Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Propane Tanks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane Tanks

I have a 2020 GD 150 230 RL, i am surprised there is no way to tell how to see how much propane. I see there are some apps and stuff you can put on it to be able to check. I have 2 tanks any advise appreciated

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several different options. I recently bought this and find it accurate and easy to use. I have considered the Bluetooth ones that mount to tanks but reviews were all over the place. If you have easy access to your tanks it is fairly convenient to use. Over time you will also get pretty good at guesstimating your usage.

https://www.amazon.com/LevelCheck-Pr.../dp/B07B5TSRJT
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Mopeka sensors and their bluetooth app. Works a treat.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was the first one I was looking at the only bad reviews were on the feet that sale an aluminum replacement feet for like $11.00

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use the Truma Level Check and have been very satisfied with the performance.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRIANV View Post
    I have a 2020 GD 150 230 RL, i am surprised there is no way to tell how to see how much propane. I see there are some apps and stuff you can put on it to be able to check. I have 2 tanks any advise appreciated
    I found this information very useful to finally understand all of the information stamped on the propane cylinders. Because I too didn't know how to figure out what is left in my tanks when we purchased our 2017 303rls.

This is the website and below is one on the posts that clears everything up for me anyway. now it is just a matter of weighing the tanks. Hope it helps.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-we...-propane-tanks

Andrea May
    , Instructional Designer for the Propane Industry Certified Employee Training Prog
    Answered May 20, 2016

I want to add a clarification to Tom’s answer. He is right that there are 20 lb and 100 lb cylinders, for example, and adding that number to the cylinder tare weight gives you the weight of the cylinder filled to capacity. What I want to clarify is that 20 lb or 100 lb, for example, is NOT stamped anywhere on the cylinder. What is stamped on the cylinder is its water capacity (W.C.). To determine the propane capacity of a cylinder you must multiple the water capacity by .42.

So if the water capacity of a cylinder is 239 lb and you multiply that by .42, you get the maximum propane capacity of 100 lb. This number, added to the cylinder tare weight, is the total weight of the cylinder when filled to maximum capacity.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I have a regulator that will auto-switch to the second tank, when the first is empty, I never use it. I keep my second tank closed, and it is a back-up if the first runs dry. Although it may be a bit of an inconvenience if it were to run dry in the middle of a cold night, it’s worth it to know that I have a full back-up. If I turn on the second tank, the first one is refilled the next day. The nice thing about the tanks on trailers and fifth-wheels is that they can be taken out, put in the back of the truck, then refilled. No need to reconnect and move the trailer, like you have to do with a motorhome.

I usually fill the first tank before it’s empty, so I have only truly run the first tank dry once. If you’re unsure how much propane is left in the primary tank, you can weigh it, as mentioned above.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too use the Mopeka system on my two 30 lb tanks on the trailer. If you buy the Monitor, it will only show the level with a set of lights.....so not extremely helpful. If you download the free app for it (IOS and Android available), it actually shows the amount in percentage of of full. And on the app, you can name the tanks whatever you want....Tank 1...Tank 2....or you can do what I did for mine....Curbside Tank and Streetside Tank, then there is no confusion which one is which. The standard sensor will work on a 20, 30, and 40 lb tanks, both via the app and the self contained wall monitor. If you need one for a larger tank, like say a 100 lb tank like i have on the back of the house for the fireplace, you will need an "XL" sensor for that. Those sensors will work for 100 lb tanks all the way up to 1000 lb tanks. The XL sensor will not talk to the free standing monitor though, you have to use the phone app to read those sensors.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I too use the Mopeka system on my two 30 lb tanks on the trailer. If you buy the Monitor, it will only show the level with a set of lights.....so not extremely helpful. If you download the free app for it (IOS and Android available), it actually shows the amount in percentage of of full. And on the app, you can name the tanks whatever you want....Tank 1...Tank 2....or you can do what I did for mine....Curbside Tank and Streetside Tank, then there is no confusion which one is which. The standard sensor will work on a 20, 30, and 40 lb tanks, both via the app and the self contained wall monitor. If you need one for a larger tank, like say a 100 lb tank like i have on the back of the house for the fireplace, you will need an "XL" sensor for that. Those sensors will work for 100 lb tanks all the way up to 1000 lb tanks. The XL sensor will not talk to the free standing monitor though, you have to use the phone app to read those sensors.
    To add a bit here....I also love the Mopeka system. Magnetic sensors that I attach to the bottom of my 30 lb tanks. Do have to replace the batteries before each season but that’s simple. And then configure the app. Here are some photos. I hope they help. As you can see, I just filled up so they are both full.oh. And I do t worry about this aluminum feet they send along. Works fine in this configuration without those. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1790.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	28122
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	28123
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	28124

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rgkeaney; 07-16-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins