . Border Collie or Australian Shepherd ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    WRT conversion to LED lights . . .

I have been trying to decipher all the web info on incandescent to LED lumens/light temperature/brightness/etc . . . and finally decided that I was going to have to buy some samples and just try this for myself. The most used bulbs in the Reflection 303 are 921 wedge base. There are over 30 of them. So I purchased two Arcon #50567 "Bright White" and two Arcon #50564 "Soft White" bulbs. Interesting that both are rated at 105 Lumens. The soft white ones are just slightly brighter but of the same color as the original incandescent bulbs. The bright white ones do appear to give off a little more light (although the lumens rating would suggest not) but are definitely a harsher blue/white light. My initial thought was to use the bright white in the ceiling lights and the soft white in the various fixtures, but after various back and forth comparisons, the little bit extra light from the bright white bulbs does not outweigh having two different colors of lighting. We have decided to go with soft white LED bulbs everywhere. I have not yet tried LED replacements for the 1139 bulbs in the reading lights, but will likely go with soft white for these too. With all of these bulbs being $10 +/- this is not an inexpensive conversion, but the reduction in power consumed and heat produced, plus the longevity . . . will make this worth it.

BTW, to Gary's comment on the animals in our picture . . . there was discussion a while back about the two legged kids taking over the recliners and I posted this pic to show that we have the same problem with our four legged ones. I see by your picture that you have a similar affliction . . . Border Collie or Australian Shepherd ?

Rob
    Thanks Rob, That's probably what I will go with, I appreciate your and Andy's research work. Still can't get the bulb base out. Tried the needle nose pliers and it just wont come out of the fixture. The socket wants to turn and I can't stop it due to the shade. I will probably wait and have a dealer do it at this point. I have used pliers before with standard lights successfully a number of times.

Rob, my dog is an Australian Sheppard, one year old. I've had him for six months. I know, I must be crazy.
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try posting your question about how to get the shades off, in the manufacturer 's tech section.
    Grand Design monitors questions posted there.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, I did. Usually they are good at answering questions. I should have posted there too.
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana

jamesm
    unscrew the light fixture from the top wood panel . Take the wires apart at the connection. Unscrew the shade and pull the wires down through the rod and then unscrew the shade. After getting bulb out put the whole light back together and connect to wires . Put the 2 screws that hold it to the wood.