User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Queen size bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, why does TemperPedic not need a ventilating substrate?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John303 View Post
    So, why does TemperPedic not need a ventilating substrate?
    I haven't found an answer for that one. They put them on their own solid metal platforms with nothing in between (my wife had a TempurPedic twin adjustable when we got married). Their mattresses are not "flipable" and I assume they've put some low-density, breathable material on the bottom and covered it with a breathing/ventilated fabric.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I am learning to use the search bar. I did it for battery but do not see anything on battery chargers

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Did you use the search function on the forum prior to starting this thread? There are dozens of threads on this topic.

As for us, my wife and I agree that our Tuft & Needle mattress is the best we've slept on in our lives (and I have three bad lumbar discs and arthritis elsewhere). Just be aware that, any foam mattress other than TempurPedic requires a ventilating substrate over the plywood platform to prevent condensation and mold/mildew:

https://www.mattressinsider.com/matt...revention.html

Rob
    Have heard of issues with foam mattresses and moisture, but never seen it. The use of a foam topper on the stock mattress greatly improved the bed, also some queen sheets we had from our skinny mattress at home days fit very well. The stock mattress provides some ventilation.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRIANV View Post
    Looking for recommendations on a good bed that is comfortable but does not way 150lbs any recommendation
    A fair number of people above have said that a 2" or 3" foam topper was the solution for them. Obviously if they think so then it WAS a solution for them... no need for those people leap into debate with the following.

I've already reported above that we bought a "proper" foam mattress - ours is Casper, the company that popularized foam mattresses, but there are quite a few competitors out there and some are less expensive.

I didn't report that we did this after trying two different toppers, one gel-type from Walmart and another from a Canadian specialty chain called Sleep Country. They were not a solution for us, and we blew close to $400 on them.

I'm very heavy, so my report might be considered an exception except that my wife is not - she is below-average weight for women in their sixties, weighs less than she did as a teenager (she asked me to add that!) We found that when the toppers were used atop the junk mattress provided by Grand Design we found that

- I still very firmly felt the board underneath,

- my wife still found the bed too hard, and

- we both felt like we were sleeping in deep holes, requiring effort to move around and to climb (literally!) out of bed.

Perhaps our mattress was even worse than the typical GD/Lippert factory junk. IIRC it was called "Weekender", which seems an odd choice by Grand Design for a trailer they promote for full-time living. The mattress easily compressed to nearly nothing so after adding the pads our bed was only a little better than the foam topper alone would be.

Hope this helps someone make the right choice for themselves.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post

A fair number of people above have said that a 2" or 3" foam topper was the solution for them. Obviously if they think so then it WAS a solution for them... no need for those people leap into debate with the following.

- my wife still found the bed too hard, and

- we both felt like we were sleeping in deep holes, requiring effort to move around and to climb (literally!) out of bed.

Hope this helps someone make the right choice for themselves.
    To points one and two - same here with the foam toppers. DW decided on a different topper, not foam. I was OK with the original mattress - DW was not. The new topper is one she likes, and does not bother me, so it stays. I did not like the foam for #2 above. I move around quite a bit when sleeping. I just couldn't do that with the foam.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We sleep on the OEM 3 times with a 4" topper we had in our previous rig. Didn't work for wife so we took the pillow top queen from our guest room, added the 4" topper and it was a lot better but still not perfect for her. One thing we noticed right away was with the taller mattress you're much more confined in the bed slide out. I think if I sat up i'd bonk my head on the top of the slide. I'll have too look into the suggestion posted here... Thanks,
    2022 F350 DRW - Lariat, LBCC, 4x4, 7.3L, 4.30 gears
    2018 Imagine 2150RB (SOLD)
    2005 Four Wheel Camper, Grandby (Slide-in Popup)
    2020 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with a Sleep Number mattress. How much lighter can you get since it is mostly air???

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    I went with a Sleep Number mattress. How much lighter can you get since it is mostly air???
    We did the same on our last three rigs. Even replaced all our mattresses in the house with Sleep Number. They are WAY overpriced for what you get but they work! For us.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a sleep number also. Bought a new 287 RLTS and swapped mattresses when we picked it up! The only way to go when you have a worn out back. Same mattress at home.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast