User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Auto manufacturers have quality paint booths and have been doing this a long time. RVs, not so good and not so long. Consider that a typical FBP is a 50' paint job. My guess but I doubt anyone would accept an RV quality paint job on their Ford pickup.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ordered our Solitude without FBP - electing to take half the cost of the FBP and put it into the MORryde IS and disc brakes. Properly maintained, the gelcoat on our Reflection still looks great after five years (though decals can be a problem). I owned boats for the 40 years prior to getting back into RVing (only one of them painted vs. fiberglass gelcoat). The gelcoat finishes on the GD RVs is heads and shoulders above what the boats' were. With proper UV protection, our Reflection finish has been lower maintenance and has held up much better than any of my boats ever did.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chunker and Second Chance, Thank you for taking time to reply. Valid points from both, I was a competitive in the bass fishing world, owned a number of high end fiberglass boats, hit or miss on the gelcoat, Chunker, good point, exactly why I'm gonna do some research with local painters...the 395M is a shade over 42' so gonna get some quotes on 43' with some striping...I prefer a bit more subdued than that of the factory...but, if factory wins on price and quality I'll bite the bullet...

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Headin Out 2 View Post
    but, if factory wins on price and quality I'll bite the bullet...
    Factory may beat price, but Im betting unless you hire someone from MAACO or a cut rate paint shop, quality will go to the local painter.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    They also come painted from their supplier.

The FBP gets done at a completely different facility.
    Steve often first attempts at FBP in RVs don't turn out well, learning curve etc. Have you seen any difference in the quality from the paint facility from when they started and the current ones? I have seen a couple comments that people ordered without the decals since they were planning a paint job at a local facility. Does that result in any $$ discount?

For anyone else, what kind of quote have you received for a full body paint on a 40+-' 5th wheel? On another forum I follow I have seen several comments about taking a coach to northern Mexico, not sure where exactly, and getting painted. Comments were positive for the quality they got and price was significantly less than a typical "north of the border". BUT with the current climate and border issues, I'm not sure I would want to do that since it would be easy potentially for bad guys to stash something in the RV and if it didn't get confiscated at the border, along with everything you own, you surely would get a visit from a cartel member to "retrieve" their package.
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    Steve often first attempts at FBP in RVs don't turn out well, learning curve etc. Have you seen any difference in the quality from the paint facility from when they started and the current ones? I have seen a couple comments that people ordered without the decals since they were planning a paint job at a local facility. Does that result in any $$ discount?

For anyone else, what kind of quote have you received for a full body paint on a 40+-' 5th wheel? On another forum I follow I have seen several comments about taking a coach to northern Mexico, not sure where exactly, and getting painted. Comments were positive for the quality they got and price was significantly less than a typical "north of the border". BUT with the current climate and border issues, I'm not sure I would want to do that since it would be easy potentially for bad guys to stash something in the RV and if it didn't get confiscated at the border, along with everything you own, you surely would get a visit from a cartel member to "retrieve" their package.
    The paint actually looks really good on these. No paint lines to feel, double clearcoat. The same facility paints these as does the high end diesel Entegra coaches.

They've been offering fbp for several years now, starting on Momentum, then progressed to the Solitude.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picking at the local painter thoughts a little more. Unless a local painter has business where he needs to paint a 40+ foot vehicle, likely he will not have the facility to do so. Also, I would suspect the local guy will take a month of Sunday's to get the job done. Generally speaking, paint and body shops have a backlog and they work on multiple things simultaneously.

When the cap faded on my Primetime Lacrosse, the dealer contracted it out to a local guy. Just so happened I had done business with him before. It turned out great, but he removed the cap to paint it in the booth. He did not have a facility that would accommodate a 40 ft (or even 37 ft which mine was) trailer to do a FBP.

Bottom line - I bet you will have difficulty finding a local guy to do it. And if he's set up to do it, he will be more expensive than the factory (or whoever does it for the factory). Quality likely will be better, if that is his business, but you will pay more.

I hope you come back and let us know what the quotes are that you get.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The paint actually looks really good on these. No paint lines to feel, double clearcoat. The same facility paints these as does the high end diesel Entegra coaches. They've been offering fbp for several years now, starting on Momentum, then progressed to the Solitude.
    This is correct. Also, they don't install the external hardware until after the RV comes back from paint. They then do a second PDI.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The paint actually looks really good on these. No paint lines to feel, double clearcoat. The same facility paints these as does the high end diesel Entegra coaches.

They've been offering fbp for several years now, starting on Momentum, then progressed to the Solitude.
    A good quality is nice to know. Summer of 18 we were in Elkhart area for a few days around the time just before the RV show there. We drove around the fairgrounds while vehicles were being set up and a Solitude came in with the lighter color FBP on it. Looked good but we were not able to get too close only about 100'. I wish the lighter colors were offered with the Momentum, I am NOT a fan of all the blacks, dark browns, etc. that is the current trend on RV paint jobs. The Itasca motorhome is a silver and medium blue/silver combinations and very nice but all those "cayenne" and black colors are the current rage.
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    This is correct. Also, they don't install the external hardware until after the RV comes back from paint. They then do a second PDI.
    On my momentum, 2019 394M, the hardware was installed before the paint. They just taped everything before paint. I can assure you this is the case as I have replaced every incandescent marker light, replaced the front door window and door locks.

It’s my understanding that this is the process on all FBP within the grand design line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SW of ATL
    2018 F350 CC DRW
    2019 Momentum 394M

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast